Hillside bus plunge injures 19 in Prae

rooster59

Hillside bus plunge injures 19 in Prae

By The Nation

An air-conditioned bus from Bangkok lost control and plunged down a hillside from a Prae road late on Friday night, injuring 19 passengers, police said.

Police said the accident happened at 10.40pm on the highway No 103 in Prae’s Song district.

The Mae Sai-Bangkok bus with 32 passenger was upside down after the plunge.

The 19 injured passengers were rushed to Song Hospital.

The bus driver, Somnuek Pummok, 52, said he had left Mae Sai heading to Bangkok and lost control of the vehicle on the road downhill.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30354013

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-08

20 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

An air-conditioned bus from Bangkok lost control

Driver possibly stiff from the cold  in the bus and couldn't react in time. These air-cons are often on full blast, hence they deliver blankets to the passengers (not sure about the driver).

I cannot understand why they choose the road over Phrae - Phitsanulok when they can go HW 1 with 4 lane all the way to Bangkok.

OK, it is 38 km longer, according to Google Maps it takes 14 minutes longer but I think the passengers would be much more happy with HW 1.  

2 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I'd look to the bus company to find out about such things as work rules, adherence to schedules and etc.

yes all that stuff the Gov. says they have to do, ha ha never happen, no checks and balances in this fine land

23 hours ago, XJ650 said:

I cannot understand why they choose the road over Phrae - Phitsanulok when they can go HW 1 with 4 lane all the way to Bangkok.

OK, it is 38 km longer, according to Google Maps it takes 14 minutes longer but I think the passengers would be much more happy with HW 1.  

Most of the long distance buses heading south from Chiang Rai, Mae Sai, Chiang Saen and Chiang Khong etc. use this route as it saves on fuel. They travel on route 1 to Ngao and then turn left onto this narrow road through the hills to Den Chai, Uttaradit and Phitsanulok. I have traveled this route many times.

Cause of accident - speeding and/or faulty brakes??

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

And your suggestion is what?     Should the powers that be simply ignore the matter and  let the senseless dying continue.

Seems to be what they are doing. I don't think for one minute that I can solve their problems, I'm just an observer.

7 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Most of the long distance buses heading south from Chiang Rai, Mae Sai, Chiang Saen and Chiang Khong etc. use this route as it saves on fuel. They travel on route 1 to Ngao and then turn left onto this narrow road through the hills to Den Chai, Uttaradit and Phitsanulok. I have traveled this route many times.

Cause of accident - speeding and/or faulty brakes??

I have also travelled that route over the past 30 years.  I have met busses coming down those hills so fast they take up all 3 lanes and still flash their lights at you.  Add a wet road into the mix....... 

14 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Seems to be what they are doing. I don't think for one minute that I can solve their problems, I'm just an observer.

I get that.    We are all merely observers from beginning to end.     I was actually addressing what I considered a flippant comment  to a sincere post.

Trust me I don't tink too mut!     And I have've been on a bus for 7 years and I don't  plan to be on  a bus or van in the future.   

Good luck to you.

Archived