"Teacher - see that prisoner - he's my dad!"

webfact

"Teacher - see that prisoner - he's my dad!"

2pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A schoolboy on a trip to a local prison with his classmates was observed by the teacher in charge to have tears in his eyes.

He was staring intently at one of the inmates who also appeared to be emotional.

The Khunatham Camp teacher asked the boy what was troubling him and he said:

"Sir, that prisoner is my dad".

The director of the Region 7 prison gave the go ahead for a meeting between the two. There were hugs and more tears before the son performed the highest act of Thai respect - a "graap" at the feet of his father.

The convict was heard to say: "I miss you. I'm sorry. I'll be good when I get out. Don't misbehave son!"

Asked if his son felt ashamed in front of classmates to have a father inside the boy said: "I am not ashamed".

The story was posted to Facebook by a teacher in Rayong and reported by Sanook.

No names were mentioned and it was not stated what crime the father had committed.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-05

10 hours ago, bluesofa said:

He has been incarcerated in here for fifteen years, said the boy, aged ten.

I didn't see any of this information regarding dates in the post attached to this?

where did your information come from?

Shame is a learned behavior. I am not sure about Thai culture on this aspect of human behavior.I have not lived in Thailand long enough to find out. This schoolboy not being ashamed of his father being a prisoner may be an exception for all I know.

In Japan where I lived for a year I found there was very little theft problem. People in countryside do not even lock their doors when they go out. The sense of shame is strongly inculcated in their behavior from childhood. To be caught as a thief is a big shame- almost unbearable sense of shame . When I read  -The Japan Times that published the various crimes rate in the whole of Japan every year I was surprised by the figure of Theft and Robbery.  For a population of about 132 million people it would be the lowest in world I guess.

I strongly believe Thailand will do well using the Japanese system of inculcating a sense of shame in wrong doing during early childhood..

7 hours ago, digger70 said:

Dad been in prison  15 yrs,,, boy 10 yrs old,,, boy maybe Not His son unless the Father had Sex in Prison with his wife.

And you know this for a fact?

See post #19

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

That was just a joke by a TV poster, it wasnt a fact

And one in very poor taste too.

39 minutes ago, Kim J said:

Never mind. I bet it will not be many years before this boy follows in his fathers footsteps and embarks upon his own life of crime, soon after they will most likely be able to see each other on a daily basis.

What a totally negative attitude.

10 hours ago, madusa said:

Shame is a learned behavior. I am not sure about Thai culture on this aspect of human behavior.I have not lived in Thailand long enough to find out. This schoolboy not being ashamed of his father being a prisoner may be an exception for all I know.

In Japan where I lived for a year I found there was very little theft problem. People in countryside do not even lock their doors when they go out. The sense of shame is strongly inculcated in their behavior from childhood. To be caught as a thief is a big shame- almost unbearable sense of shame . When I read  -The Japan Times that published the various crimes rate in the whole of Japan every year I was surprised by the figure of Theft and Robbery.  For a population of about 132 million people it would be the lowest in world I guess.

I strongly believe Thailand will do well using the Japanese system of inculcating a sense of shame in wrong doing during early childhood..

Thanks...................but we are not in Japan 

22 hours ago, madusa said:

12 hours ago, sanemax said:

Thanks...................but we are not in Japan 

Quite often up here in rural Khampaeng Phet I have gone down to the village and not only did I not lock the house several time I did not even shut the door. I usually don't lock the car in the big village except on market days and I have left food, soda, whiskey etc in the car when I went to a different shop. I have even left the engine running and the car unlocked with the a/c on and in the 14 years I have been living here nothing has been stolen.

Would I do the same in BKK, Pattaya or Phuket etc? No way but that is the biggest difference in Thailand.

Up here we respect each other and our goods. The smiles I get from Thais are genuine smiles and I can crack the odd joke or two and get a laugh.

In the tourist areas I think not so much. Here I feel perfectly safe, in the tourist areas not so much but I still feel  safer than back in the UK even in broad daylight, especially as an older person who is more likely to be robbed or assaulted there.

A whole lot in Thailand depends on where you are, who you are with and your attitude. Over the years I have found that if I can laugh and joke about myself first and with Thais, that they tend to laugh and smile at and with me.

Archived