Khao San Road: It's as quiet as the grave after order is brought to "landmark" Bangkok street

webfact

Ok sounds still ok. And no, Gullivers is different place than Mulligans. Mulligans is upstairs of McDonalds. Customers mostly thais and it was open 24/7 before. And open on buddha days etc. If one bar was open in Bkk on buddha days, it was Mulligans. But now times have changed and they will close around 3-4am.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, bikerbri said:

The Singaporean Government did the same to what was once a vibrant street called Boogy Street in The capital.It changed for the worst what used to be one of the best runs ashore in South East Asia. In the 60’s.The Thai Government is determined to copy Singapore which might be the richest country in South East Asia, but also lacks a soul with its clinically clean environment.

Vibrancy is good, but do you think a few changes to one short road in one city is going to really have any kind of impact on the country?  I think not.

Perhaps both countries decided to draw the line somewhere and retain their own culture in those paces, instead of just turning them into party spots for foreigners.....

I too am not a fan of Singapore and its clinical rules and control, but who are we to tell them how to run their country.....  It's simple, if you don't like somewhere, go somewhere you do....

You seem like a reasonable person, and I don't mean this as an attack, just giving an opinion...

15 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I was there last week, just for one night. Everything was open as normal, and all the street bars were rammed. I believe the changes only affect mornings/afternoons.

I preferred it when Gullivers was there.  Not sure if you're mixing up Gullivers with Mulligans?

ah... gullivers, those were the days. what a great place, sure there were a few 'working girls' hanging around the pool tables at the back but anyone in the know knew there were plenty of normal thai girls going there just looking to hook up and have some fun with a foreign guy. i had amazing success over a number of years and some incredible experiences with girls i met there - and non cared a jot about money. great times indeed.

On 9/4/2018 at 1:36 PM, yellowboat said:

YOu would think that given how much the junta loves money, they would just leave it alone.  Looks like they want it to go the same way as the Democracy Plaque.   Lovers of all things good and Thai they are not.  

All things good and Thai? How is that anything to do with stopping tourist tat being sold on a street in the middle of the day, blocking people's normal use of the street?

I might not disagree with your sentiment re the junta, but this has nothing to do with leaving people to be "Thai".  

7 minutes ago, cyborgx said:

All things good and Thai? How is that anything to do with stopping tourist tat being sold on a street in the middle of the day, blocking people's normal use of the street?

I might not disagree with your sentiment re the junta, but this has nothing to do with leaving people to be "Thai".  

They have been doing it for over 30 years and they are Thai and tourists like it.   In 30 years, it has never been a normal street.  

What planet do you live on ?  There are plenty of other nearby, parallel streets you can stroll down in that area if you want to avoid Khaoasan.  It is one of the few places in Bangkok that have multiple through streets.  Nobody is forced to walk down KSR.  Again, why can't they be left alone ?

On 9/4/2018 at 2:56 PM, natway09 said:

They killed Singapore the same way. It used to be a great fun place where water always found it's own

level. Now you have to break the bank to go there.

Maybe if the Boss built another bloody train which stopped there ,,, nah I better stop now

and that is because.......?

Because the place is successful, and people are prepared to live there and pay the prices, and the strength of the economy supports the higher cost of living.

I personally am no fan of Singapore either, and I've enjoyed some of the westernization of Asia, but that doesn't mean that it's necessary good or right..... 

9 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

They have been doing it for over 30 years and they are Thai and tourists like it.   In 30 years, it has never been a normal street.  

What planet do you live on ?  There are plenty of other nearby, parallel streets you can stroll down in that area if you want to avoid Khaoasan.  It is one of the few places in Bangkok that have multiple through streets.  Nobody is forced to walk down KSR.  Again, why can't they be left alone ?

what planet? seriously?

I've lived here for around that long. 

Yeah, right. So local people who have lived there all their life should have to walk the long way round just so that foreigners can buy some souvenirs and get drunk during the day?

I definitely don't come from your planet and wouldn't want to live there......

46 minutes ago, cyborgx said:

what planet? seriously?

I've lived here for around that long. 

Yeah, right. So local people who have lived there all their life should have to walk the long way round just so that foreigners can buy some souvenirs and get drunk during the day?

I definitely don't come from your planet and wouldn't want to live there......

Totally, completely serious.  Where is here ?  So you live near KSR ?  You know the area really well ?  If so, you would know that you can avoid KSR easily. 

Long away around ?  That is crazy talk.  Mayom parallels KSR and is an easy walk.  On top of that, how many residential buildings are even there ?    I do think many Thais even live near there.  They are over on Samat where again they can avoid KSR.

Getting drunk during the day is not confined to KSR, and what do you care ?  These people are on vacation.

Are local, non civil servants, people complaining about KSR ?  First I have heard of this.   Young locals now hangout there. 

55 minutes ago, samsensam said:

ah... gullivers, those were the days. what a great place, sure there were a few 'working girls' hanging around the pool tables at the back but anyone in the know knew there were plenty of normal thai girls going there just looking to hook up and have some fun with a foreign guy. i had amazing success over a number of years and some incredible experiences with girls i met there - and non cared a jot about money. great times indeed.

Spot on - it was unique in that respect! I just don't understand why they closed it.  It was always busy. It can't have been a business decision...

1 hour ago, millwall_fan said:

This is all part of General Prayuth's oft stated policy to 'Bring Happiness Back to the Elite'. He has been remarkably successful on that score during his 4 years of power stolen at the end of a gun barrel. Sad for the ordinary Thais. 

People get governments that they deserve...

6 hours ago, millwall_fan said:

This is all part of General Prayuth's oft stated policy to 'Bring Happiness Back to the Elite'. He has been remarkably successful on that score during his 4 years of power stolen at the end of a gun barrel. Sad for the ordinary Thais. 

Might have been different if the clone hadn't done the clone thing, but had to drive the train into the buffers.

On 9/4/2018 at 11:02 AM, sanemax said:

Although 95 % of tourists in CM are not from China .

And CM is a much more pleasanter place these days , now tht all the sex-pats stay in Pattaya and all the dreadlocked backpacker dregs stay on KPG , stood outside 7/11's with their large Changs , no doubt

But Pattaya the most successful  in repelling the backpacker crowd and for that it wins First Prize. Chiang Mai best for asphyxiation in the burning season.

9 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Maybe if they do the same to Nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy, Bangla Road and Pattaya, the economy would suffer massively and the baht would devalue. Can only hope...

I think you grossly overestimate the importance of above places to the Thai economy.... 

They could close nana and cowboy tomorrow and nobody in government house would probably even notice... 

5 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

I think you grossly overestimate the importance of above places to the Thai economy.... 

They could close nana and cowboy tomorrow and nobody in government house would probably even notice... 

I think you underestimate their influence on the balance of payments

23 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Instead of doing a hia count do a monger count. Multiply by an agreed number and voila

1 hour ago, Ks45672 said:

Ok, but what's the agreed number? ? 

Lets use the most expensive for one hit a day. that will cover guys who maybe hit cheaper places twice a day. So lets say 1000 baht worth of drinks, 1000 baht bar fine per day, 3000 average between ST and LT, add three meals at 500Baht a meal (cuz you know he is eating western food), a hotel at 1000 and we can say, 7500. Add taxis, tips, condoms, fags....how about lets call it 10,000 a day. Give us 7 days, how about 70000 baht per monger.

The key is not to double count. So you would have to mark the targets with a paintball gun.

1 hour ago, manarak said:
6 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

Thailands economy is not surviving on expats  banging hookers..... ?

1 USD net inflow in the balance of payments is worth 10 GDP dollars.

based on my calculations it's only 9.36 GDP Dollars :crazy:

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Lets use the most expensive for one hit a day. that will cover guys who maybe hit cheaper places twice a day. So lets say 1000 baht worth of drinks, 1000 baht bar fine per day, 3000 average between ST and LT, add three meals at 500Baht a meal (cuz you know he is eating western food), a hotel at 1000 and we can say, 7500. Add taxis, tips, condoms, fags....how about lets call it 10,000 a day. Give us 7 days, how about 70000 baht per monger.

The key is not to double count. So you would have to mark the targets with a paintball gun.

Don't forget to add taxi fares to the clinic for injections for STD's.

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

i've seen these kind of punters who throw around money as per your estimate. at least three, perhaps even five, during the last 13½ years of my stay in Thailand. :whistling:

Archived