Khao San Road: It's as quiet as the grave after order is brought to "landmark" Bangkok street

webfact

Slightly off topic, but when I was in Khao San Road the other week, a Thai friend of mine who lives back in the UK asked me to take some photos because she's never been to KSR before. So off I went, walking from one end to the other, snapping pics of Pad Thai stalls, drinkers on the street, party goers in Center bar, scorpions on sticks, etc. etc.

But I got quite a shock when I took a picture of an old lady sitting behind a sign for (overpriced) Chang, Singha, Heineken etc. She started shouting at me, and then grabbed some ice from the cooler box and threw it at me! Never seen anything like this before in Thailand. <deleted> was that all about?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

But I got quite a shock when I took a picture of an old lady sitting behind a sign for (overpriced) Chang, Singha, Heineken etc. She started shouting at me, and then grabbed some ice from the cooler box and threw it at me! Never seen anything like this before in Thailand. <deleted> was that all about?

Perhaps she believed in the idea of voluntary taxation?

you would think reading Thai Visa  that Khao San Road  was the only place in Thailand that back packers travel to 

there is plenty of other places the islands ect

Khao San Road will always be there  agree there could be a drop in tourists but its not the end of the world .

cant get to worked up about it 

4 minutes ago, shackleton said:

you would think reading Thai Visa  that Khao San Road  was the only place in Thailand that back packers travel to 

there is plenty of other places the islands ect

Khao San Road will always be there  agree there could be a drop in tourists but its not the end of the world .

cant get to worked up about it 

+1

Only reason they come to KSR is to meet like-minded people. If they were interested in street food or buying trinkets, they can buy this anywhere in Thailand. Pai seems to be popular with the wannabee hippies. Unfortunately they have a couple of days break in CM, before they reach their destination.

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Slightly off topic, but when I was in Khao San Road the other week, a Thai friend of mine who lives back in the UK asked me to take some photos because she's never been to KSR before. So off I went, walking from one end to the other, snapping pics of Pad Thai stalls, drinkers on the street, party goers in Center bar, scorpions on sticks, etc. etc.

What Kind of idiot takes peoples pictures without permission? 

I've always disliked Khao San Road. Seemed fake and artificial to me. Never understood the buzz.

Bunch of drunk 20 somethings.

Having said that, there must have been a way to reduced the congestion with street carts covering every  bit of sidewalks and road , without destroying the atmosphere.

5 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Try it with motorcycle taxis or tuk tuk drivers in that area and they will probably do worse than throw a few ice cubes

No thanks, but tourists put money into the economy of the country they visit, and it's normal for them to take pictures.

1 hour ago, Ks45672 said:

What Kind of idiot takes peoples pictures without permission? 

Thanks for your kind words.

I did actually show her a release form, but she ran it by her lawyers and they didn't like one of the clauses.  That's when she threw the ice.

1 minute ago, CG1 Blue said:

Thanks for your kind words.

I did actually show her a release form, but she ran it by her lawyers and they didn't like one of the clauses.  That's when she threw the ice.

I've seen people being assaulted and having their phones smashed to pieces for taking pictures without consent ... Be thankful You got off light

Next time might cost you your teeth

15 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

I've seen people being assaulted and having their phones smashed to pieces for taking pictures without consent ... Be thankful You got off light

Next time might cost you your teeth

This was an old lady selling beers from a cool box on Khao San Road, swarming with tourists taking pictures. I think you're over reacting.

Archived