Phayao: Bicycles offered instead of flowers at grandmother’s cremation

webfact

Bicycles offered instead of flowers at grandmother’s cremation

By Pannawich Yoodee 
The Nation

0fdce13bcaab33e6926b1f51d556960b.jpeg

A funeral for a 77-year-old grandmother in Phayao’s Muang district on Sunday saw the innovative idea that, instead of the conventional flowery wreaths, 17 bicycles were presented as funeral wreaths which were then passed on to poor schoolchildren and social volunteers.

2e580244d4003fe1f18c9809aced3577.jpeg

Following the service for Nantha Khuchonthara, 77, at the Pratu Lek crematorium in Tambon Wiang, her relatives and friends also presented 17 “funeral wreath” bicycles to students and qualified volunteers, as a merit-making for the deceased. 

4d9c6b114c811ee8388f5b52cd334e7e.jpeg

Natha’s son Pipat Khuchonthara, 45, said bicycles would be more useful than flowers so his relatives and friends, including those in a bicycle club “Jakkayan Peun 60”, presented the two-wheelers as funeral wreaths.

e7cf87fedc1acd91707c3a7879ebb03c.jpeg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30353551

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-03

Excellent Idea.

The flowers would be dead in a couple of days and provide no benefit to anyone. The bicycles not only would they be of benefit to the recipients, But every time they ride it it will remind them of Grandma in a positive fashion.

I have to repeat , What an excellent Idea !!!

Superb. Having recently moved to Nan I'm seeing bicycle riding here is a bit of a thing for all ages in the central city. Even the Thai wife and soon me are indulging. Makes a nice change to the car and motorbikes. Just yesterday a flat bed truck went past our place with a huge number of white floral wreaths and apart from noting someone has obviously passed away, I couldn't help but think it was a waste of resources.

Archived