VIDEO: Speeding Thai minivan driver rages at foreign tourist who told him to slow down

rooster59

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Losing face is not just a Thai thing... it goes on everywhere - - and I wonder what you think foreigners think of "them." - - and when you are in your home country do you spend any time worrying about what foreigners think of you? 

I wonder if foreigners know what most Thais think of them.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Losing face is not just a Thai thing... it goes on everywhere - - and I wonder what you think foreigners think of "them." - - and when you are in your home country do you spend any time worrying about what foreigners think of you? 

Nonsense.

A severe case of Stockholm Syndrome.

Thai's didn't get the deadliest roads in the world award by sitting around eating somtam.

And it will not be changed by deflection,denial,projection,displacement,graaping and waing either.

2 minutes ago, lapd said:

Or even what their friends think of them?

I lived in a country village for more than 15 years... people were generally pretty nice - and they did not really walk around saying bad things about foreigners or anyone... and from what I saw, they were kind and accepting of strangers... I guess it is probably different in the major tourist areas, but they don't seem like normal places... you wouldn't judge life in Malibu or San Jose by what goes on inside Disney World... 

10 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

It's an integral part of their culture/traditions, it definitely isn't part of mine. The thai translation is hak naa, to break the face.

It can turn a normal person into a rabid creature in seconds

11 minutes ago, lapd said:

Yep, it's about the only useful thing about being fluent in Thai. Sit quietly and listen to hatred pouring out of them

They often say a Thai changes when they get into a vehicle/moto.

That is WRONG, they change when they get out. The true Thai is the one behind the wheel .

2 hours ago, MekkOne said:

Arrest the tourist, and press charge to Sanook for reporting the news!

It would be funny if it were not the truth.

The stock bureaucratic face saving response fails to grasp that their psychotic knee jerk prosecutions are the most damaging of all to Thailand's image. 

•  
  •  

Just weird you seem to be confused and sad. Wake up and smell the coffee

And Colineil replied;

"Dont get upset mate, he just does it to wind people up.

Weird behaviour".

I agree.

I have come to the conclusion, having read dozens of Just Weird's posts, that he cannot bear to hear any criticism whatsoever of his beloved Thailand, no matter how justified.  He springs to Thailand's defence every single time any adverse comments  are posted.  Surely Thais and tourists are entitled to expect the driver of any form of public transport to act responsibly, drive safely, within the speed limits, and to deliver his/her passengers to their destination alive and in one piece?  Despite all the statistics proving how unsafe Thai roads are, being number one in road deaths, many of which are caused by totally irresponsible behaviour of the driver,  often involving drink, or drugs, or speeding, or unsafe vehicle, or lack of skill, yet, here we have Just Weird, as usual, defending this latest example of totally unacceptable behaviour by the driver of a minivan.  The passengers were perfectly entitled to express fear for their lives in the strongest possible terms. 

In my opinion, all the passengers should have taken the opportunity to get off the vehicle, while phoning the owner company and the police to explain why they did it.  Massive loss of face for the driver and the company, but presumably with another opportunity for TAT to jump in with their normal incorrect assertion that the incident will not affect tourism.

I will watch for future comments by Just Weird to see if he continues to live up to his name.

25 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I assume he would worry about what foreigners think of him if he were relying heavily on them for his livelihood in the tourist industry, as many Thais do.

Good on him for speaking up about this reckless driving. 

I'm sure many travellers have had this near-death experience in a speeding mini van and many people have not lived to tell about it.

If more people would speak up and record the ranting driver maybe something will be done about it.

22 minutes ago, ostyan said:

Not exactly: Many of the Thai passengers also complained the driver was rude, 

Not in front of him, and it's always like this.

I hate Thai for being cowards, whoever they are and in any situation.

3 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

130 kmh is around 80 mph, not that fast, but taking the average driving environment in this blessed country, the fear and subsequent adrenaline rush can make it feel somewhat faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

40kph over the speed limit, in a badly maintained minivan, full of passengers and a driver who has never taken a driving lesson in his life, just passed a test that a 5 year old could pass.

thai people do not worry because they do not know any better!

Simple.  

Never, ever go in one of these things!

Its not hard.

Everybody has seen how crazy they are! 

Take the bus.  You have a better chance, but of course, they are crap drivers also.

Better to hire a car or a motorbike.

Better still, just dont come here.

I am fast running out of reasons to stay here.

gets worse and worse each day

3 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

130 kmh is around 80 mph, not that fast, but taking the average driving environment in this blessed country, the fear and subsequent adrenaline rush can make it feel somewhat faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes.  It is only 117.33 feet per second.  

Not fast at all.

21 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

thai people do not worry because they do not know any better!

Simple.  

Never, ever go in one of these things!

Its not hard.

Everybody has seen how crazy they are! 

Take the bus.  You have a better chance, but of course, they are crap drivers also.

Better to hire a car or a motorbike.

Better still, just dont come here.

I am fast running out of reasons to stay here.

gets worse and worse each day

No bus is much safer imho.  Not only limited to slower speeds by sheer size but sheer size can also make it safer.  I avoid minivans at all opportunities.  

Archived