Electric bicycle

Rnie1

Any idea of where to buy an electric bike to use for touring? My alternative is to bring my own, but shipping the battery has its problems.  I can get a new one sent from China, but then I need a place to hold it for me till I pick it up.

Suggestions on either are welcome.

cheers

There are a few similar topics across the forum that you can search for, asking the same questions, maybe they can help you, also it will help if you give us an idea where you are located.

• 3 weeks later...

I was surprised to learn at the weekend that regenerative braking is not the norm for electric bikes.  

If I was the designer, I’d put a small motor on the bike - maybe 50-100 Watts, just enough to help you up the hills, not drag you, and a tiny battery that you recharged on the downhill and the flats.  You’d still do the same work in a day - maybe more because of the weight of the battery and motor, but more evenly spread, and would ease those wheezing climbs when you can’t say ‘ambulance’ to the 911 Operator

Last week I was at Chaitawat's bike shop in Chiang Mai.
They have 2 brand new Focus e-bikes (45 km/h) suitable for trekking with 500 Wh battery, last year's model, 160'000 THB, what is about 10 - 20% more than in Europe. But not too bad keeping in mind that it is almost impossible for a private person to get the battery to Thailand.
Unfortunately of course no chance for qualified repair in Thailand in case something happens to motor, battery or display.

Furthermore for 17'500 THB they offer a middle motor kit incl. 375 Wh bottle shape frame battery which may be good for not more than 70 km at lowest assistance level. Seems to be a chinese product (Never heard the brand, so forgot it) and can be mounted to every "civilized" bike. Made a very short test ride; the assistance is working fine. Could be worth a try ...

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2018 at 10:31 AM, StreetCowboy said:

I was surprised to learn at the weekend that regenerative braking is not the norm for electric bikes.  

If I was the designer, I’d put a small motor on the bike - maybe 50-100 Watts, just enough to help you up the hills, not drag you, and a tiny battery that you recharged on the downhill and the flats.  You’d still do the same work in a day - maybe more because of the weight of the battery and motor, but more evenly spread, and would ease those wheezing climbs when you can’t say ‘ambulance’ to the 911 Operator

I believe some of the hub motors regen. 

The small motor small battery is a idea I have been thinking about for a while. Just something that would help with steep/long hills or maybe let you start up a gear or two from a stop. 

• 1 month later...

You can get Thai built electric bicycles here for under 20000 baht.   

Unfortunately , the best of them , LA bike went out of business some time ago .  I bought my bike from them for 25000 baht and it's still working great after 5 years.  Top speed around 30 km/h .  I only replaced the battery once. 

1.+Free+24+inch+(1).jpg

But there is another Thai dealer who make and sell e-bikes here. YOu can try to send them a message on FB , they should understand some English . 

http://ebikr.com/store/electric-bike/

https://www.facebook.com/ebikrcom

On 12/5/2018 at 1:16 PM, Aforek said:

45 kmh, it's pretty fast for a bicycle; you don't think that in future, there will be a sort of licence to use it ?

How is it in other countries ? 

Some of the other countries limit the output, when the speed gets to 20 km an hour, the motor stops assisting. 

That can also be bypassed on most bikes, I have a Cube Attention mountain bike which has been fitted with a mid motor and 500W battery,

The assist is limitless, but with the gearing, 35km an hour is the max I can paddle, of course downhill it will do 45, but I cant keep up with the paddling.

500w is also not legal in Aus, 250W is max. on the road.

On 12/5/2018 at 5:16 AM, Aforek said:

45 kmh, it's pretty fast for a bicycle; you don't think that in future, there will be a sort of licence to use it ?

How is it in other countries ? 

Most are ok to 25kph, the high speed bikes need a number plate and a moped license as well as third party insurance as a minimum, that's here in the Netherlands and they are moving to get the mopeds and scooters off the bicycle lanes and onto the roads in the city's that means helmets will be compulsory.As the high speed bikes are relatively newish they are making the rules up as they go along.Don't hit anybody without insurance.

On 12/7/2018 at 5:44 AM, Rnie1 said:

Some of the other countries limit the output, when the speed gets to 20 km an hour, the motor stops assisting. 

That can also be bypassed on most bikes, I have a Cube Attention mountain bike which has been fitted with a mid motor and 500W battery,

The assist is limitless, but with the gearing, 35km an hour is the max I can paddle, of course downhill it will do 45, but I cant keep up with the paddling.

500w is also not legal in Aus, 250W is max. on the road.

sorry the 500w battery is bs. I meant 500w motor. They are ok off the road but illegal on the road here.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:16 PM, Aforek said:

45 kmh, it's pretty fast for a bicycle; you don't think that in future, there will be a sort of licence to use it ? How is it in other countries ? 

In Europe, there are 2 main categories for e-Bikes / "electric bikes":

- L1e-A: with mainly limit to 25 km/h and a max ratio of 4 for motor-power on user-power

- L1e-B: for others, but still less than 45 km/h

In France, anyone who can drive a normal bicycle can drive a L1e-A, but L1e-B are seen as motorbikes and then require: helmet, insurance, license, matriculation plaque...

Archived