Khao San Road: It's as quiet as the grave after order is brought to "landmark" Bangkok street

webfact

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

A once famous road known throughout the world that generated millions of baht for the economy turned into a graveyard by self serving idiots 

People will just buy their 30 Baht Pad Thai and, 100 Baht t-shirts from somewhere else

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

1 more down, and the rest to follow. The road map to make Thailand like a boring Singapore is well on its way. Street food Vendors - Patpong - Nana - Soi Cowboy - RCA - Chatuchack - any congregation anywhere will be next to die. They already killed the fun beer gardens at Central World during certain times of the year, so adding to the list will be the massage parlors with the girls behind the glass, I suspect the full moon parties will be stepped on more than what they are now, and then the dampening murder of Songkran water festival, then leaving all that's left are the ignorant Chinese tourists who really don't know anything here except come in mass droves and make an area intolerable to be in the same vicinity with them. . 

Quite the Master Plan. The Killing of Thailand.

Next to bite the dust, Chatuchak night market in just over a week...

4 minutes ago, Media1 said:

The dating sites are full of hookers 

No business outside army closures. One ho was saying the army want us  lol. Yeah right.

You don't happen to know the Russian guy who jumped into the sea clutching a fistful of barbecued chicken, do you?

I think a few of them have wandered into the Silom business district shocked by the cost of what an 'upscale' tourist attraction costs.  It didn't stop them from wearing flip flops, tank tops, and fishermen pants in the city.  Tourists really do look like massive dorks sometimes.

54 minutes ago, falangjim said:

I think a few of them have wandered into the Silom business district shocked by the cost of what an 'upscale' tourist attraction costs.  It didn't stop them from wearing flip flops, tank tops, and fishermen pants in the city.  Tourists really do look like massive dorks sometimes.

The key to a cheap vacation is to avoid tourist areas. I cant understand going to a foreign country and hanging out with nothing but tourists. 

13 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

The key to a cheap vacation is to avoid tourist areas. I cant understand going to a foreign country and hanging out with nothing but tourists. 

As Alf Garnett put it "The trouble with going abroad is it's full of bloody foreigners!"

This place is in an extreme down turn if they do not get rid of this military state as it is now Thailand is finished as a great place to come and visit.

The Chinese, Russian and Indians only care about visiting the well known places to show there friends they have been there don't spend any money in restaurants, bars or shops only organised travel. 

The TAT say great numbers visiting Thailand yes but ( Bullshit) they don't spend much money in restaurants, bars for the Thai people to make a decent living as when many farlangs used to come,. but bad organisation, control, bad  publicity and safety for tourists by the Thai government military state has ruined this place and turned them away they don't seem to understand that Thailand is not the and only place in the word to visit something that Thailand with this government have forgotten about.

To me it's perfectly fine the way it is now and I like the area the way it was prior. I was down that way around 2pm 2 weeks ago and you know what? It was a joy to be able to walk normally down the street without the tat for sale on the sidewalks. 

Who in their right mind buys any food at those stalls on the street anyway? It's worse than McDonalds. 

Still loads of people in pubs and wandering around. It may well appear there are less people at that time of the day because, well, there is a massive wide street available for everyone to walk down now, not just some gauntlet of stalls, bikes, taxis, tuktuks and pad thai (it really isn't pad thai...)

This is change for the better imho. 

great nanny state thai army jaunta and the idiot PM  absolute Kwais ,

no idea what they are doing other than killing thailand every day a little bit more,

banning everything and anyone tourism is drying up  farangs not wanted in thailand, street stalls gone , visa bull sh-te always something , bars , clubs, can't smile , boring place no wonder everyone heading to vietnam , back to the philippine, even cambodia has more freedom

18 hours ago, mommysboy said:

How was it disorderly before the ban?  Is Khao San road meant to be a residential area?  Are the much more respectable shop- keepers happy now?

If you wanted to point the finger it would surely be at the bars who pump out eardrum shattering music, while their customers spill on to the street. But nobody does accuse, because 99% of normal people realise that's what the area is all about.  What next, ban farting at a bean eating contest?

Appears to rely on opinion and less on research. 99%? Was that arrived at by door to door canvassing or mailers? The last line greatly diminished the previous content, which did have some valid points.

So what is current situation? Are street bars allowed to keep open on nightime? Food? Clothes? I guess normal bars (excluding street bars) are open as usually but what time they close? Khao san road was great before, everything open until morning and Mulligans 24/7. First they didnt let Mulligans keep open, then they start to close street bars 2am. And now this, is there any street bars left? Chaos is part of Khao san. First they spoiled Sukhumvit Road, now this. 

As far as I am concerned, it just looks like it used to when I lived there nearly 30 years ago..... Travelers looking for cheap accommodation and cheap food, lots of little travel and guide shops, not the  crazy Patpong like market, over-priced everything, and crazy nightlife that frankly IMO messed up what the character of what it started out as, and what made it different in the first place... I for one hope it stays that way, but then again I'm just a grumpy old f*art LOL!

12 hours ago, mickyboy said:

samsean the place to go now take it back to the old hippie days

It has been for the last 5 years I reckon. 

Loads of decent food places and pubs dotted all over the place. The blues bar is especially good and the scene now surrounding it. 

54 minutes ago, XO101 said:

So what is current situation? Are street bars allowed to keep open on nightime? Food? Clothes? I guess normal bars (excluding street bars) are open as usually but what time they close? Khao san road was great before, everything open until morning and Mulligans 24/7. First they didnt let Mulligans keep open, then they start to close street bars 2am. And now this, is there any street bars left? Chaos is part of Khao san. First they spoiled Sukhumvit Road, now this. 

I was there last week, just for one night. Everything was open as normal, and all the street bars were rammed. I believe the changes only affect mornings/afternoons.

I preferred it when Gullivers was there.  Not sure if you're mixing up Gullivers with Mulligans?

How would you like to have lived a long full and hard life, sitting there trying to eek out a living, then some foreigner without even the basic manners to ask, starts taking pictures of you like you are some kind of tourist attraction?!

Try using your brain sometimes, that's what it's there for.

Archived