VIDEO: Speeding Thai minivan driver rages at foreign tourist who told him to slow down

rooster59

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Thaijack2014 said:

Exactly.. the story said: "But that wasn’t all. Many of the Thai passengers also complained the driver was rude, bad mannered and had they had been overcharged 150 baht for the journey".

It doesn't look that they are agreeing!

If you read the article, all of those comments were made on a website after the event, not at the time. Lots of brave souls sat behind their keyboards airing their views on the internet, views that they would never give to a person's face.

Remind you of a website you might know of?

7 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

Although at the end of the video is sounded like a farang agreeing with the driver. 

Sounds to me that she began to feel intimidated by him, realised she was going to get nowhere with her request, and backed down to diffuse the situation and prevent it escalating. She was probably in the middle of nowhere and hadn't a clue where she was and no idea how she would get to her destination, if she did what the driver suggested and get out of his van.

I would have done the same as her in that situation, as would most of us presumably.

BTW. The farang, at the end of the video appears to be a different person to the one making the complaint. Woman (possibly American or Canadian) making the complaint. Guy (possibly European) answered "I'm OK" when the driver asked him "You OK?".

The worst thing about is not that a likely poorly educated, minimum wage worker acted like this. The real issue in this country is that 98% of locals would react similarly. Whether educated or not, the culture is the same.

They cannot tolerate responsibility or being told when they make mistakes. 

And, this is how you end up with a disfunctional country that can never hope to advance beyond where they are. 

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Sounds to me that she began to feel intimidated by him, realised she was going to get nowhere with her request, and backed down to diffuse the situation and prevent it escalating. She was probably in the middle of nowhere and hadn't a clue where she was and no idea how she would get to her destination, if she did what the driver suggested and get out of his van.

I would have done the same as her in that situation, as would most of us presumably.

It wasn’t the girl ( who IMO quite rightly complained ) that was agreeing with the driver at the end. Listen at the end of the video and your will hear it’s a male voice who says “yeah I’m ok “ when asked. Obviously the girl had a bigger set of gonads than male foreigner. 

2 hours ago, newnative said:

Very simple solution.  Require a governor on all mini van engines that prohibits them from going faster than a certain speed limit, maybe 100 kph.  While they're at it they could require it for motorcycles, too.

Add a "functioning" exhaust system to that list as well! ?

Just now, Tongjaw said:

It wasn’t the girl ( who IMO quite rightly complained ) that was agreeing with the driver at the end. Listen at the end of the video and your will hear it’s a male voice who says “yeah I’m ok “ when asked. Obviously the girl had a bigger set of gonads than male foreigner. 

That's American gals for ya, they shure do have some serious gonads! ?

These drivers are under tremendous pressure by their bosses to get wherever they`re going and back again in the fastest amount of time. They are placed on tight schedules. So yes, I do sympathise with the driver. I also doubt they get paid over time if they run over the scheduled times.

The responsibilities lies with the authorities to ensure driving safety standards are imposed on passenger transport companies. Meanwhile, the Thailand road carnage will continue.

3 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

The worst thing about is not that a likely poorly educated, minimum wage worker acted like this. The real issue in this country is that 98% of locals would react similarly. Whether educated or not, the culture is the same. They cannot tolerate responsibility or being told when they make mistakes. 

And, this is how you end up with an disfunctional country that can never hope to advance beyond where they are. 

So, are you trying to say that the government is doing a great job in producing and keeping "wage slaves" in there rightful place?

Forbid them advancing! then they will want all sorts of things that are forbidden to them, like a functioning government and Police force ? 

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

So, are you trying to say that the government is doing a great job in producing and keeping "wage slaves" in there rightful place?

Forbid them advancing! then they will want all sorts of things that are forbidden to them, like a functioning government and Police force ? 

Yes, but I think it's broader than government. It's class based. The elite and pseudo elite are the designers and maintainers of this system. They are in government but found everywhere else throughout Thai "society". 

Just now, DM07 said:

The Thais complained the driver was rude, they were overcharged and the video is bad for Thailands image!
Not one mentioning of the dangerous driving!
' nuff said!

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not at the time, only later on the internet.

Double 'nuff said!

8 minutes ago, DM07 said:

The Thais complained the driver was rude, they were overcharged and the video is bad for Thailands image!
Not one mentioning of the dangerous driving!
' nuff said!

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Exactly. Same as always. They care only about getting caught. Pathetic cultural trait. 

10 hours ago, rgrdns said:

Unfortunately enough yes....afraid if violence can arise!

They did not agree

The confrontation ended when another passenger intervened and the driver continued on the journey.

But that wasn’t all. Many of the Thai passengers also complained the driver was rude, bad mannered and had they had been overcharged 150 baht for the journey.

Typical TV member:: Ignorant and Thai basher

Tourists were worried, as if they'd ended up having an accident; after condoning the dri(vell)er's recalctrant actions...

then their Travel Insurance could have easily been invalidated by the assessor- for their accepting to continue on an a dangerous environment 

8 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

130 kmh is around 80 mph, not that fast, but taking the average driving environment in this blessed country, the fear and subsequent adrenaline rush can make it feel somewhat faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Way to fast with a driver with the reaction time of a sloth and brains of a rock.

A similar thing happened to me and I did get out of the van and after he took off, I felt pretty stupid standing on the side of the motorway until the commanding officer of the local police stopped and picked me up and after I told him I had to get out of the van because I was terrified I would die. 

The officer radioed ahead and had the driver arrested and contacted the company and demanded they pick me up from his office and take me to Pattaya my destination safely which they did. 

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

You have to laugh when he says "why worry?" A quick reference to the country's accident statistics might provide the answer.

Much of which are caused by idiots driving too fast.

You just don't understand, those other drivers don't have my incredible driving skills and

most importantly my lucky amulets. :tongue:

3 minutes ago, Ulic said:

You just don't understand, those other drivers don't have my incredible driving skills and

most importantly my lucky amulets. :tongue:

Good advice I only go in a van if they have those lucky amulets, they can go as fast as they want I just know everything will be ok ? 

11 hours ago, Darcula said:
11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“Thai people don't worry, why you scared?”

This should be the headline of the next edition of WHO status report on global road safety.

should also be on posters affixed to chinese tourist boats

1 hour ago, The manic said:

They did not agree

The confrontation ended when another passenger intervened and the driver continued on the journey.

But that wasn’t all. Many of the Thai passengers also complained the driver was rude, bad mannered and had they had been overcharged 150 baht for the journey.

Typical TV member:: Ignorant and Thai basher

I didn't hear that on the video. Last words were from another farang.

No one complained at the time. All complaints posted on the internet.

Typical TV member: Ignorant Thai apologist.

11 hours ago, jouec said:

For a country of people who don't like to lose face, it's almost a national past time.

I wonder if they really know what foreigners think of them?? 

I guess it depends on the foreigner? 

I wonder what Thai folks think of foreigners? Maybe it depends on the Thai folk.

Why does every thread about some <deleted> somewhere turn into Thai bashing.

Just now, Nyezhov said:

I guess it depends on the foreigner? 

I wonder what Thai folks think of foreigners? Maybe it depends on the Thai folk.

Why does every thread about some <deleted> somewhere turn into Thai bashing.

This thread was about a Thai van driver who was completely out of order. Should we blame the farang for him driving like a maniac?

A very big problem is, that these crazy drivers really believe from themselves, that they are good drivers. The difference to drive a race car with high risk or bring a minibus with its passengers safely from A to B. Many do not understand their driving task intellectually.

11 hours ago, rgrdns said:

Unfortunately enough yes....afraid if violence can arise!

A perfect example of why when things go wrong on Thai roads they go badly wrong...

drivers sees nothing wrong, what's wrong he says.. you fear death???

Thai occupants remain quiet out of up-bringing or fear of violence.. never quick to complain in these situations

The government has to step in and publicly take this LUNATIC driver off the road FOR LIFE !

Archived