Girlfriend has tried fasting but it doesn't seem to work. Any advice?

RichardThailand

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, balo said:

You can become that guy , but first you need to fast for 2 weeks. Drink only water.

I've fasted many times. The longest 19 days, strict fasting, but it's certain that breads, rice, sugar will never agree with my body again. I treat them as not even something that should go in my mouth. They are evil enticing things for me.

Weight is often linked more to lifestyle rather than just diet and exercise.

Timing matters a lot. Don't eat at least 2-3 hours before bedtime. Large breakfasts and lunches and small dinners are the way to go.

Sleep is important, since it raises the amount of calories you burn during the daytime by making you more well-rested, active, and alert when you're not sleeping. Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep per day.

10 hours ago, RamenRaven said:

Large breakfasts and lunches and small dinners are the way to go.

Breakfast like a King.

Lunch like a Prince.

Dinner like a Pauper. :thumbsup:

I must admit I do not quite follow that - more like:

Breakfast like a Prince

Lunch Like a Pauper

Dinner (big on protein and very light on carbs) like a King.

On 9/8/2018 at 2:21 PM, jak2002003 said:

Maybe you are the one with the mental issue of sugar addiction.

I know you have great faith in that myth.  But for the benefit of the other posters:

High sugar foods do cause a release in dopamine (the feel good neurotransmitter), BUT so does listening to music, having sex, exercise, eating any food that tastes good, petting you cat, and a foot massage.  

From a biological view, the amount of dopamine released from high sugar food is nowhere near the same released from addictive drugs like heroin and cocaine!!!!!  Sugar does not destroy brain cells, as heroin and cocaine do....nor does sugar cause an intensive painful and physical withdrawal like these addictive drugs.  

From a psychological view, humans crave the things we are forbidden to have.  So if you think you are addicted to sugar, you will think sugar is bad.  You will see sugary snacks and food.. tell yourself you can't have them... and then..... you want them, crave them, and then eat them.  Then it feels like you are actually addicted to sugar.

And, please don't say it's a conspiracy theory... from the multi million dollar sugar giants lol.  

Again... like many other posters have said, just consume less calories each day than your body needs... you will loose weight!!!  

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320464.php

"Rapid swings in blood sugar levels caused by eating too much sugar or too little sugar can sometimes cause headaches" 

Mental addiction is not a myth.. but I understand what you are saying.. but I think you are wrong.. it's not from I heard it's real and therefore I got it.. it comes from those swings you get when you drink a sugary drinks for example. For a while you feel a boost in dopamine from the sugar.. and also increased energy.. then comes a crash.. and you crave more... Nothing mythical about it... Just basic brain chemistry... Brain starts associating sweets with a dopamine boost.. this is mental addiction.. but it's not a myth. 

But mental addiction comes with physical symptoms. The symptoms are real.. sweating. Headache. Dizziness. All mental. But all real. 

Mental addiction can be way way harder to stop than physical.

You think mental means not real or ?? Or you think mental addiction is easy to overcome?? I don't understand how you thinking..  hehe I'm sure you mean well but...

PS. I'm on your page that calories is the key ... But my road there is different.. what I'm saying is that the easiest way to reduce calories is by cutting out sugar... But we both want the same thing to lose weight. And that is to reduce calories... Keto doesn't work unless it reduces your calories.. and it does because it's hard to eat too many calories from fat and protein.

Edit: another link.. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15987666/

So if sugar triggers a dopamine release that's clearly addictive.. and it's not because it's "forbidden" .. or even if it is.. the easiest way to overcome it and losing weight is to go cold turkey IMHO.. but a gradual decrease could also work but seems way harder... At least it never worked for me... 

My final word on this matter is that if someone has a hard time cutting calories they should at least experiment with cutting out sugar completely.  Probably even do that as the first attempt.

Agree. Anyone who lives on  carb/sugar based nutrition and tries to change will tell you that the withdrawal symptoms and cravings are very real. Sugar is addictive; but more importantly it is bad for your health.

I disagree that keto works because its hard too eat too many calories from fat and protein; it works because you don't have the carb/sugar induced eating cravings you used to have;  and so consume less than you used to.  Plus, in the absence of carbs, your body is burning your fat stores for fuel.

The whole calorie in/out story is a just wrong; Doctor Fung explains it well:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/obesity-solving-two-compartment-problem

On 9/7/2018 at 10:04 PM, Kurtf said:

Fasting isn’t A healthy way to lose weight. Especially if a person reverts back to eating huge amount of carbohydrates like rice when ending the fast.

Read up about a ketogenic diet and see if you can convince her to stay on that kind of diet. She WILL lose weight guaranteed. But it isn’t easy. And be healthier all around.

All the research on fasting from medical professionals shows that fasting is healthy.  The forum has many references to Fung, Varrady, Mosley which all explain fasting techniques very well.  They also all conduct research showing the method to be safe and effective and healthy.

Medical professionals and the general public were dissuaded from fasting by the cereal processing companies and industry groups representing foods.  

45 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

Medical professionals and the general public were dissuaded from fasting by the cereal processing companies and industry groups representing foods. 

Really? Your proven evidence is?? Sounds like BS to me.

Well, the following may seem utterly bizarre.

A natural bodybuilding champ blogged about diet accounting for 80% of his success. and he was selling videos and working as a PT, a personal trainer in the U.S. And bodybuilders want less fat in their body. It gets crazy when they cannot walk barefoot as the fat cushion on the sole of their feet are gone and walking hurts like blazes.

• Going hungry? Please don't!
  • For me, it boils down to buying good food. No sugary drinks, cocoa milk or sugar laced milk (with the green caps).
  • Mind your gut bacteria. I like

1. Psyllium Husk in the form of a pudding with cold milk and fruit

2. raw peanuts. TESCO has them, 500 gr @ 44 THB. They contain about 30% protein and 30% fat. => They fill you up and if you eat enough, lead to regulkarity (frequent bowel movements).

have her eat a boiled egg as a snack. It fills her up quickly and the effect should last for hours.

3. Mind dinner. Sugar gets turned into fat... CASEIN as a shake with ice and some fruit might taste good, too

Fasting & binge eating? No, thank you!

And regarding exercis, have her try resistance training. Stimulating muscles, not doing the usual endless "cardio" one sees girls do.

Rant over

Another thing she might try? Colon irrigation. It has a positive effect, JMHO. Never tried the DIY kit sold over here. Use your own warm coffee...

My eating habits are stress related. Does she have stress? Does she eat while watching TV or videos? Suddenly, the crackers will be gone.

But it all begins and ends at the supermarket. When I'm hungry, i might buy 1xx Baht worth of pastries or something.

10 hours ago, BurgerGung said:

Another thing she might try? Colon irrigation. I

An interesting topic. If your disciplined enough to go deep into a fast your colon will automatically release a lot more than usual.  I'll let you Google pics . 

Archived