Aircon Advice

dario77

2 hours ago, moontang said:

much more consistent temps, and no bang at start-up...same with the A-C.

Never had any fridge that banged and the only aircon that banged had its expansion valve open too much allowing liquid to flow back to compressor.  You cannot compress a liquid so the compressor complains quite noisily.

if you can't hear the loud noises at start up,,especially in AC, get your hearing checked..or don't go to bed so drunk.  In my last place, a very modern LG was noisy enough to wake me up in a studio, and I could even here the upstairs unit kick on.  Your comments about the inverter as are uneducated, uniformed, and plain silly.  Those energy ratings and estimated energy costs are pretty accurate, unless you are using them not as intended..like running 9000 hth in an uninsulated  room that is too big.  Reminds me of the guy who proved a 80286 was faster than 80386...

1 hour ago, moontang said:

if you can't hear the loud noises at start up,,especially in AC, get your hearing checked..or don't go to bed so drunk.  In my last place, a very modern LG was noisy enough to wake me up in a studio, and I could even here the upstairs unit kick on. 

Huh?

13 hours ago, moontang said:

if you can't hear the loud noises at start up,,especially in AC, get your hearing checked..or don't go to bed so drunk.  In my last place, a very modern LG was noisy enough to wake me up in a studio, and I could even here the upstairs unit kick on.  Your comments about the inverter as are uneducated, uniformed, and plain silly.  Those energy ratings and estimated energy costs are pretty accurate, unless you are using them not as intended..like running 9000 hth in an uninsulated  room that is too big.  Reminds me of the guy who proved a 80286 was faster than 80386...

if you can hear loud noises at start up get your ac checked!! you should hear a low beep that acknowledges remote signal and a gentle whoosh as the fan starts. is all.

I've had a Samsung 21,000 BTU Inverter air conditioner for 4-5 years and would never buy a Samsung AC unit again.  I purchased it at Power Mall in Siam Paragon.  

The included installation was done on time.  I did have to pay extra for additional tubing beyond 3 m.

Repairs have been constant, averaging about B4000-5000/year.  Power Mall just refers you to Samsung and just trying to get their CS on the phone can entail literally hours of hold time.  Never less than 5 days for a tech to arrive and they NEVER have the needed parts...always an additional 5+ days. 

NOTHING is ever covered by the so called 5 year warranty.

I finally found an independent repair guy.  He knows me well now because he has to come at least twice a year.

The inverter does seem to function as it's supposed to.  I can hear the various speeds going into effect as demand changes.  I cool a 65sq/m studio, power bills average a bit above B2000, only nears B3000 in April/May.

9 minutes ago, dddave said:

I've had a Samsung 21,000 BTU Inverter air conditioner for 4-5 years and would never buy a Samsung AC unit again.  I purchased it at Power Mall in Siam Paragon.  

The included installation was done on time.  I did have to pay extra for additional tubing beyond 3 m.

Repairs have been constant, averaging about B4000-5000/year.  Power Mall just refers you to Samsung and just trying to get their CS on the phone can entail literally hours of hold time.  Never less than 5 days for a tech to arrive and they NEVER have the needed parts...always an additional 5+ days. 

I finally found an independent repair guy.  He knows me well now because he has to come at least twice a year.

The inverter does seem to function as it's supposed to.  I can hear the various speeds going into effect as demand changes.  I cool a 65sq/m studio, power bills average a bit above B2000, only nears B3000 in April/May.

Can you recall what was actually failing and needing repair, compressor, gas leak, capacitor etc ?

15 hours ago, moontang said:

If you can hear loud noises get your aircon checked.  Perhaps the compressor vibration mounts are in shipping position.  I expect you also believed VWs emission figures.  There is no need for insults around or throw your toys out the pram.  Inverters can save you money but the emphasis is on can.   If it says saves 40% then a reasonable person would question that.  Most figures are done in ideal conditions.

2 hours ago, dddave said:

and who told you a 21000 BTU would be correct for a 65 sm condo?  That is going to require two units 98% of the time.  That would be the correct tonnage for a system with ducts..not a ductless.  Is there any brand that works properly if the lines leak?  3M?  You tried taking a shortcut, and got burned.  Did you ever bother looking up at the thousands of condo buildings that have two units per condo?  Did you ever consider going to Samsung in person?  Welcome to the TV Hardway Club...it is most obviously based in CM.

https://www.carrierthailand.com/en/services/btu-calculator/

10 hours ago, dddave said:

On the other hand this charthttps://www.totalhomesupply.com/air-conditioner-btu-calculator/

Says your aircon is around the right size without allowing for extras, windows etc. You shouldn't have to keep repairing your aircon.  I have changed numerous capacitors on the compressor motor over the years but they are cheap enough.  My Toshiba 24000btu unit did throw a main control board which cost 2500B for a replacement unit this year. What part is failing?  If it is electronic control boards then I would certainly add your electrical supply to a list of possibles.  Try googling the model, there maybe a history there somewhere.

47 minutes ago, Dellboy218 said:

On the other hand this charthttps://www.totalhomesupply.com/air-conditioner-btu-calculator/

Says your aircon is around the right size without allowing for extras, windows etc. You shouldn't have to keep repairing your aircon.  I have changed numerous capacitors on the compressor motor over the years but they are cheap enough.  My Toshiba 24000btu unit did throw a main control board which cost 2500B for a replacement unit this year. What part is failing?  If it is electronic control boards then I would certainly add your electrical supply to a list of possibles.  Try googling the model, there maybe a history there somewhere.

great link...but did by chance you notice they are in northern New Jersey.?  And is your 65 sm all in one room?  You do realize that cooling is different in Bangkok, don't you?

If you thought that link was great how about this one

http://blog.aircon-servicing.com.sg/2015/03/hdb-aircon-btu-calculation-guide.html?m=1

I presume the air in Singapore is close enough to Bangkok.  I also presume you know it's not in  one room, the number of windows etc.  The gentleman has an aircon and it's not up to you to insult him or any one else.  He has a problem with reliability not with cooling!

25 minutes ago, Dellboy218 said:

The gentleman has an aircon and it's not up to you to insult him or any one else. 

He/she is the third or fourth reincarnation of one who is always unpleasant.  Recommend ignore. Save your good help and advice for the receptive.

3 hours ago, Dellboy218 said:

If you thought that link was great how about this one

http://blog.aircon-servicing.com.sg/2015/03/hdb-aircon-btu-calculation-guide.html?m=1

I presume the air in Singapore is close enough to Bangkok.  I also presume you know it's not in  one room, the number of windows etc.  The gentleman has an aircon and it's not up to you to insult him or any one else.  He has a problem with reliability not with cooling!

I quoted the company that brought refrigeration to Thailand almost 90 years ago.  There is a lot more to reliability than it turning on.  Reminds me of the Iranian guy, who put his van on cruise control and went to the back to get a beer.  I am using a 15 year old Fujitsu.  18,000 BTUs, just like the other 599 condos.  Double studios use 2 x 18,000.  It wasn't done as a consumer ripoff.  96% is pretty good at most things....except plumbing, electrical, and HVAC.  Most choose not to have to sleep at hotels during heatwaves.  

On 9/6/2018 at 10:29 AM, eyecatcher said:

infact a 9k btu  inverter will use not much more electricity than a typical ceiling fan.

:cheesy:

On 9/7/2018 at 11:10 AM, eyecatcher said:

I have one 9kbtu inverter aircon only at home which I have had for only 1 year after only having ceiling fans. My electric bills have increased from 400bt month to just under 600bt month, so for me that one aircon is costing 200bt a month extra...

running it in cooling mode for only 2 days a month?

eyecatcher said:
With respect mr Dellboy you clearly have little concept of how inverters work, how they save energy, and thus how they save on running costs.
Your typical aircon is straight up to full power consumption, and will stay at that output for a long time, often not even switching off.
the inverter uses high initial energy for maybe 5 minutes max at which point it drops down the gears and idles with no noise, no switching on and off and regulates the air temp at a constant on very low power.

absolute technical layman's rubbish that applies to the comment on conventional units as well as to inverters. i consider it a waste of time to go into details.

On 9/16/2018 at 11:10 PM, Naam said:

absolute technical layman's rubbish that applies to the comment on conventional units as well as to inverters. i consider it a waste of time to go into details.

Another valuable comment on this thread, criticises and offers nothing else.

Laugh all you want, the only thing I made a mistake with was i said my 9k unit, actually its a 12k unit and for my 200bt extra, i ran it for 21 days through the night only.

Its safe to say tgat 200bt isnt much more than the cost of a ceili g fan over the same period.

4 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Another valuable comment on this thread, criticises and offers nothing else.

Laugh all you want, the only thing I made a mistake with was i said my 9k unit, actually its a 12k unit and for my 200bt extra, i ran it for 21 days through the night only.

Its safe to say tgat 200bt isnt much more than the cost of a ceili g fan over the same period.

what part of my comment

i consider it a waste of time to go into details.

is it you don't understand?

I find it really sad that a simple discussion relating to air conditioning, like so many other benign topics here on TV, can descend so quickly into petulant bickering and boorishness, almost like internet road-rage.

It's like you're all eight year old's in the back seat of a car.

2 hours ago, dddave said:

I find it really sad that a simple discussion relating to air conditioning, like so many other benign topics here on TV, can descend so quickly into petulant bickering and boorishness, almost like internet road-rage.

It's like you're all eight year old's in the back seat of a car.

simple discussion don't lead to negative development. wrong and misleading advice should be denounced.

Archived