Girlfriend has tried fasting but it doesn't seem to work. Any advice?

RichardThailand

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You didn't say how old she was or how tall she is but sexual activity could burn of calories better than 50 hours of fasting which is hardly enough. I would expect 50 hours of something else over a 7 day period would see some difference.?

With fasting you lose about 1kg in 3 days. I did it several times for about 3 weeks in cool climate a long time ago. Only water, nothing else.

At the beginning the weight goes down even more because the stomach is empty but in the moment you start to eat again the stomach is full again and that is obviously extra weight.

If you/she does it right she won't be hungry after about 3 days.

But make sure you know a good enough doctor who you trust and can call anytime.

I went into hospital for about 4 or 5 nights, the food was so bad I didn't eat a thing, when I came out I still weighed the same as I went in, but when I came out I didn't have a good appetite, so I ate very little, but that's when the weight started to come off. I have read it many moons ago that if you just stop eating your body doesn't lose weight, not for a while anyway.

Watch Youtube on Doctor William Davis . Try not to eat anything made from wheat. Yes, it works but it does take time though and the choice of foods is quite restricted you slowly get used to it .You body always try to keep fats in the body for survival purpose like famine, illness, accidents.... so you will have difficulty going lower than the weight the body decide for survival purposes..

You can go against nature state for the vanity but you take the risk.

To be thin is beautiful but to look like an anorexia is even more beautiful to the grim reaper.

I am not an expert in this and the following is only my opinion.

IMO though there are good things attributed to fasting, I don't think it is a good way to lose wait .

in fact i think it is detrimental.

First I think that when fasting your body realises that there is no food coming and becomes more efficient in extracting calories from whatever nutrition available.

second it is unsustainable (obviously) afterwards not only one might eat more but one might extract more calories from what one eats.

IMO if one need to lose weight one needs to develop a diet and exercise regime that fits  with in one's lifestyle that way it is sustainable.  If one engages in exercise that one does not enjoy .one will eventually abandon it But lt's say if one takes up riding a bike, and one find bike riding enjoyable, then one will look forward to doing it.

Anyway, that's some of my thoughts on the subject, and something that has worked well for me.

And a final thought. One should never go against their physiology. If one's physiology is to be slightly overweight, IMO it is healthier to be slightly overweight, than to artificially try and maintain a weight that is not natural for them.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

With fasting you lose about 1kg in 3 days. I did it several times for about 3 weeks in cool climate a long time ago. Only water, nothing else.

At the beginning the weight goes down even more because the stomach is empty but in the moment you start to eat again the stomach is full again and that is obviously extra weight.

Men may, not women. More like 1 kg in 4 days - maybe even 5-6 if these days are consecutive, because the metabolism slows down.

Intermittent fasting, 1 day on, 2 days off, works better as it helps avoid the metabolic slowing effect (eat normally on the other days).

But at 50 kg does she really need to lose weight?

I am not sure if there are a couple of definitions of fasting but 1 day on and 2 days off or something like that sounds for me not like fasting.

Here is what I did many years ago. I did this with a friend together who was a medical doctor. Maybe I don't remember all the details 100% correct but here is an overview:

Day 1, 2: Eat little light food

Day 3: Stop eating, drink a few liters or natural apple juice or something like that to get everything out of the stomach

Day 4 and later: Eat absolutely nothing. Drink water or water with a slice of lemon. Nothing else!

As far as I remember about day 3 or 4 there is no huger anymore (which is obviously good). But just smelling good food is a reminder how good it tastes. But no, no food at all.

This can be done for weeks. I did it for about 3 weeks I think once a year for 3 years. It's possible to do it for 6 weeks.

I lost about 2 or 3kg in the first days but that is mostly the weight of the "food" in the body. It comes back again when one starts to eat again.

I really lost about 1kg per 3 days.

I worked at that time in an office job and I felt more or less normal.

It was good and important to me that I could call my friend the doctor if I wanted to. It must be difficult (and I don't recommend it) without medical backup.

At the end of the weeks of fasting I started eating again with 1/2 apple in one day and maybe a full apple the next day and then it was soon back to normal.

At that time I didn't gain fast weight again so it seems the fasting worked and had no negative consequences. I was at that time about 25 years old.

I am not sure if I would do this in tropical climate, probably not.

In terms of losing weight long term I guess only a healthy diet and some exercise will do it for long term success.

Good luck!

Tell your girlfriend (I assume she's Thai )  she needs to move her body . There is no point in fasting if she just sit on a chair all day . 

To burn calories a good start is to walk 4-5 km's daily and if possible go to a gym and work out. I walk 5 to 10k daily and can eat normal food without gaining weight.  

So a combination of less intake of food and more activity during the day will help her lose weight. But she needs to change her old habits , I know most Thais are lazy when it comes to just walking 300 meters , they would take the bike instead. 

46 minutes ago, balo said:

Tell your girlfriend (I assume she's Thai )  she needs to move her body . There is no point in fasting if she just sit on a chair all day . 

To burn calories a good start is to walk 4-5 km's daily and if possible go to a gym and work out. I walk 5 to 10k daily and can eat normal food without gaining weight.  

So a combination of less intake of food and more activity during the day will help her lose weight. But she needs to change her old habits , I know most Thais are lazy when it comes to just walking 300 meters , they would take the bike instead. 

Thai lady, walking 4-5 clicks /day ? Dream on.

On 9/3/2018 at 8:20 PM, baansgr said:

Walking,  walking,  walking.... Beats fasting anytime. For weight loss,  last meal 6pm, then nothing till 10am. Cut down on carbs,  rice,  bread etc.

Run around the rice fields all day like a Thai Forrest Gump. Eat mostly veggies and som tam afterwards, with small portions of sticky rice. Repeat.

On 9/3/2018 at 6:46 PM, RichardThailand said:

She's tried fasting for up to 50 hours but the end result is her weight at the end of the fast is the same as at the start. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Go to the local beauty salon and ask them for a slimming injection, around 1,000bht and they lose 1-2Kg almost instantly.

(I think it's amphetamine of some variant that bumps up their metabolism for a few days)

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Go to the local beauty salon and ask them for a slimming injection, around 1,000bht and they lose 1-2Kg almost instantly.

(I think it's amphetamine of some variant that bumps up their metabolism for a few days)

And you seriously recommend some crazy crap like that?

Maybe you should read the news from time to time with people dying because of these wonder pills of injections.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And you seriously recommend some crazy crap like that?

Maybe you should read the news from time to time with people dying because of these wonder pills of injections.

I had a gf that did it every couple of months, made a big difference to her weight in a couple of days.

Lots of Thai ladies do it.

Do NOT EVER take any weight loss pills and injections in Thailand. Many of them work by using dangerous substances to dehydrate your body, which is extremely unhealthy and dangerous. They do not burn fat, but rather water. I know one Thai woman who took weight loss pills for a few days, and ended up with an extremely dry throat and dizzy head. She promptly quit afterwards and refused to take anymore.

Thailand now has a big running boom going on, so join the fun if you want to get in shape. Exercise is a far more efficient and healthier way to lose weight in a good way. Som tam diets are also a good way to lose weight.

I dunno.  The conclusions from the few studies I read show that there wasn't much difference in the weight loss results from those who did intermittent fasting versus those on calorie restriction.

Then of course like any other diet, there's the dropout rate to contend with.

3 hours ago, Taggart said:

I dunno.  The conclusions from the few studies I read show that there wasn't much difference in the weight loss results from those who did intermittent fasting versus those on calorie restriction.

Then of course like any other diet, there's the dropout rate to contend with.

The big difference between fasting and calorie restriction is that almost all scientific studies of fasting show no decrease in metabolism rate. Many of the studies report a boost of 13-20% in metabolism.  Calorie restriction will force your body to lower metabolism meaning smaller amounts of food have to get even smaller to continue your weight loss and the body set point will force the weight back on you even at normal portions so you can never return to normal eating.

There is a good youtube video from HBO with research sponsored by the National Science Foundation and the National Institute of Health called, "The biology of weight loss."  It documents the failure and science behind calorie restriction techniques.   It also makes a good commentary on why alternatives to calorie restriction diets all work better than calorie restriction.  

Fasting is definitely worth examining.  I have not read anything about body set point and fasting.  Has anyone seen some research?  

Hi Don,

I think it's a misconception that people have that you have to eat less  and go hungry in order to lose weight.  In fact, it can be the opposite.  People can eat more than they are used to, until they are satisfied, and still lose excess weight.  It's all about calorie density.  

I'm not saying calorie density works for everyone, nothing does, but I've seen the weight loss stories and it's not exactly new.  It's been around for a few decades now.  With the internet we now get to actually see more of the results, whereas before it was just something you read about in a book.

Animal foods may be included in the diet, but they may be limited if included at all, so already you have something like well over 90% of the population in western countries that won't touch it.

Coffee. Lemon Water/Juice. Oatmeal. Walk. Snack. Walk. Water. Walk. Fruit. Walk. SomTam. Water. walk. Gai/Moo. Walk. Water. Fruit. Water. Walk. Fruit. Walk. Sex. Water. Sleep. Repeat.

No white bread, no cheese, no soda, no ice cream, no pizza, no processed food, no beer, no booze. 2 weeks, go nuts two days (but keep walking), start again. Ill give you a report.....

We folks who come from the USA are fat because we drive everywhere. Everywhere. Nobody walks more than 200 yards a day. Pound down a Double McWhammy with Cheese and Guacamole with some "chips" and a Choco Shake while sitting in traffic just lays it on you and I f***K** know because thats what I did for the last 8 months and you could paint Goodyear across my belly and hang me over the superbowl. I got more rolls than a Jewish Deli. Its like Im packing a bowling ball. Uggggg. 

On 9/3/2018 at 7:29 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

And certainly do not take the advice of any TV doctor.....geez....??

1 minute ago, chicowoodduck said:
On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:29 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

And certainly do not take the advice of any TV doctor.....geez....??

I described my personal experience with fasting. And look at the last sentence of my post.

Personally I like reading personal experience descriptions, best case from a couple of unrelated people.

It's often better than expert advice from people who know it technically but never did it personally.

Archived