Extension of Stay Based On Marriage at Laos?

I arrived in Thailand on a SETV and have 60 days left.... Immigration in Chon Buri does not want to let me apply to switch my tourist visa to an extension of stay for 1 year.  So I went to the Visa agent next door and they said they can make it all go away for 45,000 baht as they have connections inside. I know this is a big rip off as I have read posts on the web it can be changed

So my question is can me and my wife go to another immigration office ?  We tried one in Bangkok but they said we had to go to Chon Buri because thats my address.... or can we fly out and apply in Laos?

We have the Kor Ror 22, Letter from Embassy confirming 40,000+ a month, Marriage certificate translated etc etc

Edited by richiejom
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, richiejom said:

Thank bro... I understand now... not sure why the embassy in the UK gave me a tourist visa instead of a Non Immigrant Single Entry...the different names confuse me

You would of had to specifically apply for a non ‘O’ visa and give them a copy of your marriage certificate and your wife’s ID.

• Like 1

I arrived in Thailand on a SETV and have 60 days left.... Immigration in Chon Buri does not want to let me apply to switch my tourist visa to an extension of stay for 1 year.  So I went to the Visa agent next door and they said they can make it all go away for 45,000 baht as they have connections inside. I know this is a big rip off as I have read posts on the web it can be changed

If you did go with an agent, that is an outrageous price, even for agent-service.  25K is closer to normal for both services (initial Non-O + 1-year extension), last I was quoted on this.

So my question is can me and my wife go to another immigration office ?  We tried one in Bangkok but they said we had to go to Chon Buri because thats my address.... or can we fly out and apply in Laos?

Bangkok won't do it, and neither can another unless you appear to live in their area of service.  Bangkok say they have ordered the local offices to do it, but some will only do it for a large brown envelope (via an agent) and/or a lot of hassles.  Some move to Bangkok for a short while, just to get this done, since they offer "legit" service to everyone.  The alternative is a visit to a nearby Thai consulate.

17 minutes ago, richiejom said:

Thanks for clarifying it...its a lot to take in... right nightmare with the translations at MFA..the translator c*cked up my Age but we got married and got the Kor Ror 22

A guy managed to get the initial Non-O stamp to allow for a retirement-based extension w/o an agent recently, but it was not easy.  I get the impression they dislike us "Married to a Thai" folks in particular at that office.

I got blocked for the Non-O, then blocked again (with relish) at the marriage-desk for the one-year extension based on "landlord" docs.  We actually got the landlord-docs they wanted (landlord was not happy about these requests), but upon bringing those to the office, they hit us with wanting the landlord to fly back to Thailand, go to an amphoe-office, and get a newer-copy of a document we had already supplied.

You may be able to get the marriage-extension more easily if you own your own condo (not rent), since they cannot play that runaround on you, to force you to an agent. 

17 minutes ago, richiejom said:

Just phoned a very nice lady at 1st Class Visa Runs, she said she'd do the Laos trip for 7900 and would help us with extension based on marriage..

Disgusted at the unnamed agent that quoted me 45000 when it can be sorted for 1/4 of the price and just a trip to Laos

You don't need to pay a visa-run company for a Non-O in Laos.  It's very easy.  All you need to take is your passport, the money, your original marriage certificate and translation w/ MFA stamp (to show, you keep it), and signed-copies of your wife's ID Card and House Book.  I would take the Kor Ror 22 also.  Your wife does not need to go with.

Someone please advise if a foreign-marriage cert case requires anything else? 

I prefer a VIP overnight bus to any mini-van journey - more legroom and better seats, and I sleep most of the journey - AND it costs under 1600 baht round-trip from Bangkok Mo Chit.  You can also use a "fly / ride" service to get there for less than 1000 Baht each-way from the Bangkok airport.  This lands at the closest airport, where you transfer to a van which takes you to the border. 

If you get held-up on the 1-year extension, you can do as I did, and get a 1-year multiple-entry Non-O Visa at Savannakhet (only the single-entry is available at Vientiane).  It is 5000 Baht instead of 2000, but gives 90-day entries for a year.  I had a proof-of-income doc, but did not need it at that location.  This Visa requires one to do border-bounces, but can be stretched for almost 15 months (entering the last time, just before it expires), without ever having to deal with Chonburi immigration's marriage desk. 

If you later decide to apply for a 1-year extension, this can be done in the last 30 days permitted-stay from any entry on the Non-O ME.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richiejom said:

Is it me or does Chon Buri seem particularly harsh on marriage extensions?  they do this to people on the Ed visa as well, hassle them enough that they are forced to use the agent where they get their cut from. 

Yes, but they are reported as a breeze for retirement-based extensions.  Many using those report not even having to deal with the whole TM-30 rigamarole - while they put the screws to everyone else on that.   I hope you already managed to get this step completed, as it is a pre-requisite for all extensions other than retirement (and maybe that as well, in some cases).

I'm going to use 1st Class Visa runs to do a trip to Laos (7900) for the non O and find out how much they charge for help with the marriage extension after that...thats the part I'm worried about which is my landlords documents as he travels a lot as well

Another poster reported he could not even get a 60-day extension based on marriage at that office without "un-obtanium" landlord docs, shortly after my experience.  You may want to inquire as to what they want ASAP - but don't believe the list at the front-desk - they have a separate list of extras they give you at the "family-based extension" desk in the back.

In the "extras" category, for a rented-condo, you will need the sale-docs for your condo, the house-book for your condo, plus the id-card and personal house-book of the landlord - all signed by the landlord.  Edit: and your rental contract.  The house-books must be recent from an amphoe (in my experience - but do not know what the cut-off age is).  If in a guesthouse or serviced-apartment, I have no idea, but some have posted horror-stories on the requirements for company-owned properties.

All this, to spite the fact they will visit where you live, anyway - making all this completely pointless.

They will barely, if at all, talk to you - but tell your wife to be prepared to be treated in less than polite terms.  Good Luck - and try to keep your cool.  And remember, a 1-year Non-O Multi is always there as a backup-option.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, richiejom said:

Thanks bro I know its corruption,  thing is I have a Single Entry Tourist (3 months) now, so I don't understand the difference...hopefully I'll get some other responses

It's not corruption, it's business. You don't know the price, your problem. The agent takes his (very big) cut and pays the Imm the correct Bt 1900. Caveat Emptor, my boy.

23 hours ago, richiejom said:

Thanks bro I know its corruption,  thing is I have a Single Entry Tourist (3 months) now, so I don't understand the difference...hopefully I'll get some other responses

You need an "O" visa first before doing a mariage extension or retirement extension

Not possible with a tourist visa to do it directly.

Some Immigration bureau can do the conversion from your tourist visa to a Non -O extension for 90m day.

Or  you go to Laos like another poster wrote.

You can ask in Jomtien if they do the conversion .  In Chiangmai they do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was curious as to how i got my extension of stay based on marriage , and never needed to get a non immigrant visa for 90 days from outside thailand . My immigration officer is very good man and simply told me it can all be done by him , but is a lot of paperwork  for him. 

So as it worked out  i was able to get my extension  of stay off a 60 day tourist visa , just curious after reading on TV how you must follow the procedures  thanks for any info you may have

2 minutes ago, nakhon thai said:

So as it worked out  i was able to get my extension  of stay off a 60 day tourist visa , just curious after reading on TV how you must follow the procedures  thanks for any info you may have

What you did was actually a two step process.

First you applied for a non immigrant visa (category O) based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon marriage (same paperwork and financial proof) at immigration and then the extension of stay near the end of 90 day entry from the visa.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

What you did was actually a two step process.

First you applied for a non immigrant visa (category O) based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon marriage (same paperwork and financial proof) at immigration and then the extension of stay near the end of 90 day entry from the visa.

Ok thanks i didnt realize it could be done in thailand  , i was reading people travel to Vientiane  or savannaket , thanks for clearing that up

1 hour ago, nakhon thai said:

Ok thanks i didnt realize it could be done in thailand  , i was reading people travel to Vientiane  or savannaket , thanks for clearing that up

People go to the trouble of traveling to a consulate abroad, because, at some offices, the "lot of paperwork" for the 90-day Non-O stamp will not be done without significant hassles or roadblocks, absent an additional "incentive" (i.e."tea-money") typically provided via an agent's fee, which is approximately 10x the actual costs of the services (2000 for the Non-O stamp + 1900 for the extension).  At other offices, folks are able to get it all done without problems.

At one time, due to the unwillingness of local-offices to do it, one could go to Chang Wattana in Bangkok to get this done, where "by the book" processes are available for all services.  Agent-use there is strictly optional.  Unfortunately, getting this done in Chang Wattana currently requires becoming a Bangkok resident - at least for awhile. 

If I had it to do again, I would have rented an apartment in Bangkok for 3 months to obtain a Non-O Conversion and 1-year extension (based on marriage) - vs being denied service for both in Jomtien, to spite having every document and requirement met (and more). 

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

so is it no longer possible to get a 60 day TV converted to 90 Day type O in Bangkok ? to facilitate a 12 month extension ? or are they just trying to scam people

I remember Jomtien used to do this and then that option was removed and you had to do it in Bangkok, based on the content and comments on this thread it seems that is no longer possible either, can anyone confirm this please

Update

Ok I just read the previous post and Jack is saying this can only be done in Bangkok and you must reside in Bangkok - what on earth is that all about, why is this not available to everyone in all areas - seriously wt f

Edited by smedly

5 minutes ago, smedly said:

so is it no longer possible to get a 60 day TV converted to 90 Day type O in Bangkok ? to facilitate a 12 month extension ? or are they just trying to scam people

I remember Jomtien used to do this and then that option was removed and you had to do it in Bangkok, based on the content and comments on this thread it seems that is no longer possible either, can anyone confirm this please

It can be done at any immigration office now. That was changed last year. That is why Bangkok will not do them unless you are living there.

It can be done in Jomtien but the staff in the section that does them makes it very difficult to do.