Time to rethink prostitution ban, say experts

rooster59

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Scrapping the current prostitution laws in favour of legalisation may be one answer, she told the panel.

It's the only thing that ever works.  Making prostitution illegal makes it dangerous for everyone and pointlessly so.  Someone please tell me the harm between consenting adults if money exchanges hands?  IN places where it's legal, such as Germany, it's safe, clean and cheap for all concerned.  Stupid morality laws.... 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we make buying sex illegal, we make them consider: ‘Is it worth it if I have to pay for the sex and offend the law? going on holiday to a country where I get fined for buying sex or smoking on the beach and  pay twice as much for a bottle of wine as I did last year'.

Answers on a postcard, please. First prize is a massage - with no happy ending, obviously. 

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

IT IS AN open secret that, despite being illegal, prostitution is widely practised in Thailand. That striking gulf between the law and reality illustrates the need to amend the laws and decriminalise the sex trade, panellists at a recent seminar said.

Prostitution! In Thailand!? Who'da thought!? 

Mr Spock.jpg

6 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

You can only have so many 7-11 and Family Marts. What would be their alternative method of employment if these ladies of the night were not employed as hookers?

You could say that registering as a hooker as someone who would be taxed etc on income would help on a social benefits idea, but, is Noi from wherever going to declare all her cash payments? would she be happy to accept only credit card payments that could be verified and used for tax deductions. 

I don't know the answers to the above but I do believe it should not be illegal to work as a hooker.

13 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

You can only have so many 7-11 and Family Marts. What would be their alternative method of employment if these ladies of the night were not employed as hookers?

They could use their manual skills to make sausages?

Follow the Dutch model.

legalize sex work, register the workers.

Nearly no street worker hanging around.

All regulated and looked after.

And after a few years all shuts down, the famous redlight district are regulated and nearly nothing is left.

Stil mass of tourist walking around to have a glimp.

49 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

If we make buying sex illegal, we make them consider: ‘Is it worth it if I have to pay for the sex and offend the law? going on holiday to a country where I get fined for buying sex or smoking on the beach and  pay twice as much for a bottle of wine as I did last year'.

Answers on a postcard, please. First prize is a massage - with no happy ending, obviously. 

And it's not even wine most times it's cheap sh-t fruit wine that most alkies would turn their nose up at.

Mind you some of the hookers around pattaya would turn my nose up as well.

8 hours ago, Ugothai said:

what about the north families that send the daughters to make money because they are poor ?? they don't ask how the daughter can make so much money....so they can bild new house, buy the car.....this is thai culture....for how long time ???

Are they really poor or more likely damn lazy ??
Too many job vacancies remain uncovered, as people obviously often prefer their daughters in the trade than moving their arse.

It's pretty well known the biggest brothels and karaoke bars in CM are owned by very senior police. I've never heard of these establishments being raided, which points to blind eyes being turned en masse.

If nothing else, decriminalising prostitution would eliminate national hypocrisy. The vast majority of people using those facilities are Thai.

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

Maybe, if you are pushing the notion that expecting the man to buy dinner is being compensated. If not, then a high percentage of the girls you are dating must be prostitutes.

nope, lots of them even university grads commonly look for financial assistance.  either want to borrow money soon or just free cash.  many with normal day jobs that moonlight at nightclubs.  i knew a lawyer that moonlighted at nightclubs when she wanted to buy a car. she was selecive, not anyone but still the game was the same.

not 100% but very common.

it gets better in higher levels of society or sometimes the higher level gals just look for higher amounts of money.

2 hours ago, atyclb said:

in thailand a high % of girls that you are dating expect to be compensated.   its a cultural thing

A high % of Thai girls I dated actually worked, and while dating me they couldn't work anywhere else. So what if they want compensation for the time?

It doesn't work well to make it illegal to buy sex and at the same time have it legal to sell, just stupid. Here in Sweden prostitution is just as frequent as it was before this law. It's just been more hidden and it's more underground and online. 

I never consider it prostitution, really!! I love to go out at night and meet bar-girls. I love to talk with them. Many are my friends. They are nice to me. Enough said but…sometime they like me enough to go with me. Yes, I give them money because they really need it. I owned a bar…I know most make little money. I never hurt them…they never hurt me. Sometimes we become even better friends but the point is…I go out to have fun and they have fun with me.

That, to me, is not prostitution. It is 2 people who like each other. Yes, reality is she may only like my money but she is good enough not to make it obvious.

4 minutes ago, Tengtai said:

It doesn't work well to make it illegal to buy sex and at the same time have it legal to sell, just stupid. Here in Sweden prostitution is just as frequent as it was before this law. It's just been more hidden and it's more underground and online. 

And how many Swedish sex workersthe get killed now because the customer needs to get rid of a witness?

Archived