BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sweatalot

weeds and reed in a pool - how to get rid of it

we've got a klong ( ca. 10 X 6 m) close to our house. It is full of weeds and reed.

We would like to have a nice pool (no plan to swim, the dogs probably will, as they do now)

The Thai neigbours and family recommend poison.

I don't have a better idea, too, so probably will use posion.

Every idea which one can be used? It should be effective and safe and disappear soon. 

Any idea for another way?

we've got a klong ( ca. 10 X 6 m) close to our house. It is full of weeds and reed.
We would like to have a nice pool (no plan to swim, the dogs probably will, as they do now)

The Thai neigbours and family recommend poison.

I don't have a better idea, too, so probably will use posion.
Every idea which one can be used? It should be effective and safe and disappear soon. 
Any idea for another way?
What do you mean by pool? It sounds more like a pond. Klong is the Thai word for canal AFAIK.
What is the later purpose of the pond?

Without knowing the details, excavation is the better alternative in my opinion.

Once you have a dead pond, no plants, no fish what do you intended doing? And you probably want to keep the dogs out of it too.

Physical removal of the overgrowth either by hand or with a small machine (backhoe) is the way forwards. Maybe reinforce the banks where your dogs go in and out, plant up around the margins with suitable green stuff. Bung a few fish in it and you're good to go.

All sorts of life will move in very rapidly, frogs, snakes to eat the frogs, even water fowl.

Any pond here which isn't concrete is going to need maintenance to keep the unwanted plant life down.

6 minutes ago, CLW said:

What do you mean by pool? It sounds more like a pond. Klong is the Thai word for canal AFAIK.
What is the later purpose of the pond?

Without knowing the details, excavation is the better alternative in my opinion.

yes, pond would be the better word. Now  it is just a ditch half full of water. we had a backhoe there a few years ago to make it deeper - the weeds disappeared for some time -but now they are all back.  We don't want the backhoe again

the last time they removed more than 100 trucks (I guess about 5 tons each) full of soil. 

The purpose for the pond now is to look nice in front of our new built house close to it. Probably some fish in it and may be some  nice plants.

Back pond at our first house became over-grown, and to my chagrin, the MIL put in those flowering lily pads saying "just a few wont hurt, they look so nice". 

A few of the brothers spent a couple of days in my cheap, plastic boat cleaning all that stuff out.  You could probably hire a couple guys to do it for you and/or use heavier equipment as suggested. 

about the backhoe. I am searching if I can find a pic how it looks now

2037375637_backhoe2.jpg.5119f462aeee1cc4066d14a1f241de97.jpg1758448717_backhoe1a.jpg.7edd817bc968c0c8fd3478e76a307032.jpg

17 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

A few of the brothers spent a couple of days in my cheap, plastic boat cleaning all that stuff out.  You could probably hire a couple guys to do it for you ...

If it's not too far gone this could be the solution.

Whatever happens you will need to maintain it regularly, taking out any plants you don't want.

EDIT If you have space geese look nice and can help keep the growth down. They also lay delicious eggs (make sure you get a pair not just two). Ah, and they make great assistants for your guard dogs.

that's the way it looked 5 years ago. much more vegetation now

klong.thumb.jpg.2f05cdc240f4e5451aa80926c9c1856f.jpg

2 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

that's the way it looked 5 years ago. much more vegetation now

Looks good, all you have to do is get it back like that and don't let it get away from you again ?

32 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Once you have a dead pond, no plants, no fish what do you intended doing? And you probably want to keep the dogs out of it too.

that's the point of my question - I wonder if the poison will deteriorate after some time so that the pond will not remain dead. Our Thai neighbours claim the poison will go away after one week. Brother in law made his fish pool deeper used poison and grew fish in the pool. Vegetation did not come back

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Looks good, all you have to do is get it back like that and don't let it get away from you again ?

but you can hardly see the water anymore because of the plants

1 minute ago, sweatalot said:

but you can hardly see the water anymore because of the plants

Exactly, you have to get the plants out, then keep them out by constant maintenance. 

Creatures can help you, geese, maybe ducks and fish by eating a lot of the stuff that starts growing. It's never going to be clear like a koi pond, so don't put fancy fish in there, tilapia are cheap, breed fast, eat plants and are good eating when they get big enough.

You need to get an ecosystem going and then you should just need to help it along once or twice a month (you will likely need a boat).

What you will never be able to do is just leave it alone, as you've discovered.

24 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

about the backhoe. I am searching if I can find a pic how it looks now

2037375637_backhoe2.jpg.5119f462aeee1cc4066d14a1f241de97.jpg1758448717_backhoe1a.jpg.7edd817bc968c0c8fd3478e76a307032.jpg

Looks like a really nice spot!  ?

Don't forget, if you do kill off the plant life with chemicals, you are still going to have the haul the dead stuff out out by hand (or it will smell really bad really quickly). So haul it out by hand anyway without killing your pond.

You buy a nice hippo, make it your pet (hippo's eat plants)...post it in thai newspapers, start selling tickets and reservations for 5 times ticketprice....visitors will come every day, after 6 weeks chinese grouptours come to see, you get rich, build a new home next to this one and hire staff to handle the tourists.