Girlfriend has tried fasting but it doesn't seem to work. Any advice?

RichardThailand

On 9/3/2018 at 2:51 PM, Sheryl said:

Men may, not women. More like 1 kg in 4 days - maybe even 5-6 if these days are consecutive, because the metabolism slows down.

Intermittent fasting, 1 day on, 2 days off, works better as it helps avoid the metabolic slowing effect (eat normally on the other days).

But at 50 kg does she really need to lose weight?

You ask does she really need to lose weight from 50kg.

I would say,yes, depending on her height,otherwise she may blossom into a farang female.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hobz said:

Everybody that I know that is overweight is addicted to sugar. 

Telling them to count calories and eat less doesn't work unless they have insane discipline or motivation 

actually tackling the sugar addiction issue.

you can try tackle sugar addiction

And the problem is almost Always sugar addiction.

Now you will quote some research saying that sugar addiction is not real. Go ahead. Won't change my mind.

Maybe you are the one with the mental issue of sugar addiction.

I know you have great faith in that myth.  But for the benefit of the other posters:

High sugar foods do cause a release in dopamine (the feel good neurotransmitter), BUT so does listening to music, having sex, exercise, eating any food that tastes good, petting you cat, and a foot massage.  

From a biological view, the amount of dopamine released from high sugar food is nowhere near the same released from addictive drugs like heroin and cocaine!!!!!  Sugar does not destroy brain cells, as heroin and cocaine do....nor does sugar cause an intensive painful and physical withdrawal like these addictive drugs.  

From a psychological view, humans crave the things we are forbidden to have.  So if you think you are addicted to sugar, you will think sugar is bad.  You will see sugary snacks and food.. tell yourself you can't have them... and then..... you want them, crave them, and then eat them.  Then it feels like you are actually addicted to sugar.

And, please don't say it's a conspiracy theory... from the multi million dollar sugar giants lol.  

Again... like many other posters have said, just consume less calories each day than your body needs... you will loose weight!!!  

32 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

But sugar comes under ' carbs ' and we all know that chocolate bars, cakes, ice creams, buns, fizzy drinks, all loaded with sugar are bad for us or at least we should. There is enough out there.

Chocolate bars, cakes and ice cream makes me happy. It's good, not bad.

I saw too many people who look at above items with this look "I would love to eat it but someone told me it's bad for me"

Many people like that are just miserable because of all the things they would like to do but don't do for whatever reason.

I don't know if these miserable people live longer, maybe.

Personally I prefer I die happy with age X instead of miserable with age X plus 5 years (or whatever extra there is)

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, balo said:

Tell your girlfriend (I assume she's Thai )  she needs to move her body . There is no point in fasting if she just sit on a chair all day . 

To burn calories a good start is to walk 4-5 km's daily and if possible go to a gym and work out. I walk 5 to 10k daily and can eat normal food without gaining weight.  

So a combination of less intake of food and more activity during the day will help her lose weight. But she needs to change her old habits , I know most Thais are lazy when it comes to just walking 300 meters , they would take the bike instead. 

What's your assumption of her nationality got to do with it?

On 9/3/2018 at 8:20 PM, baansgr said:

Walking,  walking,  walking.... Beats fasting anytime. For weight loss,  last meal 6pm, then nothing till 10am. Cut down on carbs,  rice,  bread etc.

Walking is great because it benefits your body in so many ways! Want more easy exercise ideas? We've got tons of quick workouts! → http://bit.ly/2Q8nYII

No automatic alt text available.

the forum is full of fake experts with opinions that probably never skipped a meal in their life but they know it is bad... lol ...   do one hour intensive exercise in the gym and maybe you burn 300-500 calories, or you skip breakfast everyday and you have same gains or losses...  if you are over 40 years old, you should only eat 2 meals a day anyway.... all the bullcrap about having to snack is nothing more than an invention of the .... snack industry... your grandparents never snacked on fake foods... you see the results in the streets everywhere... I did not see many fatties 10+ years ago but now it start to be more & more

50 kg... you GF or wife is light enough, but if she wants to try, why not...

post a pick of her

Fasting is one of nature most powerful way for the body to repair itself. The purpose of it should not be primarily to lose weight. There is a lot of medical/scientific research to show the benefits of fasting. Anyone who thinks of doing it should do their research first.

I water fast one day a week. then 3 days fast every month, then try a 10 days fast every year. Just water. My wife cant do it and I do not encourage anyone to do it unless they understand the reasons why they are doing it and do their research first.

Losing weight is not a temporary fix or a diet fad... Its a lifestyle change for life. Initially, it's quite hard but then it becomes the new normal.

Healthier is a simple recipe: get enough rest, cut out unnecessary negative stress, exercise, dont eat junk, cut out as much meat if you can (go vegan), eat whole foods, no recreational drugs/smoking, alcohol in  moderation, work at developing a positive outlook,  volunteer and do good etc... If you try these things your physical and mental well being will greatly improve. As a bonus, you'll probably shed those unwanted pounds and your body will balance itself.

I do eat some meat from time to time but small portion. Forks over knife video on Netflix for those who seek to eat healthier.

2 hours ago, dickjones2018 said:

the forum is full of fake experts with opinions that probably never skipped a meal in their life but they know it is bad... lol ...   do one hour intensive exercise in the gym and maybe you burn 300-500 calories, or you skip breakfast everyday and you have same gains or losses...  if you are over 40 years old, you should only eat 2 meals a day anyway.... all the bullcrap about having to snack is nothing more than an invention of the .... snack industry... your grandparents never snacked on fake foods... you see the results in the streets everywhere... I did not see many fatties 10+ years ago but now it start to be more & more

post a pick of her

Ignore the last sentence above ... never post a pic of a loved one on Thai Visa ... it will not end well ... especially if she's a salad dodger!

Fasting will do nothing for her if she does not change her eating habits.  Basic math, eat less calories than you burn and consume nutrient dense foods. Vegetables, rice berry or wild rice, and lean protien,  fish some chicken etc...  it’s a lifestyle change she will have to embrace if she is serious about losing weight.  Also exercise of course but just going for an hour long walk will be enough to help.

Well, I do at least know that fasting can lead to longevity in ........ mice.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/09/06/fasting-may-more-important-than-what-youre-eating-study-suggests/1206269002/

"What seems to be the fasting sweet spot? Experts say somewhere around 12 hours a day for at least five days straight can to be beneficial."

I do the above 12 hours every day between dinner and breakfast, so I must be doing something right.

Buy ketosis sticks. Fast as long as you can with water only. After 2 or three days the ketosis sticks will register ketones in your body. This means sugar sources have been used up and body is metabolising fat. Ie you are losing fat.

When you can't stand not eating any longer, eat only zero carb foods like eggs, cream, olives. Then slowly add meats and vegetables. All along checking your urine with ketosis sticks. You need to limit food still so your body keeps burning fat.

You will feel very bad for the few days, then not so good for a few weeks, but then your body will become accustomed to fat . Stay away from carb foods like bread rice fruit. Anything sweet.

After two months you will forget about them and lose the addiction. 

For this you need discipline. It starts off hard. Push through the discomfort . It gets easier. Aim to eat Atkins style. 

Incorporate exercise.

And if you must some drugs to help.

In Thailand tramadol is sold at pharmacies and can act as anti appetite. Use it for a short time only. It is very addictive. As I said, you need discipline. Once past three weeks stop the tramadol and never take it again.

A short fast of 3 days achieves nothing but unnecessary discomfort.

The body needs to be in fat burning mode for longer.

Good luck.

BEST way to loose weight is WATER

Most weight issues are related to water retention....since your body mostly consist of WATER..when you not drink enough then body retains,,,

1. Take magnesium supplement, preferably magnesium/iron/zinc in one...

2. Stay away from sugar, Thai staple...

3. Fruits and Veggies for Fiber....Oats..Oats and more Oats for fiber, Steele/Rolled.........MACKRO

4. Moderate exercise...only 15 minutes a day scientific.   walk/swimming excellent

Water .....Friendly Reminder.jpg

15 hours ago, hobz said:

Try keto for two months or so. It's literally like cheating... U can eat how much u want just as long as you keep net carbs below 20grams per day. 

Then after she starts craving carbs again you can switch to a more maintainable less hard core diet.

I seen this diet work on a 79 year old woman, was amazing 

4 hours ago, yrag said:

Most weight issues are related to water retention....since your body mostly consist of WATER..when you not drink enough then body retains,,,

3. Fruits and Veggies for Fiber....Oats..Oats and more Oats for fiber, Steele/Rolled.........MACKRO

4. Moderate exercise...only 15 minutes a day scientific.   walk/swimming excellent

Oats break down into sugars in the blood stream.

Stay away from sugar and eat oats is contradiction. 

Let the pigs eat the oats.

Try konjac noodles for low carb with fibre.

4 hours ago, yrag said:

Oats break down into sugars in the blood stream.

Stay away from sugar and eat oats is contradiction. 

Let the pigs eat the oats.

19 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Vigorously exercising may make you fit, but not healthy, because it's anaerobic - which means (without oxygen) that your body is shunting blood sugar from your internal organs to feed the muscles, and thus kidneys and liver will lose oxygen and that's dangerous to health. And you won't burn off the 'stored fat'. 

Aerobic exercise (with oxygen) like walking is far more beneficial to HEALTH, and after an initial warm-up period of around 15 minutes to allow the the fatty acids to be distributed evenly so your body uses up fats - AND when exercising, your heart rate - 180 minus your age as a rough guide -- is at a level where you can still talk without gasping, that's ideal as your body WILL use up fats, not sugar and your oxygen supply won't be diminished.  Once the body is trained into this regime - the warm up is critical - fats will be burned off.

And as a footnote, when I walk around the park early morning at a pace that ups my heart rate, but doesn't hinder me talking to my friend, I see many lady Thais doing exactly the same. So it's a fallacy to believe no Thai ladies would walk anywhere.

I wasn't very explicit. It's vigorous but I can still talk without gasping. I assume, though I am an old dude, I am in better shape so I can do more rigorous exercise without gasping. You sound like you feel what you do is best. Maybe it is for you but others prefer to up their conditioning. You really didn't ask me before judging. Yes, you need to exercise longer than 15 minutes to get benefits. You also didn't mention that doing the same routine results in diminished results as your body gets used to it. Better to mix things up.

How could anyone say no Thai ladies walk anymore. There is always somebody. haha  A hair cutter in CM told me she had seen me walk by the shop several times and asked me why farangs walk so much. She said she avoided walking as much as possible. And it showed.

When True gym was still alive there where many Thai clients. Many girls/women were learning Muay Thai. My current gym in BKK is basicaly all Thai. The Thai women there tend to work with the trainers. My opinion, for what its worth, is that the middle class is hipper to the health benefits and the body benefits.

Cheers

16 hours ago, dickjones2018 said:

post a pick of her

I think your definition of "snacking" is misleading!

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

Try eating fruit for fiber! It maybe more cost effective? But, whatever it is you are eating, for fiber, soluble fiber is probably better than insoluble fiber. Both have their uses though. 

9 hours ago, Taggart said:

Well, I do at least know that fasting can lead to longevity in ........ mice.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/09/06/fasting-may-more-important-than-what-youre-eating-study-suggests/1206269002/

"What seems to be the fasting sweet spot? Experts say somewhere around 12 hours a day for at least five days straight can to be beneficial."

I do the above 12 hours every day between dinner and breakfast, so I must be doing something right.

We are not mice.

We are a different species.

Our bodies, digestions and physiology work differently to mice, horses, lions or any other animal.

So you fast every day...….. are you older than anyone else on here?

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

Try eating fruit for fiber! It maybe more cost effective? But, whatever it is you are eating, for fiber, soluble fiber is probably better than insoluble fiber. Both have their uses though. 

Fruit has lots of sugar and is forbidden by Atkins and by the Bible. If you are trying low carb avoid it like you would sugar. Perhaps limes and strawberries added into Atkins is ok for the vitamins and low sugar content.

40 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

People who are totally healthy must wonder when they are dying what they are dying from? ?

Yes I envy the ones that don't suffer affects from overloading with carbohydrates. The skinny guy that eats what he wants and laughs all day with energy. Wish I was that type.

Yes I envy the ones that don't suffer affects from overloading with carbohydrates. The skinny guy that eats what he wants and laughs all day with energy. Wish I was that type.

You can become that guy , but first you need to fast for 2 weeks. Drink only water.

Intermittent Fasting was easy for me and provided excellent results.  There is a wealth of information out there about this type of fasting.  I'm 68 years, in relatively good health and carry some extra pounds but not obese.  Four months ago I began intermittent fasting to address a decrease in insulin sensitivity and a desire to detox my body.  I adopted a ketogenic diet and slowly began delaying my first meal of the day.  Within two weeks I was eating dinner at 6pm and eating my first meal of the day at 1pm.  So I had at 19 hour period where I did not eat and a 5 hour window where I could consume all my daily caloric needs.  After a meal your body needs about six hours to extract all the nutrients from that meal.  Three to four hours after that your blood insulin should drop to baseline.  At this point you are in a fast.  Your body will utilize the glycogen stores in your muscles and liver for caloric needs (average person stores 2000 calories in muscle and liver = average daily caloric requirement for most of us).  After all glycogen stores are depleted your body starts to metabolize body fat - ketosis.  I dropped 17.5 Kgm in month, and I was just trying to detox.  This type of fasting allows one a lot of latitude and forgiveness when cheating.  Added benefits include release of HGH (human growth hormone), reduction of inflammation, etc.  Keep in mind that you can tailor this type of fasting to your lifestyle - do it six days a week. three days a week, whatever.

This has probably been mentioned here but the best diet advice is to eat as much unprocessed food as you can whilst avoiding all the processed stuff. So....lots of fruit and vegetables and meat and fish. Then exercise a little. No alcohol or fatty processed foods. 

What is the reason or goal that she want to fasten?

In general you not lose weight or not lose so much in a short time.

Also because most compensate the hunger feeling with water. And make weight lok the same.

When you have the intake of no new calaries and fat, when you still ove you use calories and make you lose weight.

Personally i mot a fan of fasting better she graulate reduces calorie intake with for example 10 percent and she will lose weight. On average 3 kilo per 4 weeks is the max for a long time. Better try to do 2 to 3.

This will resute not only in weight lose also change the lofe style needed to maintain. Like 3 time oer say eating. Stip the thau way of snacking. Change the ingredients of the kitchen less sugar, less salt and less fat. Walk more, bike more, sel the motor bike and reduce the use of the car.

On the long term she can held the weight and have adjusted the right life style

23 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Are you running the race card?

Perhaps you have discovered that stoking the flames burns energy?

Thanks for your productive input.

"Are you running the race card?"

No, but it seems that the poster that I addressed my comment to may have been assuming that "Thai" is a race which is what you wrongly assumed.

"Thanks for your productive input."

Sorry to point this out to you also but it is not your position to decide whose comments are "productive" (whatever that is supposed to mean), or otherwise, so you may as well save yourself the effort of critiquing so uselessly.

Archived