VIDEO: Speeding Thai minivan driver rages at foreign tourist who told him to slow down

rooster59

Funny thing i was in Mini Van 2 weeks ago signs on road said 60 drive doing 120.

Speed camera's in use still 120 cars still passing by like standing still 

Police pulling Trucks over still 120 

Police driving past us were doing 120 what they doing.

Traffic accident ahead what speed 120 

Emergency lane cars doing 120 or more overtaking 

Speed limit signs take no notice just do 120 

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At first....there are out in the world 2 images of Thailand : great landscape and islands, great food and also great people

But the other image is corruption, dirty beaches, dangerous for travelling on the roads and by boat,

stupid behavior and aggressive peoole if you confront them with their bad habit....

So Thai people have to stop with this stupid "loose face" and stand up against bad and dangerous behaviour. Have civil courage what we get tought from childhood but that's mostly missing in Thai society

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Typical Thais. They agreed with the driver. 

Typical mr.mistrable with your comment.

read again, take a deep breath and relax.

nowhere are they saying they agreed with the driver.

Sometime I wonder why some people spend so many hours everyday on this forum, can’t they afford to enjoy their life, so they kick their time here spreading there pessimistic attitude.

5 minutes ago, manhood said:

At first....there are out in the world 2 images of Thailand : great landscape and islands, great food and also great people

But the other image is corruption, dirty beaches, dangerous for travelling on the roads and by boat,

stupid behavior and aggressive peoole if you confront them with their bad habit....

So Thai people have to stop with this stupid "loose face" and stand up against bad and dangerous behaviour. Have civil courage what we get tought from childhood but that's mostly missing in Thai society

That loose face attitude have arrived to the West.

people cannot accept they are wrong.

Lose face is a part of Asia, not only Thailand. One day off you can afford travel, you will soon realize that.

5 minutes ago, 1dayumay said:

Sometime I wonder why some people spend so many hours everyday on this forum, can’t they afford to enjoy their life, so they kick their time here spreading there pessimistic attitude.

Having a bad day dear? everybody is entitled to their opinion, even you.

I enjoy my life, spend a lot of time on here, at this very moment i am lying on my bed, reading the nonsense you have just posted.

6 minutes ago, wvavin said:

The others agreed to it is because their level of stupidity is on par with this driver.

Most people that are taking vans are those without a brain and want to arrive fast.

i know many Thais that won’t enter a van because they simply are dangerous drivers behind the wheel

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Having a bad day dear? everybody is entitled to their opinion, even you.

I enjoy my life, spend a lot of time on here, at this very moment i am lying on my bed, reading the nonsense you have just posted.

That’s your life, thaivisa forum.

get your ass out and do something productive.

cheap Charlie lifestyle..

Just now, 1dayumay said:

That’s your life, thaivisa forum.

get your ass out and do something productive.

cheap Charlie lifestyle..

Cheap Charlie lifestyle me?

I made my above post just to show how easy people jump in and make themselves look stupid, as you have just done.

Take time and ask some other members on here, why Colinneil is on his bed at lunchtime.

As you probably wont do that i will tell you, as i am held together with titanium rods and screws, i can only sit in my wheelchair for 3/4 hours then have to be assisted back on my bed for 1/2 hours.

Please take time to explain to me how you think i can get my ass out and do something productive.

Feel stupid now for making your vile comment? If not you should be.

Yeah a lot of those guys drive too fast, overtake when they shouldn't, etc., but you can't fix that by telling one driver over and over to slow down if he doesn't want to.  You might even cause him to get angry and drive faster.

I actually agree with the driver: if you're scared, get off and catch the next van.  I might have asked him once, politely, to slow down, and if he didn't I would have asked him to drop me off somewhere to catch another van.

My first reaction is hold back. It may sound as if I have not much else to say but to continuously bash.

Far from the truth. We have decades of experience in LOS, and most are positive. I spent hundreds of thousands of Dollars in this country and surely have contributed to the economy in a positive way, however, this is my own experience with Tourist van drivers:

In Songkhla we were ( unknowingly .. ) taken to a Minibus.

The driver went in racetrack mode en route to Padang Pesar. We sat in front, he wouldn't stop his race, even after ( politely ) asking in Thai to reduce his neck-breaking speed.

Dozing off several times whilst driving we had to tell him repeatedly and politely. It didn't change his mode. Leadfoot on the gaspedal.

However we made it to Padsng Pesar but it was a horrific experience.

I asked myself what the criteria was for drivers of Minibuses, how are they being monitored. My answer: Very little, everyone can drive it, no additional checks are necessary. Papers are easily to come by by producing redbacks.

I also know everything foreigners depict is a dart in the driver's eyes. This statement will cause controversy in some people I know, but you don't know much when you spend 3 weeks a year or even 6 weeks in LOS. It requires years to get to the bottom of this.

Their pride is hurt quickly when a foreigner uses the wrong words, or uses the wrong gestures.

It could end in a rage attack and the person in hospital or worse.

Many such cases happened and were not reported in the past.

Remember: If you happen to be on a Minibus ( large overland buses drivers are better monitored ), always be very polite when you complain. Use your words wisely. And smile while you tell him to slow down. This will help you to overcome many difficult situations while visiting.

And remember: You are a guest, paying for the privilege, but nevertheless a guest. 

To understand Thai culture, which you should, if you visit or live in the country, you should actually learn the language.

It gives you real sense of what is required. 

In brief, every sentence has a phrase of respect incorporated. This is the key of Thai culture. Live by it and you shall harvest the fruits.

1 hour ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:
  •  
  •  

Just weird you seem to be confused and sad. Wake up and smell the coffee

And Colineil replied;

"Dont get upset mate, he just does it to wind people up.

Weird behaviour".

I agree.

I have come to the conclusion, having read dozens of Just Weird's posts, that he cannot bear to hear any criticism whatsoever of his beloved Thailand, no matter how justified.  He springs to Thailand's defence every single time any adverse comments  are posted. 

All he said was that the Thais didn't all agree with the driver which is correct. The article states they were unhappy with the driver. The video showed they were rather quiet but they know there's no point arguing with someone like this who won't listen. The article also says people who viewed the video online didn't agree with the driver.  I don't see anyone defending or agreeing with the actions of the driver at all. 

22 minutes ago, 1dayumay said:

Watch the video again. Driver asks a Thai passenger if he had a problem with his driving. No he didn't have a problem was the reply. Driver then turns to farang and says, "See Thai people don't have problem, why you have problem?" Nobody disagreed with the driver.

2 hours ago, Zendo said:

Are you serious ?  Who wants to go go Pattaya  ???  Avoid it like the plague !!!

Because Pattaya is the only place in Thailand that you have no other option other than ground transportation?  Are you always in the habit of giving such impractical advice such as just fly everywhere instead?

Thailand has the 3rd highest number of deaths per passenger trip in the world.  The highway accidents are absolutely horrendous and these shared mini van shuttles are the main cause.  The drivers drive like absolute maniacs tailgating at high speed on Thailand's deadly roads which lack guard rails and speed enforcement. When traveling to Thailand always hire a private vehicle and before paying insist the driver agree to drive the speed limit and let them know they will be fired and not paid otherwise.  I'm sure this is why I've never been in an accident while visiting SE Asia.

6 hours ago, Briggsy said: The only reason there was no violence. Is because. He didn't have. Other. 10 other. Taxi drivers to help him.

Being told you are doing your job poorly in front of others = Perfect example of loss of face.

Result = Anger

I am just surprised there was no violence.

The responsibility lies with government to ensure police stop the speeding with harsh fines, I think it would be exactly the same in oz if it weren't for a properly organised government and cops. I'd, just eventually ask to get of the bus if  thought it dangerous. The driver was kind of right.

24 minutes ago, RadKiter said:

Thailand has the 3rd highest number of deaths per passenger trip in the world.  The highway accidents are absolutely horrendous and these shared mini van shuttles are the main cause.  The drivers drive like absolute maniacs tailgating at high speed on Thailand's deadly roads which lack guard rails and speed enforcement. When traveling to Thailand always hire a private vehicle and before paying insist the driver agree to drive the speed limit and let them know they will be fired and not paid otherwise.  I'm sure this is why I've never been in an accident while visiting SE Asia.

If you don't want things to work out in Thailand, just make plans.  But sounds great on paper.

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Don't you get tired of hearing that,nobody gives a <deleted>,they just do what they want,

thinking nothing will ever effect Teflon Thailand,BUT one day they might be wondering

what happened !.

regards Worgeordie 

Yes, one day they will say while wringing their hands,  "Why do tourists not come here any more?" In fact, in my neck of the woods they are saying that already, contrary to TAT figures.

Horse and stable door springs to mind!

4 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

130 kmh is around 80 mph, not that fast, but taking the average driving environment in this blessed country, the fear and subsequent adrenaline rush can make it feel somewhat faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

80 on any Thai road is suicidal. 

Hey !! The only job we foreigners are allowed to do without a work permit here in Thailand is to ruin the image of Thailand.

Now this [&ù*£"@*] minivan driver is stealing our job, and that is NOT FAIR.

Mai dee, mai dee rok !

10 minutes ago, chang1 said:

80 on any Thai road is suicidal. 

You don't do a lot of driving in Thailand do you? nonsense statement, I have as many problems with people driving slowly and hogging the road, more than I do with drivers speeding! 

The bottom line is Thai's are a lot smarter than us when dealing with their fellow country folk, they know that they are most likely going to be "angry" when anyone says anything to them, thats why they are able to accept noise, pollution & whatever else is thrown at them, least they stay alive, life has little value here!

5 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I never use the mini buses now as most of the drivers have a death wish  I am happy to continue living even if there not ?

The problem is that you dont need to be in the minivan if it has a high speed collision. You might be in the vehicle that the minivan hits. The road remains dangerous for all until people take road safety seriously

Archived