Thailand ‘best country for people’, says travel survey

snoop1130

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thais have been voted the best people in the world in an online survey by Conde Nast Traveller magazine

This is an online survey. It's not a scientific poll.

For a detailed analysis I suggest Best Countries Ranking 

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/overall-full-list

Overall Ranking: #1 Switzerland; #2 Canada; #3 Germany; Thailand #27

Overall is a composite of nine factors. For example:

• Quality of Life: #1 Canada; #2 Denmark; #3 Sweden; Thailand #30
  • Adventure:        #1 Brazil; #2 Italy; #3 Spain; Thailand #4
  • Citizenship:      #1Norway; #2 Switzerland; #3 Denmark; Thailand #52
  • Heritage:           #1Italy; #2 Spain, #3  Greece; Thailand #8

I would be inclined to agree with this, as long as they are not driving or riding motorbikes, they are among the nicest, most non confrontational people you will meet.

But that is not to say all Thais who drive or ride motorbikes, are incapable while behind a wheel or handlebars, just most of them.

2 hours ago, blueontour said:

I think it's great here. Unfortunately TV is populated by whingers and failed Cleuseaus 

Maybe true up to a point, But if it was not for Thaivisa, I wonder how it would be for me today, as

I have had  tremendous help from posters here. Yes there are a very small amount of TV members who are the type you would not want to know, but the vast majority are fine.

Ridiculous.........There is hardly any real, honest and intelligent kind of journalism left. I have just been invited to join an online publication / blog with contributions

to "Travel-Highlights-TH".......Listing the 25 best attractions......A complete joke.....Elephant & Tiger-Shows, Hill-tribe-Longnecks, the beautiful bays & beaches of Koh Larn among them.... Etc. Etc.

Only people who have not seen the world could by so out of sync with reality. Pity, used to be a great country to be, no more.... MS>

There's a reason many of us are here... And contrary to the opinions of a handful of posters who can't seem to get over the idea, its not just for the women, there are a multitude of excellent reasons we stay here. 

There is an attraction to Thailand, perhaps a wildness and a freedom which we enjoy. Thailands freedoms, or rather lack of adequate policing, however, comes with risk. As a consequence its people for the most part seem to police themselves.... OK, from time to time they go off the rails and motorization on a national scale seems to be a disaster but for the most part the non-confrontational and relaxed almost childlike nature of the majority of Thai's weighs in highly on the plus side of living here. 

So I pretty much agree...  but it depends in which context we use 'best' with regards to 'best country for people'.

The ski resorts are a bit rubbish though !

4 hours ago, helloagain said:

Well i live here and im happy to knock it when justified........and thats everyweek !

So do I.. but it's becoming more like daily occurrence as the years pass!

However I'm happy with the status quo and remain here quite content with my life

I'm sure there are other better countries/locations for people to visit... 

think this is a bit of self-promotion

4 hours ago, Thaimike370 said:

In my book Thailand is a great country with friendly, most helpful people I have ever met, having travelled and worked in many countries.  Now if Thailand would make the same choice regarding UK expats pensions the same as Costa Rica and the Philippines, a lot of us expats would have a lot more pension money to spend here in Thailand than having it frozen by the UK government because we chose to retire here.

I live life on life's terms. If I disagree with how my country treats me as an expat, I post in the media based in my home country; contact the lawmakers in my home country or post in forums based in my home country.

Nothing changes throwing a bucket of water into the wind, when the fire is upwind.

3 hours ago, Katipo said:

Conde Nest is an upscale travel magazine read by wealthy travellers. I can fully imagine that those who fly to Phuket and ensconce themselves in a 20,000 baht a night resort far from the madding crowd, and instead surrounded by fawning staff think Thailand is heaven on earth.

In all seriousness, Thailand is an amazing country full of some amazing people. But I don't think people would disagree that if you're here on a short trip with piles of cash, the more amazing people will seem.

Reminds me of a similar survey done at Koh Samui back in the 1990s. They surveyed all these tourists staying at luxury resorts on the beaches that had Swiss managers and French F&B managers and Italian chefs, and they dined on the beach in the  evening having Filet Mignon with chilled Australian wine. They all said they adored their Thailand holidays - when they were sitting around the pool at their beach-side resorts...but they didn't like it when they went out the back end of the resort out to the road where there was traffic and noisy Thais and they we're falling into holes and getting dogshit on their shoes.

4 hours ago, helloagain said:

Well i live here and im happy to knock it when justified........and thats everyweek !

I think many here would then classify you as a Thai basher or Thai hater.      I guess you're just supposed to "suck it up".

How dare you speak your mind.

Friendliness is by far the norm, esp. in non-tourist areas.

But, as with everything else, there are always exceptions.

Last month we had a Thai employee so obnoxious for our entire stay in that we called her Hitler because she would not tell us her real name. In that same time a wonderfully friendly woman even brought us a piece of ice-cream cake on her child's birthday!

We have met very few grumpy or obnoxious people in Thailand; Indeed less in all our years here than in one week back to where the family live.

Every time I go through posts with opinions of Thailand, there are overwhelming responses telling me how absolutely terrible it is to choose Thailand as a country of choice to reside in. I have put off taking up employment on offer for the past 3 years. As soon as I get lulled into being convinced that it is the right thing to do , and I read through Thaivisa posts, I end up declining the offer. I am not unfamiliar with Thailand as I am a regular visitor and is descendent from Southern Thailand, I have a fair command of the language, and a sizeable social support structure. However each time I read through posts and comments about Thailand and her people, I change my mind. I'm terrified of the prospects of what happens when you are an expat and the numerous challenges and  unpleasantries encountered by numerous expats. The negatives just seems so overwhelming. I was hoping to find some direction through posts on Thaivisa from those who have and does experience the country first hand....and I am as uncertain as I was when I started out trying to find information and guidance on a life altering decision. To assist myself I decided that after this post if I get a minimum of 10 people telling me what a terrible life they have and/ or had in Thailand my decision will be deduced from there. Maybe dynamics would be different for me cause I am not male, neither am I white and I am not of pensionable age looking for a partner less than half my age and do have readily gainful executive post awaiting me. So maybe I will not be as miserable as most of the characters who post on Thaivisa. I'm still not sure though.

5 hours ago, Thaimike370 said:

In my book Thailand is a great country with friendly, most helpful people I have ever met, having travelled and worked in many countries.  Now if Thailand would make the same choice regarding UK expats pensions the same as Costa Rica and the Philippines, a lot of us expats would have a lot more pension money to spend here in Thailand than having it frozen by the UK government because we chose to retire here.

why have they frozen your funds because you choose to retire in Thailand??

20 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Not according to some posters on here, who used to actually live here (probably forced to leave), and now dedicate their time to slagging it off ! 

Having lived in Thailand I left (my choice) because I felt I would be able to give my two children a better start in life if they went to an English school and we love it here. We did visit Thailand to see family but the children did not like it they have asked if we can go to our house in Spain next summer I too did not enjoy it much. So tell me are you one of the people living in Thailand because you have burnt you bridges and are not able to return to your home country or cant you afford the overstay fine. 

44 minutes ago, Jackin1960 said:

Having lived in Thailand I left (my choice) because I felt I would be able to give my two children a better start in life if they went to an English school and we love it here. 

I'd rather try my luck in North Korea !

Kim's haircut is no better than Boris' hairwhatever, but at least you don't have to eat porridge at every meal because all the knives have been confiscated!

11 hours ago, dotpoom said:

"Thais have been voted the best people in the world".

"Thailand won in the category of “Best Country for People”.

Those two statements are not one and the same...They are two different things?

Maybe not. But it's the  Thais who make Thailand so wonderful. Always smiling, friendly and amazingly helpful. My Thai friends are the best of any nationality.

11 hours ago, Runamile said:

I'd sure as hell hate to meet the worst people in the world!

They are the old miserable expats that bitch daily on TVF about Thailand and and Thai people. Yet they cannot or will not leave their place of misery.  IMO wherever they are in the world is miserable because they bring their misery with them and misery is their comfort zone.  

Too bad they love to talk about it many times a day on TFV on many different topics. ? But they have been here for X years so no use disagreeing with them about their Thailand “expertise.”  Sad really that anyone would live their last days more comfortable with their favorite emotions misery, arrogance and despair and miss out on a brief existence living in a wonderful place. 

Archived