Don't panic Mr Mainwaring! says top lawyer if your bank savings go missing

webfact

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring! says top lawyer if your bank savings go missing

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Top online lawyer Ratchaphon Sirisakhon has told the Thai public not to stress out if their bank savings go missing.

The banks have to return all your money - that's the law he said citing rules number 672 and 659 of civil and trading codes.

But he warned that banks these days were often trying to wriggle their way out of the responsibility of paying by issuing various regulations.

If no agreement can be found the customer should take the bank to court - they are likely to rule that the bank must return all money to the saver.

Daily News commented that the stress caused by losing money from one's account can be severe not to mention the time lost in rectifying the problem.

Mr Mainwaring was head of a platoon in the BBC's popular sitcom Dad's Army; Corporal Jones played by actor Clive Dunn made the "Don't Panic" catchphrase his own.

It is often used in situations when there is no real need for alarm.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-04

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

The banks have to return all your money - that's the law he said

Good luck with that one.

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

If no agreement can be found the customer should take the bank to court

Oh wait, but you can always waste some more money on a TOP lawyer.

More marvelously useless advice from the lawyer out of touch with reality. On every single occasion I have seen where money has gone missing, the bank has point blank refused to pay, and, while I know lots of lawyers, I don't know any who will take on a bank.

Don't stress.....it's only money,and i am sure

your friendly neighborhood bank will swiftly

recompense you ,AFTER they have done everything

to try and prove it was your own fault.

Banks,Lawyers and Insurance Co. don't trust any of them

regards worgeordie

18 minutes ago, webfact said:

Top online lawyer Ratchaphon Sirisakhon has told the Thai public not to stress out if their bank savings go missing.

Captain had a saying of his own ..

IMG_20180904_041202.jpg

For the banks to return lost money to someone's account would be like admitting that they were at fault in the first place. And how often does anyone do that in Thailand?  I guess there's a first time for everything :coffee1:

Of course Mr Mainwaring was actually a bank manager so maybe...….

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Top online lawyer Ratchaphon Sirisakhon has told the Thai public not to stress out if their bank savings go missing hair goes missing.

I'm guessing the reason he's a 'top lawyer' is due having no hair on the top of his head?

Perhaps 'slaphead lawyer' would be more appropriate.

2 hours ago, stud858 said:

It worries me that even the topic is broached.

I would have thought it impossible that your money just disappears.

In Thailand it is possible for your money to 'disappear' in a multitude of ways.  After all; this is 'The Land of Scams' !

Scams may happen in Thailand, I know, involving police and authorities but it's amazing the banks work close to int. Standards. I would have thought police would conspire with banks  to try and scam but somehow they are respected and left alone to serve the community without any hickups. Well done to the banks. You deserve all the money in the world

"But he warned that banks these days were often trying to wriggle their way out of the responsibility of paying by issuing various regulations." ??? And who will win do you think ??? ..T.I.T., this is Thailand a country where corruption is so endemic it is encouraged in schools !!!

It's their money, not yours.

http://www.institute.sk/article.php?3575

If the cash you deposited still belonged to you, your bank would need to ask your permission to use it to make loans under the fractional reserve banking system. Which, of course, it never does.

Banks are allowed out nine times the amount paid in by customers. With so much digital funny money available to plough into all sorts of dodgy schemes, it's not difficult to understand how reckless lending by banks sparks regular credit crises, like the last one in 2008.

And we all know who gets to foot the bill when this happens. Depositors and taxpayers.

Another banking asteroid is bound to hit. It's not a matter of if, only when. Bear this in mind when trusting your money to a Thai bank. They go bust here just as elsewhere. And getting back what you put in will be anything but easy, particularly with the phase-out of depositor insurance.

24 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

And getting back what you put in will be anything but easy, particularly with the phase-out of depositor insurance.

You have a link to it being phased out?

The levels are currently higher than they are in Europe. It is due to be reduced to 1 million, but not until 2020 I believe, and this has been delayed at least once if not twice already.

Just now, topt said:

You have a link to it being phased out?

The levels are currently higher than they are in Europe. It is due to be reduced to 1 million, but not until 2020 I believe, and this has been delayed at least once if not twice already.

Up to 10 August 2016 deposits were protected up to 25 million baht.
Thereafter, protection will be in place for 15 million baht in deposits between Aug 11, 2016 and Aug 10, 2018; for 10 million between Aug 11, 2018 and Aug 10, 2019; for 5 million between Aug 11, 2019 and Aug 10, 2020; and for 1 million by Aug 11, 2020. 

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/deposits-insurance.asp

1 minute ago, Krataiboy said:

Up to 10 August 2016 deposits were protected up to 25 million baht.
Thereafter, protection will be in place for 15 million baht in deposits between Aug 11, 2016 and Aug 10, 2018; for 10 million between Aug 11, 2018 and Aug 10, 2019; for 5 million between Aug 11, 2019 and Aug 10, 2020; and for 1 million by Aug 11, 2020. 

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/deposits-insurance.asp

That was my point - it is not being phased out completely. 

7 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

but you can always waste some more money on a TOP lawyer

And I think he could need some. At least for a better photo of him. The present one looks like a photocopy of an old polaroid photo, or an oil painting.

Yes Thai banks do come under rules,  to pay back money missing from accounts....only for Thai's that is...and the hi-so's !!.....Farangs ? ....get lost please or we will call Big Joke to deport you and ban you for life ! ?

Morality : A farang in Thailand is anything but equal to locals (his money is,  however).

A farang has no rights in any Thai court apart the right to bribe pay his way out if possible.  

So never...never put in more then the strict minimum necessary in your account. Have it wired from abroad for monthly costs, spend it all and leave nothing. . .?

I have a thai friend who told me about her friends account being drained and another of a foreigner who put money in 5 year deposit and returned to find the bank employee gone with never depositing it. I don't keep any money in Thailand and just use a foreign ATM card to live off while I am there. I still have my thai bank accounts but I doubt I will ever use them again.

9 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

For the banks to return lost money to someone's account would be like admitting that they were at fault in the first place. And how often does anyone do that in Thailand?  I guess there's a first time for everything :coffee1:

Of course Mr Mainwaring was actually a bank manager so maybe...….

Why single out Thailand. It happened to me in Malaysia and the Bank was British (HSBC)

17 hours ago, stud858 said:

It worries me that even the topic is broached.

I would have thought it impossible that your money just disappears.

Well you must be years behind the times, i know people that have had money go missing, banks will not refund you, as for lawyers, throwing good money after bad

1 hour ago, Jingjock said:

Well you must be years behind the times, i know people that have had money go missing, banks will not refund you, as for lawyers, throwing good money after bad

Well that worries me even more. So did the bank refuse to even go through transaction statements to decipher what exactly happened to the money? Did they claim it was withdrawn from ATM or something like that. I'm not doubting the claim but sometimes people forget about a transaction they make.

Archived