VIDEO: Speeding Thai minivan driver rages at foreign tourist who told him to slow down

rooster59

I took a minivan once, never again. He was obviously high on Yaba, was dodging in and out of traffic at high speed, often unnecessarily. He asked my wife aggressively if I was drunk (one can of luke warm Chang), when I permitted myself a quick gasp at one point.so I'm GUESSING he was a Muslim, my wife thought so.

On the video the guy says "Why worry? No police". That sums it up for many Minibus drivers.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, MekkOne said:

Arrest the tourist, and press charge to Sanook for reporting the news!

Unfortunately that does seem to be the first reaction of many Thai officials.

But I wonder if this will change with the proliferation of smart phones and social media?  I have always thought the easy and wide dissemination of this sort of information created serious problems for Thai authorities and gangsters that prey on tourists.

Before, they could deny that this event never happened.  Claim the foreigner was acting unhinged.  Hard to do that now.

Is it any accident that Thailand has a Computer Crimes Act that seems to be designed to stifle dissemination of these sorts of videos?  Is it any accident that truth is not a defense in Thai criminal defamation cases?  

I can see Thai officials and authority figures trying to stifle the dissemination of this sort of information with ridiculous domestic laws rather than addressing underlying problems that give rise to these sorts problems (here, reckless and dangerous driving), but the internet is international and, while I can and do see them expressing tremendous frustration with Facebook, etc. (recall prior failed efforts to "block" Facebook), I can't seem them prevailing. The game has changed.

I would ask the driver to slow down one time. If he did not, I would take him up on his offer, of getting off, regardless of where we were. I would rather walk to another spot where I could catch another one, than die with this maniac. And I would definitely report the super freak driver. The government has been cracking down on mini vans, and compelling many of them to install those beepers, that go off, when they go above 95kph. He would be penalized, if not lose his job altogether, for this.

1 hour ago, jouec said:

For a country of people who don't like to lose face, it's almost a national past time.

I wonder if they really know what foreigners think of them?? 

I wonder if many foreigners know what Thais think of them?

There used to be a phone app called something like  Traffybsafe, that could record all the details regarding the speed and location and if you added in the reg number and hit the submit button, the report went to the DLT

5 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Typical deaf member who cannot listen well. Yes, they did. He asked the Thais and they agreed with the driver. Sigh...

As you seem to know Southern Thai dialect quite well can you translate for the rest of us? 

This is just  more proof that the tourism industry attracts the lowest Thais .

The  true  image of helpful & friendly Thai people  has been ruined by these jerks who think its their right to rip off and harrass foreigners of any race.

Foreigners mostly come into contact with the scum element of Thailand not the real Thais and its that negative impression they take home .

That foreigner was lucky the Thai driver didnt wave a gun in his face. Many vehicles driving in the South have loaded guns under the seat as protection from Malay-Thai insurgents and bandits. Including mini vans.

Very few tourists know this.

Unfortunately this is what happens when we find ourselves  travelling under the control of Thai man who’s got the maturity of a 5 years old boy, they simply backfire at you..Is there anything we can do to make these people be more responsible and considerate towards non Thai people ? I doubt there is..

These minvivans, buses and all public danger so called drivers out there are just an accident waiting to happen at any given time. The most scary part is that you may find the whole country after you just because you’ve tried to teach them some manners ?

2 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Typical Thais. They agreed with the driver. 

"But that wasn’t all. Many of the Thai passengers also complained the driver was rude, bad mannered and had they had been overcharged 150 baht for the journey" ???

"People commenting on social media heavily criticised the driver and said the Department of Land Transport needs to do more about rogue minivan drivers".

Somebody read a different article than I did.

That Scumbag driver needs fined and fired.

I had the same also Phuket to Ranong asked driver to slow down he was just laughing.. i told himabout GPS tracker he said he removed it already and more laughing..

last week Pattaya Song Teaw from Pattaya to Jomtien (didn’t use my own car) takes of in full speed nearly passengers flying out. Full brakes full speed very annoying for us all then I arrived at my destination so i go give my ten bht talk with driver btw its a tomboy i say in Thai language hey why u drive so fast ? Maybe u think its only u in this vehicle? Her reaction yes i drive fast and so what ? than  fingerpointing and shouting to me...

So they drive like selfish pricks  risking our lives and if we confront them with it they become angry with us cause we make them loose face!

2 hours ago, jouec said:

Here we go the but, but, but crew have arrived

Yeh that but but guy won't say a word against the locals, he pops up a lot on here along with Suradit69 and one or two others. Even when it's plainly obvious that the Thais are in the wrong he still supports them and abuses his fellow farang. His name is very appropriate.

Unfortunately this is what happens when we find ourselves  travelling under the control of Thai man who’s got the maturity of a 5 years old boy, they simply backfire at you..Is there anything we can do to make these people be more responsible and considerate towards non Thai people ? I doubt there is..

These minvivans, buses and all public danger so called drivers out there are just an accident waiting to happen at any given time. The most scary part is that you may find the whole country after you just because you’ve tried to teach them some manners ?

55 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

130 kmh is around 80 mph, not that fast, but taking the average driving environment in this blessed country, the fear and subsequent adrenaline rush can make it feel somewhat faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Only about 45% past the limit.

Archived