Khao San Road: It's as quiet as the grave after order is brought to "landmark" Bangkok street

webfact

One could surely be forgiven for believing the brains behind the endless bans on having fun in Thailand were deliberately trying to drive tourists away.

Bans on smoking on beaches and public places. . . A police blitz on massage parlours. . .   Food vendors driven off Bangkok's most famous eating streets. . . And now one of Big Mango's most renowned tourist haunts turned into a sad shadow of its former glory.

For some reason the words goose, golden eggs and kill spring to mind. Hopefully, our military leaders will get the message and order an immediate about-turn in their the forced march to misery.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Singaporean Government did the same to what was once a vibrant street called Boogy Street in The capital.It changed for the worst what used to be one of the best runs ashore in South East Asia. In the 60’s.The Thai Government is determined to copy Singapore which might be the richest country in South East Asia, but also lacks a soul with its clinically clean environment.

These guys have not got a clue about tourist attractions. And many other things they do that create hard times for the poor and deny choice of people who want to see a bit of chaos, some fantastic people watching and great local food. Anyone know who is better off now they have stuffed it?

It is the low season. Perhaps it only looked busy as a result of the masses of vendors cluttering the place up. 

Khao San lost its charm long before this happened but It seems to have generational appeal. Maybe it will morph itself into something different again. 

Oh the memories of my first visit to Thailand. 4 days in Bkk, with the smells, the sounds and the chaos of Khao san Road. Jumping in a tuk-tuk to crazy Pat Pong a couple of nights. Then off to Samui for a week of sun, sea and everything else you can imagine. Nearly 20 years later and I’m still hooked on Thailand.

Yes I’ll occasionally go to Singapore for F1 weekend, or for a couple of days to see friends.  Luang Prabang is a lovely peaceful R&R spot for a day or two. But it’s the jamboree bag that is Thailand that keeps me coming back whenever I can.

When will the Thai authorities realise that these are the things people come to Thailand for? Stop behaving like Hyacinth Bucket, and forget about what the neighbours are doing! Focus on what Thailand does best. Thailand needs a Khao San Road.  The world needs a Khao San Road!

P.S. I was in KSR a week ago, and it was still the same – although I only saw it at night.

2 hours ago, varun said:

No surprise - this is what happens when you let monkey-brained Somchai's take decisions that defy all logic.

Shoot-self-in-the-foot mentality..and then they wonder why the tourists are not coming.

But... but... according to TAT the tourist figures are up 12% (again!)

I think there is more in this than meets the eye, so to speak...i.e. corruption. I have only been to Khao San road once in all the years I been here, not because I didn't like it, I just don't like BKK period (big city). I have only been to BKK just a few times and that was when it was necessary, other than that, I stay away. In Udorn town there is the Central Plaza now, which I understand is connected to that in BKK and a friend who works there says there are thoughts of having Thailand as a 'plazaland'. "Nah..." I said, "...people like the markets too much." "Yeah?..." came the reply, "...if that's the case why are Teasco Lotus supermarkets, Big C etc. got increasing amounts of customers?".

My point is that if anyone wants more large stores they have to clear the way first and perhaps, just perhaps, that's what will happen in Khao San eventually. Places like 7/11 were never much of competition for the markets but TL, Big C...at the w/e it's like a 'Thai family outing' day.

3 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Well there's another big bunch of votes the current mismanage-rs of the country just lost, IF we ever have an election that is, of course.

They seem to have the opposite of the Midas touch, in that everything they get involved with turns FROM gold TO crap.

Don't get too emotional, the gold you saw was only fake plating!!!

1 hour ago, bikerbri said:

The Singaporean Government did the same to what was once a vibrant street called Boogy Street in The capital.It changed for the worst what used to be one of the best runs ashore in South East Asia. In the 60’s.The Thai Government is determined to copy Singapore which might be the richest country in South East Asia, but also lacks a soul with its clinically clean environment.

Boogie street was demolished and replaced with buildings that produced a lot more money in taxes for the government ?

Now I wonder why they are getting rid of the unregulated non tax paying street folks?

Could it be the "government" who are representing their masters the yellow shirted ones who own most of Bangkok have instructed them to do so?

Such initiatives are not new to the current regime. Thaksin's Interior Minister Purachai is probably the best remembered role model when he restricted opening hours for go-go bars and nightlife in Thailand way back when and topped it all when he launched an attack on girls wearing immodest spaghetti straps. He failed with the spaghetti straps but he did succeed with the relative demise of Soi 8 in Pattaya which never quite recovered. Why do they do it? To get brownie points on the moral authority indicator. The reality of what Thailand does comes up against what it purports to be and every so often members of a regime take the opportunity to wrap themselves in a cleanup to polish their 'legitimacy'. And so it goes.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It would be nice to think that the powers that be, actually had enough intelligence to understand what they have done.

One of the most visited destinations effectively destroyed by stupidity and the need to try to make things clean and orderly.

Which no one visiting there wanted.

❤️❤️❤️

3 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Such initiatives are not new to the current regime. Thaksin's Interior Minister Purachai is probably the best remembered role model when he restricted opening hours for go-go bars and nightlife in Thailand way back when and topped it all when he launched an attack on girls wearing immodest spaghetti straps. He failed with the spaghetti straps but he did succeed with the relative demise of Soi 8 in Pattaya which never quite recovered. Why do they do it? To get brownie points on the moral authority indicator. The reality of what Thailand does comes up against what it purports to be and every so often members of a regime take the opportunity to wrap themselves in a cleanup to polish their 'legitimacy'. And so it goes.

The respectable side of the Thailand population, do not want their Country to be known for prostitution , people drinking all night and people eating on the streets .

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The respectable side of the Thailand population, do not want their Country to be known for prostitution , people drinking all night and people eating on the streets .

What they want and what they support in practice are two different things.

4 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Obviously been taking lessons from UK Gov?

Seriously, though when puritanism takes hold, it's surprising how popularity goes up in some countries.  I dare say the General will have it in hand.

Seriously. 

Rules, regulations, committees... People bored and nothing better to do or officials looking to make a name and make themselves look like they're accomplishing something.

Poor Chiangmai is going this route as well. Who needs partying farangs when you've got 95% of the tourists Chinese.

9 minutes ago, happysanook said:

Seriously. 

Rules, regulations, committees... People bored and nothing better to do or officials looking to make a name and make themselves look like they're accomplishing something.

Poor Chiangmai is going this route as well. Who needs partying farangs when you've got 95% of the tourists Chinese.

Although 95 % of tourists in CM are not from China .

And CM is a much more pleasanter place these days , now tht all the sex-pats stay in Pattaya and all the dreadlocked backpacker dregs stay on KPG , stood outside 7/11's with their large Changs , no doubt

These idiots think they can change BKK into some sort of Singapore to attract more foreign (Chinese) investment. The only thing they can and will manage successfully is to throw the baby out with the bath water. Another prime example of idiots / megalomaniacs / whatever else you can think of, who paid for their positions running ruining the country.?

what has escaped most people is that it is not a binary choice. it is a fact that over the last few years the street traders have increasingly taken over the whole road, especially in the evenings/nights, leaving only a narrow corridor for people to walk down - and more often than not food sellers park their carts in this corridor blocking the road further. it was a mess surely not good for business as people could not comfortably shop at the stalls and certainly not a pleasant place to take a stroll or hang out.

compromise was needed whereby the road could be managed in a way that benefited the businesses, their customers and those who use the road in their day to day life.

but... compromise and effective management? no chance. so we are where we are and everyone loses.

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

My point is that if anyone wants more large stores they have to clear the way first and perhaps, just perhaps, that's what will happen in Khao San eventually. Places like 7/11 were never much of competition for the markets but TL, Big C...at the w/e it's like a 'Thai family outing' day.

Can't see the great unwashed enjoying a day mooching round Khao San Big C.

Archived