Time to rethink prostitution ban, say experts

rooster59

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

So in UK a girl you meet on a night out wants to go for a nice meal and a bottle of wine before jumping in the sack with you is a 'you fill in the blank'

Prostitution is 'here's 50 quid, let's go to bed.'

The big difference out 'here' and what causes confusion in many expat minds is 'here' it's a combination of both sets of circumstances. 

Bar girls here are much better at being the 'girlfriend' compared to the western idea of pay for play.

Anyway, it shouldn't be illegal.

Not arguing the legality of it; just that I don't believe most Thai girls are prostitutes. And, if you think paying for dinner entitles you to sex; well there you are. Why don't you see how much sex you get telling them to go Dutch, or better yet, paying for your dinner.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Not arguing the legality of it; just that I don't believe most Thai girls are prostitutes. And, if you think paying for dinner entitles you to sex; well there you are. Why don't you see how much sex you get telling them to go Dutch, or better yet, paying for your dinner.

I don't believe most are hookers either.

A lot of it depends on your exposure to the girls you meet. Spend your time in bars in Pattaya, Nana and Patpong and it's fairly certain you're not going to meet anyone who isn't 

'on the game.'

Mix with people whose families have the means to get their sons/daughters educated overseas and it's a whole different ball game. 

Going 'dutch' is normal and accepted and going to a nice restaurant in BKK the staff can tell from minute one the difference purely based on the way your 'companion' talks to them and by the way they are dressed. That works all over the world by the way, not just in Thailand. 

You can say it shouldn't be like that as long as you can pay the bill, but you can't change it.

16 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The crime control model we use is clearly not working,” Asst Professor and researcher Mataluk Orungrot from Thammasat University said this week.

????? he nailed it!

I think the “model” is an ad hoc affair, at best.... but certainly it’s “clearly not working”.... I wonder if anyone will listen to him

Okay it seems obvious that those seeing a reason to legalize prostitution probably have used/are using the services of prostitutes.  Generally speaking prostitutes go into the business out of necessity.  Certainly getting banged by a fat sloppy farang in Pattaya cannot be the most rewarding career field.  The thing that keeps the services going is that it is easy money if you have the right mindset as a prostitute.  I will not moralize about the issue but see it as a kind of sad state of affairs that leads to people going into the business. Just remember that for every prostitute supporting a family and sending cash home, there are many others, gambling, spending money on drugs, and getting nowhere in life and many no doubt ending up with HIV.   As someone said certainly the police have no interest in cleaning up the situation nor are they interested in seeing it legalized as it would cut of a generous revenue stream. 

Prostitution is thriving in Thailand, but not in the ways many might think.

Taking Chiang Mai as an example, the sex industry regarding that serving westerners and tourists is virtually dead. Most of what`s available in the city are glorified happy ending parlours at inflated prices and a few bars where women will go with customers for a price, but are not very desirable.

The real Chiang Mai sex industry has been strictly reserved for Thais. There are websites and on facebook where young women are openly advertising themselves, known as sideline girls, but all is in Thai language and most will not go with foreigners. Rarely do foreigners get in on the action and most never get to know about these parallel sex services.

This means that Thai prostitution is mostly a Thai affair, used by Thais and operated by Thais and the Thais prefer it that way.

17 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Clearly it will not be legalized. Think of all the missing tea-money.

And that's the real reason why it will never be legalized !!! they will find some other excuses like the safety of the girls or so, or morality, but this is the real one !!!

32 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Prostitution is thriving in Thailand, but not in the ways many might think.

Taking Chiang Mai as an example, the sex industry regarding that serving westerners and tourists is virtually dead. Most of what`s available in the city are glorified happy ending parlours at inflated prices and a few bars where women will go with customers for a price, but are not very desirable.

The real Chiang Mai sex industry has been strictly reserved for Thais. There are websites and on facebook where young women are openly advertising themselves, known as sideline girls, but all is in Thai language and most will not go with foreigners. Rarely do foreigners get in on the action and most never get to know about these parallel sex services.

This means that Thai prostitution is mostly a Thai affair, used by Thais and operated by Thais and the Thais prefer it that way.

Hmm,...You forget the female students that do this to pay there studies. There are rumours that there is a map with the info to contact some of them...?!?

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

A lot of it depends on your exposure to the girls you meet. Spend your time in bars in Pattaya, Nana and Patpong and it's fairly certain you're not going to meet anyone who isn't 

'on the game.'

Mix with people whose families have the means to get their sons/daughters educated overseas and it's a whole different ball game. 

Going 'dutch' is normal and accepted and going to a nice restaurant in BKK the staff can tell from minute one the difference purely based on the way your 'companion' talks to them and by the way they are dressed. That works all over the world by the way, not just in Thailand. 

You can say it shouldn't be like that as long as you can pay the bill, but you can't change it.

Well,

everyone have an excuse to sell their body in one meaning or another and we can call it "on the game" or "a whole different game", but we cannot deny the real definition of prostitution which cover it all....:coffee1:

1 hour ago, off road pat said:

Hmm,...You forget the female students that do this to pay there studies. There are rumours that there is a map with the info to contact some of them...?!?

Many are female students and many are just young girls trying to make extra money.

They are easy to contact, just type; Thailand sideline girls into Google and you will be hit with scores of websites and details.

Easy to contact, but the trick is, you will need to be able to speak, read and write fluent Thai in order to communicate with them. And this is what I mean by, reserved for Thais.

Prostitution has been around for thousands of years so why not legalise it? This would give the prostitute more security there could be a set tarrif for sex that all prostitutes charge.

The customer pays the set fee so everyone knows where they stand reducing the risk of confrontation for the prostitute. All the prostitute have to undergo a weekly medical examination with a certificate of good health issued.

43 minutes ago, erikyoung said:

Prostitution has been around for thousands of years so why not legalise it? This would give the prostitute more security there could be a set tarrif for sex that all prostitutes charge.

The customer pays the set fee so everyone knows where they stand reducing the risk of confrontation for the prostitute. All the prostitute have to undergo a weekly medical examination with a certificate of good health issued.

It won`t be legalised in Thailand, bad for business. There are no ways mafia gangs, corrupt police and officials and big business will let such a lucrative business like the Thai sex industry slip from under their control. forget it, it won`t happen.

19 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Well you mention virgin auctions which I would have thought was trafficking ?  Most certainly not allowed on ebay but guess is available on the Dark Web sites.

An adult American girl auctioned her virginity a few months ago. Trafficking had nothing to do with it. We might find the idea shocking and even distasteful..But it's their choice..For every individual who Is a victim of real enforced slavery and trafficking there are 99 or 999 people who are not trafficked, who are in control of their lives. 

What I have not seen any mention of is a committee being set up to investigate in more depth the real state  of prostitution in Thailand.   Of course this would require a lot of under the covers work by a large number of members,   intensive internal investigations,  possibly led by an independent outsider,  say a Greek, who could get a breast of the situation and determine the real position  in order to root out the facts in what  clearly has some very hard issues to be cracked.  Of course given the nature of the investigation all members would need to be hands on, and their integrity preserved by ensuring wannbe investigators don't enter via the back door as that would be a dirty trick to try.

12 hours ago, overherebc said:

'on the game.'

Good, glad to hear you too see a different side to Thais. My first Thai girlfriend owned a travel agency in Bangkok; her father set her up in it. So, I learned early, circa 1967-68, that all Thai women were not prostitutes. My son is married to a Thai, she is an industrial engineer. When they met, he was an NES teacher and she was employed by an American MNC and made more money than he did. 

During my 50+ years in and out of Thailand, my eleven years living here, making Thai friends, knowing and doing business with several Thai classmates during my master's and doctoral studies in the US, and knowing many farangs married to Thais;  I have met many Thai women who were not prostitutes.

However, I have to admit, the majority of Thai women I know who are married to farangs are, or were, bar girls and prostitutes. I say, "are or were" because some of them still are selling themselves; if not on the open market, then on a closed market at home. Don't get me wrong, some of the former bar girls/prostitutes have become fine wives, true to their husbands. However, many of the farang "husbands" are no more than long-term customers, supporting an extended family and being cuckolded by their Thai spouse with her "brothers" and "cousins." 

So, I do understand the many posters who state and obviously believe that all, or most, Thai women are prostitutes. As you say, you need to get out and meet a  different class of people than you can meet hanging around the bars.

20 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Good, glad to hear you too see a different side to Thais. My first Thai girlfriend owned a travel agency in Bangkok; her father set her up in it. So, I learned early, circa 1967-68, that all Thai women were not prostitutes. My son is married to a Thai, she is an industrial engineer. When they met, he was an NES teacher and she was employed by an American MNC and made more money than he did. 

During my 50+ years in and out of Thailand, my eleven years living here, making Thai friends, knowing and doing business with several Thai classmates during my master's and doctoral studies in the US, and knowing many farangs married to Thais;  I have met many Thai women who were not prostitutes.

However, I have to admit, the majority of Thai women I know who are married to farangs are, or were, bar girls and prostitutes. I say, "are or were" because some of them still are selling themselves; if not on the open market, then on a closed market at home. Don't get me wrong, some of the former bar girls/prostitutes have become fine wives, true to their husbands. However, many of the farang "husbands" are no more than long-term customers, supporting an extended family and being cuckolded by their Thai spouse with her "brothers" and "cousins." 

So, I do understand the many posters who state and obviously believe that all, or most, Thai women are prostitutes. As you say, you need to get out and meet a  different class of people than you can meet hanging around the bars.

One friend is married to a doctor here and she is so subtle at putting down guys in company who try to come out with sexist comments most of them don't even realise she is doing it. Educated and qualified in the UK.

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

One friend is married to a doctor here and she is so subtle at putting down guys in company who try to come out with sexist comments most of them don't even realise she is doing it. Educated and qualified in the UK.

Yes, it is sweet. I like a good-looking, intelligent and capable woman. Someone who can do more than just spread her legs.

13 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Usually to  be found under a rainbow !

I feel sorry for you if you believe your chances of finding a good-looking, intelligent, and capable woman is as rare as a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. What a low-opinion you must have of yourself.

24 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I feel sorry for you if you believe your chances of finding a good-looking, intelligent, and capable woman is as rare as a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. What a low-opinion you must have of yourself.

Hardly a low opinion of myself,  just not an exaggerated story like you posted that exemplified your own bigotry and pomposity.  But still , just carry on in your own pretentious delusional world because clearly you are unable to accept reality.

"The idea in this approach is to decriminalise the sex workers, while making it harder for customers to buy their services. That should reduce prostitution over the long run, Mataluk said, without further victimising the prostitute. 

“If we punish the customers or make buying sex illegal, we make them consider: ‘Is it worth it if I have to pay for the sex and offend the law?’ When the investment is risky, do they still want to invest?” -------

Before the self described "experts"  do any more damage to the country, ask yourself how has this same policy reduced the Drug trade.....Treat the seller as a victim and criminalize the buyer........freakin smart idea that one....Where the heck does the Nation find these buffalos ?

Archived