Possible to get real baguettes or other quality crusty daily baked bread in CM?

JimmyJ

I feel personally that Nana Bakery has gone downhill. Their bread used to be crusty and full of flavour, now I find it soft and mostly tasteless.

For "proper" French style bread, "L Opera",  opposite Anantara Hotel, French owner, bakes himself personally every day, and also sells lots of nice French style patisseries/ cakes etc.

Go in the morning as most of his bread sells out by lunchtime.

27 minutes ago, silverhawk_usa said:

I saw a rather small, interesting, fresh bakery near the UN Irish Pub (same side of the road nearer the moat).  Didn't give it a try but you might want to check it out. 

The UN had/still have their own little bakery shop literally next door.

Always sticks in the memory as their door and step arrangement caused me to enter the shop head first to the sound of laughter.

Vowed never to go back until I took out some health insurance

Our local Big C bakes them to order in 20 minutes and they are the best baguettes I have ever had from anywhere. Crusty on the outside but soft and warm on the inside.

Not sure if every Big C does them though as only ever seen them here.

15 minutes ago, Denim said:

Our local Big C bakes them to order in 20 minutes and they are the best baguettes I have ever had from anywhere. Crusty on the outside but soft and warm on the inside.

Not sure if every Big C does them though as only ever seen them here.

Our local big C (Banphai) makes good baguettes, off there later today to get some.

The only real french bread anywhere here is at L'Opera. It is the same as you would get in France. The baker is French. He bakes hundreds each day. We stock up each week from L'Opera. We have tried everywhere mentioned over the years and prior to L'Opera the best baguettes where from Crusty Bread Bakery which moved around for a while before disappearing.

5 hours ago, elektrified said:

The only real french bread anywhere here is at L'Opera. It is the same as you would get in France. The baker is French. He bakes hundreds each day. We stock up each week from L'Opera. We have tried everywhere mentioned over the years and prior to L'Opera the best baguettes where from Crusty Bread Bakery which moved around for a while before disappearing.

In that case I am going to try my luck at selling Yorkshire puddings.

I mean if they are made by a Yorkshireman, they are bound to be the genuine article, the best infact?

Somehow I think that logic just isn't true. 

20 hours ago, EL159 said:

Dull and crap compared to 2 years ago. L Opera is the only place in town.

To each his own, but last time I was in Chiang Mai, which was a couple of months ago, I had Nana Bakery's sourdough walnut bread and it was fantastic.  So good I lugged a couple loaves all the way back to Bangkok.

http://www.nana-bakery-chiang-mai.com/our-breads.html

Archived