10 arrested for sharing content about tourist’s Koh Tao rape claim

webfact

10 arrested for sharing content about tourist’s Koh Tao rape claim

0e33929fe932c67f11b930bcd48690b2-sld.jpe

Ten Facebook users who shared content regarding a rape claim posted to the controversial FB page CSI LA90210, have been arrested for allegedly violating the Computer Act.

They are suspected of causing damages to others and libelling them.

Three others wanted on the alleged offence are still at large. One of them is identified as Pramuk Anantasin, administrator of the FB page.

Earlier reports have identified Pramuk as living in the United States operating the page from there.

The 10 now in police custody have residence in Udon Thani, Bangkok, Nakhon Ratchasima, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Pattalung and Chiang Mai.

The arrests followed the Court issuing an arrest warrant at the request of police.

Police have accused CSI LA90210, known among Thai netizens as CSI LA, of reporting false information concerning a rape claim by a 19-year-old Londoner, who alleged that she was drugged, robbed and raped during her vacation on Koh Tao island off Surat Thani province in June.

The alleged victim then filed a police complaint on nearby Koh Pangan island. It was still unclear why she did not file the complaint on Koh Tao.

She subsequently alleged that police there had refused to document the rape claim but accepted the robbery claim. Police deny that she had tried to file a rape complaint.

She then travelled back to London and informed her mother of the rape. The mother reportedly alerted UK police and handed over clothes that she claimed contained the DNA of the attackers.

When the complaint went public in UK media, Thai police set up an investigation team to probe the complaint and concluded the claimed rape had not occurred. However the FB page insisted otherwise.

Koh Tao had been infamous worldwide after two British backpackers were brutally killed in 2014. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30353796

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-05

Given that they haven't in any way interviewed the complainant yet, it seems a little premature to be calling it case closed. That person being the one who can give details they are not even aware of yet, without which it should not be possible to draw firm conclusions. Maybe they should spend some effort trying to do that before going after people who simply discussed it.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The 10 now in police custody have residence in Udon Thani, Bangkok, Nakhon Ratchasima, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Pattalung and Chiang Mai.

Impressive internet surveillance capabilities noted.

1 hour ago, Sir Dude said:

This is the future...arrested for sharing stuff on social media. Hope you are all using a VPN.

Easier just to stop posting comments on anything that contradicts or criticizes the 'party line'.

And drop FB like it's hot.

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Impressive internet surveillance capabilities noted.

Easier just to stop posting comments on anything that contradicts or criticizes the 'party line'.

And drop FB like it's hot.

As for Facebook, I'll direct you to my avatar. What you say might be for general media online (TV too)...but a VPN is the answer, at least for now. Anyone that is not using one is silly.

3 hours ago, balo said:

The CSI LA guy lives in California so I think he has dual citizenship. He will not return to Thailand, that's for sure.

Big Joke could give Interpol a call. He could make a Big Fool of himself like he has done previously.

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I think after the election and the PM remains in power, all comments on this website will be locked on all political and police stories.

Hard to say if they will begin to track us down or not.

Very naive to think they don't already have all the ip addresses, and other information. 

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I think after the election and the PM remains in power, all comments on this website will be locked on all political and police stories.

Hard to say if they will begin to track us down or not.

All Titanium members are in the book and first off the rank. Be ready for a knock on the door.

12 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

As for Facebook, I'll direct you to my avatar. What you say might be for general media online (TV too)...but a VPN is the answer, at least for now. Anyone that is not using one is silly.

I closed my Facebook account a couple of years ago, for several reasons. One of them being privacy, but also the egotism and superficial nature of the thing doesn't resonate with me

17 hours ago, futsukayoi said:

Ludicrous.  It is Big Joke and the police who should be jailed for libel.  They are accusing the girl of making false rape claims.  Even if she is they have absolutely no evidence whatsoever of that.

Jail the police for libel? Why? Can it be that you are to ignorant to understand the laws or you are really so stupid? She must provide the evidences to proof she were been raped!!! Not the police!!! And this she hasn't done (in Thailand). Even if she was raped, she destroyed all important evidences  and never reported a rape case in Thailand. What is so difficult to understand?

Do you really think the police in your home country would do more if the rape was never reported there and there is no evidence? Ask them what they would do !!! Maybe that will help you to understand how the laws work.

so what if coincidentally after reading all these paranoid comments you got one of those routine immigration inspection where a group of officers come to your house. :shock1:

i would be like holy shit! smash the hard drives! take a hammer to my phone! :cheesy:

Archived