Jump to content

weeds and reed in a pool - how to get rid of it


sweatalot

Recommended Posts

Muscovy ducks are really good at eating all the vegetation in a pond.  They will swim about and much down all the green stuff in a few weeks.  

 

They also give you delicious eggs, keeps pest numbers down, are delicious themselves when they get big, and are interesting to watch and have about.

 

We had a pond full of lotus and floating weeds.  Could not see the water surface.  I got only 6 ducks and in less than a month the water surface was totally clear of vegetation.  

 

Geese will usually not eat much of the aquatic vegetation.  They like to graze on the grass outside the pond (in my experience).

 

 

Ducks.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you can see from the replies, your "decorative" pond can provide a load of really healthy food as well as looking nice (provided you like eating eggs, duck and fish).

 

The more nutrients you can extract from it (in the form of stuff you eat) the less actual maintenance you will need to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a big pond, it gets overgrown with lilies and reeds I have found the only way is to send wife and young sister in there to clear it out manually.

Pond.jpg

Pond 1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great ideas, thank you all,  please don't stop to let more come. 

I start getting away from the chemical idea, I never liked it, but still I do not exclude it. The backhoe was about 15000 Baht last time - might be useful again. Geese and other birds are not possible unfortunately - our big dogs would enjoy them  for lunch. But I am looking for ads regarding hippos ? What about big catfish?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

Great ideas, thank you all,  please don't stop to let more come. 

I start getting away from the chemical idea, I never liked it, but still I do not exclude it. The backhoe was about 15000 Baht last time - might be useful again. Geese and other birds are not possible unfortunately - our big dogs would enjoy them  for lunch. But I am looking for ads regarding hippos ? What about big catfish?

Doubt your dog would get the better of a goose.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting suggestions, - Hippo?  But I'm sure you are serious and also interested in practical and cost effective vegetation management.  If you can find an effective biodegradable herbicide it would be less of an issue for environmental contamination and much cheaper than a big labor or equipment project, plus disposal. This type of herbicide won't be nearly as effective or translocate into the root systems for a complete kill, or suppress regrowth like a systemic chemical herbicide would, like RoundUP.  

 

There are organic program compatible, biodegradable herbicides available in the US, but haven't tried to find these yet in Thailand. Maybe other  members will recognize the active ingredients from the products mentioned in the linked article, if they have seen and used them.  Vinegar (acetic acid) may be the most available of these I believe.  I don't know if Wood Vinegar would do it, but you can get that and a hand held pump up garden sprayer at Home Pro. 

 

And Crossy's observation is so true, you kill the vegetation, now what?  Other than physical removal, an EM product (effective microorganisms) may help decompose the residual dead growth and clean the water. 

 

http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=6498

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Geese and other birds are not possible unfortunately - our big dogs would enjoy them  for lunch.

Dogs can be trained to leave the other pets alone without compromising their guarding ability.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

By poison do you mean algicide ?,that would kill all the plants

in the water but you would have to remove the dead plants as

they will rot in the water and make a smelly mess, once cleared

of dead plants you could put fish in,but without some plants

in the water, it will turn green.

regards worgeordie

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Dogs can be trained to leave the other pets alone without compromising their guarding ability.

 

Very true.  I always train my dogs never to kill anything.. or chase anything.. because I have chickens and ducks and other pets.

 

The 2 dogs I have now walk about with the chicken flock and act as their protection... and keep cats away from my smaller birds too.

 

OP.. Maybe rent a couple of Buffalo for a week...they will eat all the greenery and deepen the pond when they go for a mud bath.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

By poison do you mean algicide ?,that would kill all the plants

in the water but you would have to remove the dead plants as

they will rot in the water and make a smelly mess, once cleared

of dead plants you could put fish in,but without some plants

in the water, it will turn green.

regards worgeordie

Have you used the authentic Japanese technology based EM products..  We have a little water fountain in our garden and I was putting off cleaning it because I thought I would have to net out the fish, drain the water and scrub it.  It was getting ridiculous, recirculating pump straining from moving thick green gunk and the sides were thick with algae.  I had picked up a liter of EM when I was buying some organic fertilizer components, so I put some EM in the water fountain and within a few days the algae was gone, yes gone, and the water was clear, I could see the bottom for the first time. The fish were energized, brighter colors, hungry and pregnant. 

The Japanese/Thai company that makes it here in Samut Prakan, contracts for water management at wastewater treatment plants, fish and shrimp farms. They say it clears the water, eliminates odors and pathogens that cause shrimp and fish diseases.  They also use it in their "bokashi" organic fertilizer product. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2018 at 6:04 PM, sweatalot said:

Great ideas, thank you all,  please don't stop to let more come. 

I start getting away from the chemical idea, I never liked it, but still I do not exclude it. The backhoe was about 15000 Baht last time - might be useful again. Geese and other birds are not possible unfortunately - our big dogs would enjoy them  for lunch. But I am looking for ads regarding hippos ? What about big catfish?

Catfish, Blar-Dok,or Blar Chon ,are bottom feeders, that is they live at the bottom of ponds /rivers etc , they will not eat any plants

As has been said Nile Tilapia, Blar- Nin and Blar Tar-Pee -en( whatever they are in English ), will eat vegetation in the pond.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Very true.  I always train my dogs never to kill anything.. or chase anything.. because I have chickens and ducks and other pets.

 

The 2 dogs I have now walk about with the chicken flock and act as their protection... and keep cats away from my smaller birds too.

 

OP.. Maybe rent a couple of Buffalo for a week...they will eat all the greenery and deepen the pond when they go for a mud bath.  

More power too you, you're a better dog trainer than I am. 

 

I tried to tell my farm dog to bring home the dead neighbors chicken when he killed one that strayed into our orchard. But he'd just leave it lay, so I had to pay the neighbor 100 baht for the dead trespasser chicken to keep the peace, and I didn't even get to eat it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, drtreelove said:

More power too you, you're a better dog trainer than I am. 

 

I tried to tell my farm dog to bring home the dead neighbors chicken when he killed one that strayed into our orchard. But he'd just leave it lay, so I had to pay the neighbor 100 baht for the dead trespasser chicken to keep the peace, and I didn't even get to eat it. 

You were lucky your neighbour did not say it was a prize winning pedigree fighting rooster.... they can be really expensive.

 

It is easier to train dogs to guard livestock when they are puppies.  You could still do it with your adult dogs if they are not in the habit of killing things, but I would never trust them to be alone with other animals if you were not about.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...