Thailand ‘best country for people’, says travel survey

snoop1130

Thailand ‘best country for people’, says travel survey

By The Nation

56426ecdf8a18b5bc209b1efce04c331.jpeg

File photo: Koh Samui

Thais have been voted the best people in the world in an online survey by Conde Nast Traveller magazine, a leading US source of travel features.

Thailand won in the category of “Best Country for People” in the 2018 annual award.

The award honours “the best that the travel world has to offer”. Other categories include hotels, airlines, ski resorts, islands and architecture.

In addition, Thailand came third in the “Best Country” category after Italy and Greece .

Two hotels – the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok and Six Senses on Kho Yao Noi – came fourth and fifth respectively in the category of “Best Hotel in Asia and the Indian Subcontinent”. 

Meanwhile Samui island was awarded the ninth spot in the “Best Islands in the World” category, falling after Greek islands, Maldives, Balearic islands, Hawaii, St Lucia, Bali, Sicily and Mauritius.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30353802

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-9-5

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Not according to some posters on here, who used to actually live here (probably forced to leave), and now dedicate their time to slagging it off ! 

Well i live here and im happy to knock it when justified........and thats everyweek !

In my book Thailand is a great country with friendly, most helpful people I have ever met, having travelled and worked in many countries.  Now if Thailand would make the same choice regarding UK expats pensions the same as Costa Rica and the Philippines, a lot of us expats would have a lot more pension money to spend here in Thailand than having it frozen by the UK government because we chose to retire here.

Conde Nest is an upscale travel magazine read by wealthy travellers. I can fully imagine that those who fly to Phuket and ensconce themselves in a 20,000 baht a night resort far from the madding crowd, and instead surrounded by fawning staff think Thailand is heaven on earth.

In all seriousness, Thailand is an amazing country full of some amazing people. But I don't think people would disagree that if you're here on a short trip with piles of cash, the more amazing people will seem.

1 hour ago, Runamile said:

I'd sure as hell hate to meet the worst people in the world!

That may well be the French...and yes you wouldn't want to meet them!

(full disclosure: I am one of them and consider myself as a refugee in Thailand)

"Best country for people"....what the heck does that mean?  Are they talking about the natives of Thailand or the people that may visit? It's certainly the best country for corruption, scams, poor customer service, road fatalities and racism. It's also the best country to apply Murphy's Law...if anything can go wrong...it will! Nothing ever goes as anticipated....from a visit to a government office for personal business, a visit to a restaurant, a visit to the hospital...the list is endless, so one must always have a plan A, B and C or the frustration will drive one insane. Thank God for low priced chicken, pork, fruits and veggies; otherwise, there's just no good reason to live here unless one is a glutton for punishment!

29 minutes ago, newatthis said:

Pardon my unabashed ignorance. What the hell is the above word?

Note that a member gave a reward for the post you are quoting from, so he or she must know what clauseausus means...

Given the context, maybe what the poster wanted to write was Cresus, a very rich guy, in opposition to the mostly poor guys who seek shelter in Thailand because it is cheap...

Archived