VIDEO: Speeding Thai minivan driver rages at foreign tourist who told him to slow down

rooster59

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The depressing aspect is that this driver will be back at it tomorrow and the government, despite all its promises to the contrary will have done nothing. The van operator will have done nothing. I

The reality is that the Thai government doesn't care about its people, nor do Thais care about their own safety, otherwise they would have done something about this long ago. If the Thais don't care, then foreigners should not worry about them, and should look after themselves first.  If one values his/her life, one does not take mini vans in Thailand. You want cheap transport, than accept that the Thais also consider life cheap.

I had a similar incident from Koh Lanta to Krabi Airport on a minivan - the driver was completely oblivious of any danger he could possibly be putting all of the passengers on the van into..... I sat there gradually getting more and more angry as he weaved in and out of the traffic, put his foot to the boards to get into every possible gap either to the left lane or the right, any 'open' road in front of him resulted in 'maximum speed' - I was amazed at his total lack of caution at any junction, inability to read the road ahead of possible dangers and lack of caution at traffic lights. Eventually my cold sweat and white knuckles got the better of me and I shouted "Slow down! - You're going to get us all killed!" He ignored my plea but constantly took his eyes off the road now to glare at me in the mirror..... Even more dangerous!

There were only farangs on the minivan and NOBODY backed me up.

I will NEVER take another minivan in Thailand again - this is not the first time it has happened. Definitely these idiots are not helping the image of Thailand as a tourist destination!

Be safe out there!

On 9/2/2018 at 10:17 AM, ChrisY1 said:

I wonder if many foreigners know what Thais think of them?

I wonder if many Thais know what foreigners think of them. 

Its a two way street ChrisY1.

I do wonder if many Thais  read this forum, especially the Pattaya Forum

Not to defend the driver....( the minibuses are some of the worst)

but in the video I saw he didn't seem "raging"  to me,

just the kind of normal poor English skills of most Thais..remember Thai is a tonal language  different tone different word...whereas in English we can use the same word with a different tone to convey a subtle (or not) twist to the word...to some he may sound  "raging" because of his tone of voice ???

I have taken a minivan 4 times in my nine years in Thailand and 2 were terrifying rides and I will NEVER take another van ride again and I encourage anyone who values their lives,  to take a train, bus or plane, or hire a private car.  Too many of the van drivers are TOTALLY STUPID and VERY CARELESS drivers.

11 minutes ago, kev78 said:

He was only doing 80 mph...calm down! People in the UK drive in excess of 100mph all the time.

Well they shouldn't be exceeding 100mph  and will most likely get caught with all the cameras around.

+ generally speaking the roads in UK are much safer for higher speeds because of better driver training and discipline,much higher vehicle "road worthiness" standards much better road  design, layout and maintenance...there is also quite a deterrent to driving  stupidly or drunk  points on the licence for speeding and higher insurance costs for more points etc etc

On 9/2/2018 at 8:30 AM, jouec said:

For a country of people who don't like to lose face, it's almost a national past time.

I wonder if they really know what foreigners think of them?? 

I mean some foreigners are so dumb that their opinion doesn't really matter.   we see this every day.

Many years ago I had to take a taxi to the border and I was worried of accident so I took a 100 baht note stick it into front pocket of the taxi driver and said to him can you drive slowly . I said in thai "kap cha cha dai mai". I also told him when we arrive  another 100 baht for him..(ma tern liao ko hai roy baht)

He was smiling all the way he drove carefully, no taking risk in overtaking big truck.

200 baht to avoid accident or serious injury is worth every baht to me.

Not only Thais drive badly just about everybody in South East Asia drives badly except Singapore.

Someone once said to me, "Go to China and you will think Thais driving is not so bad". He added, "people here(thailand) drive in civilized way".  I haven't been to China yet. Must go there some day to find out or may be die in a vehicle accident in China because of my curiosity. Do China really drive badly a country with 5 ,000 years of civilization?

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The depressing aspect is that this driver will be back at it tomorrow and the government, despite all its promises to the contrary will have done nothing. The van operator will have done nothing. I

The reality is that the Thai government doesn't care about its people, nor do Thais care about their own safety, otherwise they would have done something about this long ago. If the Thais don't care, then foreigners should not worry about them, and should look after themselves first.  If one values his/her life, one does not take mini vans in Thailand. You want cheap transport, than accept that the Thais also consider life cheap.

Probably the best response on this thread. This is why, lovely as they may be in many other facets, I have taken to avoiding locals in any situations where there is significant risk, especially physical risk, but extend to financial risk. 

They do not generally share my values. 

11 hours ago, Spidey said:

The point was that money talks with these guys. If she'd offered the driver 200 baht to stick to the speed limit, he would have taken it. Problem solved.

"Make a rod for your own back",  that's an appropriate idiom for this situation

The "Rod" would be better used on the idiot waster of a dangerous driver

The appropriate idiom for him would be "Spare the rod and spoil the child"

As for you I will remain calm and keep my own council

9 hours ago, Cranky said:

This, like many other 'issues' regarding road safety, pollution, etc. will never be fixed here unless a total renovation from top-down takes place and starts in the schools from age 2.  Like I said, never.

As you say absolutely no chance

The only people who can bring about any worthwhile change are those at the top of the food chain

Why on earth would you want to change anything after your long journey to the top

Would I, I hear you ask, would I hell it would be nosebag time, "BIG TIME"

3 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Probably the best response on this thread. This is why, lovely as they may be in many other facets, I have taken to avoiding locals in any situations where there is significant risk, especially physical risk, but extend to financial risk. 

They do not generally share my values. 

Sad. Time for you to go back to where people share your values.

19 minutes ago, The manic said:

The maximum speed in the UK is 70mph and only on high speed motorways. 

Wrong as usual chap

70MPH on Motorways which are 3 lanes or more

70MPH on Dual carriageways which by the way is 2 lanes, unless signed otherwise

60 MPH on Single carriageways unless signed otherwise

30MPH or less if signed in built up areas

All this from a failing memory   

Archived