weeds and reed in a pool - how to get rid of it

sweatalot

On 9/1/2018 at 7:49 AM, Esso49 said:

Doubt your dog would get the better of a goose.

That is what I thought also, but my dogs managed to kill a couple of them and now I have to keep them caged. We have a fairly large pond, with lots of fish, no problems with weeds in the pond, only on the surrounding areas which we try to keep cut back

On 9/1/2018 at 4:30 PM, sweatalot said:
On 9/1/2018 at 4:03 PM, Crossy said:

Once you have a dead pond, no plants, no fish what do you intended doing? And you probably want to keep the dogs out of it too.

that's the point of my question - I wonder if the poison will deteriorate after some time so that the pond will not remain dead. Our Thai neighbours claim the poison will go away after one week. Brother in law made his fish pool deeper used poison and grew fish in the pool. Vegetation did not come back

Why not look at the poisons recommended by the neighbor. Research them on the internet. By the way most poisons do not turn it into a combination Dead Sea, Death Valley wasteland. Dig it out with a backhoe is great. But its expensive and of course the reeds and weeds will immediately come back. You'll need to get them immediately when the first come up. Easier to tear out when they are young

Pacu (a type of vegetarian piranha from Sth America) will eat all those water weeds. I'm not sure what the fish is called in Thailand, but it is available from many fish farms.

This is a longer term solution. Put in 50 fingerlings and within 2 years the vegetation will be gone. They grow very fast. Then catch the fish and eat them. 

Picture below.

Big Pacu 3.jpg

On 9/1/2018 at 12:21 PM, Rimmer said:

We have a big pond, it gets overgrown with lilies and reeds I have found the only way is to send wife and young sister in there to clear it out manually.

Pond.jpg

Pond 1.jpg

You can buy a cheap net, 2 persons one on each side of the pond and drag the net through the pond....that's how i would do it anyway.

10 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Pacu (a type of vegetarian piranha from Sth America) will eat all those water weeds. I'm not sure what the fish is called in Thailand, but it is available from many fish farms.

This is a longer term solution. Put in 50 fingerlings and within 2 years the vegetation will be gone. They grow very fast. Then catch the fish and eat them. 

Picture below.

Big Pacu 3.jpg

Sounds interesting - but piranha? Will they try to eat my dogs? 

Is the fish on the foto only 2 years old?

12 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Picture below.

Big Pacu 3.jpg

It is ปลาจาระเม้ด Plar -Jar-ar-met ,in Thai ,a nice eating fish lots of meat.

A few years ago near us we had some floods and a farmers  rearing this fish got flooded all the fish escaped, son in law, netted one in a ditch, as big as this, very nice it was to, not a cheap fish to buy well over 100baht/kg ,they say this farmer lost 1 million baht in lost fish. 

The Pacu won't bother your dog or any other fish you care to put in the pond.

They'll keep the water plants down permanently. The reeds will, of course, grow back as the water recedes during the dry season. But the fish will eat them when the water recovers them during the wet.

The main problem is that you can't grow lilies or other attractive water plants. The Pacu will eat them all.

On 9/4/2018 at 10:09 AM, AsiaHand said:

The US Air Force and the companies of Dow Chemical with Monsanto  has shown a large advancement in most all floral removal during the 1960s/70s.

Thank you very much for your recommendation  - but I decided not to ask them for help

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2018 at 7:33 AM, Thian said:

You can buy a cheap net, 2 persons one on each side of the pond and drag the net through the pond....that's how i would do it anyway.

You are obviously not very familiar with the root structure of a water lily which bury themselves up to two feet deep in the mud at the bottom of the pond and contain  hundreds of white roots, the only way is to dig them out one by one.

7 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

You are obviously not very familiar with the root structure of a water lily which bury themselves up to two feet deep in the mud at the bottom of the pond and contain  hundreds of white roots, the only way is to dig them out one by one.

Are they the lotus ? I see thai standing in our lakes and pulling them out when they are all over the place.

But isn't there some animal who eats it? Capibara maybe or a fish? Or just pump it empty and let all dry up...

1 hour ago, Thian said:

Are they the lotus ? I see thai standing in our lakes and pulling them out when they are all over the place.

But isn't there some animal who eats it? Capibara maybe or a fish? Or just pump it empty and let all dry up...

All the coy and Talapia in there will die with no water :sad:

Archived