Celebrities joining Gen Prayut to launch new public campaign

webfact

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

I would have thought it not very Thai to want the support of a cover group who blatantly copy a Japanese one?

He would get more votes with the real ones

Well, BNK48 is very popular among Thai teenagers and young adults and often gets promoted in other products, so if the goal is to attract these target audiences to check the campaign out then BNK48 is not a bad choice at all. It works better than just having ordinary Thai singers, actors, actresses in there. The BNK48's fanbase is also very active.

And I'm not really sure why you're saying that BNK48 is a cover group blatantly copying AKB48 and fake. That implies that they're not an official 48's sister group and just stole 48's name for themselves? Or maybe I didn't get the sarcasm.

The group is as official as other foreign sister groups such as JKT48, MNL48, MUM48 and SGO48.

So they are allowed to use the same model as AKB48, same songs (And translated), etc because they're literally the AKB48's sister group. If that means blatantly copying AKB48 then I don't know what to say. It's like saying 48 groups mentioned above + other sister groups in Japan are blatantly copying AKB48. Might as well say that any AKB48 2nd Gen members and later Gens are blatantly copying the 1st Gen in that case.

Also about the votes he would get with the AKB ones. I think it's actually the opposite. Actually not that many people in Thailand follow AKB and their other sister groups actively. Many just follow and care about BNK48. Many BNK48 members didn't know much about AKB48 before coming for an audition too. And I think I remember in Japan Expo where they had AKB48 go on stage before BNK48, some fans were being disrespectful and shouting "Where's BNK48? I want to see BNK48!" too.

2 minutes ago, chama said:

Ah....a new approach in the indoctrination program. Wonder if the new puppets are payed or just delusional?

I wonder if you used 'payed' in the 'paying out rope' sense of the word - as in give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves.

16 minutes ago, dajacob33 said:

Well, BNK48 is very popular among Thai teenagers and young adults and often gets promoted in other products, so if the goal is to attract these target audiences to check the campaign out then BNK48 is not a bad choice at all. It works better than just having ordinary Thai singers, actors, actresses in there. The BNK48's fanbase is also very active.

This is the original fortune cookie by AKB48 the Thai version is a total copy, like an Elvis or Beatles cover band, no originality at all. Smacks of desperation by the PM to me.

18 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

This is the original fortune cookie by AKB48 the Thai version is a total copy, like an Elvis or Beatles cover band, no originality at all. Smacks of desperation by the PM to me.

That's because they're the OFFICIALLY LICENSED 48's SISTER GROUP. They're licensed directly by AKB48 and are allowed to use the 48 name, songs, etc. Even Izurina (Former AKB48 member) is transferred to BNK48.

If you look at it that way, it's a copy. But they're officially licensed. And why do they have to use only original songs if they license 48's name in the first place? In that case, they don't need to be "BNK48" at all.

So you're saying that it doesn't matter that they're officially licensed or part of the 48 sister group and that they're considered cover group that's blatantly copying someone else?

Do you consider these "cover groups" blatantly copying too? (Well, except for SNH48. I don't consider them official anymore as they broke the agreement with AKB years ago and no longer official sister group)

Any I guess you consider NMB48 singing 365 days of paperplanes a blatant copy too?

I don't really know what to say. 48 is a franchise. It's not a single band or single group. So referring to sister group as a cover group doesn't sound right. That's very disrespectful to the groups.

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I would have thought it not very Thai to want the support of a cover group who blatantly copy a Japanese one?

Copying things blatantly is part of the very essence of Thainess. Denying it's a copy follows right up, again followed by the claim it was invented in Thailand.

18 hours ago, dajacob33 said:

That's because they're the OFFICIALLY LICENSED 48's SISTER GROUP. They're licensed directly by AKB48 and are allowed to use the 48 name, songs, etc. Even Izurina (Former AKB48 member) is transferred to BNK48

I don't really know what to say. 48 is a franchise. It's not a single band or single group. So referring to sister group as a cover group doesn't sound right. That's very disrespectful to the groups.

Exactly, they are Thais performing JAPANESE music under a franchise deal. Hardly something you would have thought a PM so proud of Thainess would want to have on board a PR stunt. They are a here today gone tomorrow type of attraction, probably be forgotten by the time an election shows up.

Exactly, they are Thais performing JAPANESE music under a franchise deal. Hardly something you would have thought a PM so proud of Thainess would want to have on board a PR stunt. They are a here today gone tomorrow type of attraction, probably be forgotten by the time an election shows up.

As has been said many times by others throughout the years: Thailand is a nation of imitators, not innovators. 

It won't be a problem as long as they are popular among Thai people, especially teenagers. They just need them to start watching TV programs about their campaigns (Even for 1 episode is good enough, I guess)

In fact, having Cherprang on board is a plus. Because she's not only seen as an entertainer but also as an Education Role Model. Having received awards such as role model awards, Buddhist Ambassador awards, studies Chemistry Science, had her version of Blue Bottle Experiment published in London's The Royal Society, etc.

So having someone who's in an idol group with huge Thai fanbase and is also great at academics? At least they made a good choice.

-----

And as you guys can see that 48 is a franchise. The same applies to McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme, X Factor, Got Talent, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, etc. All of which are licensed in many countries around the world. So it's just not right to go around and say "UK KFC is a blatant copy of US KFC! No originality at all!" right? Or when you see Thailand's Got Talent and think "Wow, this show is a blatant copy of Britain's Got Talent! Shameful!". Well, that's the whole point of licensing a franchise. It should be in the same format or similar to the original. Can't stray too far.

55 minutes ago, Eligius said:

As has been said many times by others throughout the years: Thailand is a nation of imitators, not innovators. 

Not when it comes to most THAI music, but he would have a hard time recruiting anyone of stature, young naïve kids is another matter.

Archived