Khao San Road: It's as quiet as the grave after order is brought to "landmark" Bangkok street

webfact

1 hour ago, Naam said:

i've seen these kind of punters who throw around money as per your estimate. at least three, perhaps even five, during the last 13½ years of my stay in Thailand. :whistling:

And the next day complain they must have been short-changed in every bar because they 'couldn't' have spent that much.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They didn’t close the cheap guest houses which is why many head there as I did as a teenager 20 odd years ago. I ended up roaming and still am. Sorry if I got in your way somewhere 555

Those where the days! I arrived in Thailand from Malaysia ( anybody here remembers Mama’s Hitek GH in Kota Bharu?) and later in Bangkok - Soi Khao San - in March 1986. Bonny Guest House I think was the name - I am sure it is long gone.

It was great little restaurants all around with cheap local and delicious food, clean rooms.

There where not many bars there in those days, also hardly any street stalls I think there was one large bar at the end of the Soi - but this was a totally different time.

One did not only stay there purely for the cheap accommodation - but mostly for meeting likeminded people and the information exchanged with other backpackers.

There was no Internet in those days or smart phones where one could get instant information - we relied on each other’s information and recommendations whether we were traveling North or South (and of course the famous book one had to carry - SEAOAS)

Met some great people heard some wonderful stories - absolutely amazing time!

This was a time of adventure and happiness without worries, boring daily routine and responsibilities - every day was a new adventure - wouldn’t miss it for the world!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

People get governments that they deserve...

Only if they come from elections - I don’t think anybody deservers that their rights are taken away at gunpoint!
The worst is still to come - have you seen who they appointed as new army chief ?
Check out James Buchanan’s tweet - target practice on unarmed civilians - frightening !!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Actually it's very sad that such a crappy place as KSR has become such a landmark.

All the tourists want is a cheap room and loads of terraces with restaurants/bars but not Thai style (where you sit on a stone or plastic chair without backrest). They want to sit on European standard terraces and drink quality booze...

There should come a new touristneighbourhood with higher standards, close to skytrain/subway and along the river or so...where they can drink/eat with a view.

38 minutes ago, johnsnapo said:

No idea but if it's not the Metropolitan Authority they could probably lease it as it's been there for donkeys years earning what looks like a pittance.

probably someone waiting for permission to build a skyscraper of condos on it..... Or another central mall 

They don't have one in that area?

Archived