Thailand still a destination of choice for money conscious expats

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Quite a few of them, thought of changing to the ceiling cassette types? They got more BTU/unit and are more quiet.

i have three ceiling units in areas installed where they serve special purposes. in other areas (high rooms) ceiling units are a waste of energy because they suck the hottest air which should be left "undisturbed". wall mounted units are available with the same capacity as ceiling units but not vice versa as there are no ceiling units with 9,000 btu/h nominal capacity.

other disadvantages:

-2 maximum 3 different fan speeds as opposed to the 6-speed wall mounted units (that's the reason they are more quiet),

-difficult to clean (not the filter but intensive cleaning of whole unit),

and last not least

-double the price.

of course it goes without saying that ceiling units beat wall mounted units, seen from an aesthetical perspective, hands down.

Utility cost comparisons always end up in a pissing contest, or you end up being trolled.

I was/am an aircon junkie when I'm in Thailand, I'm not gonna live with a couple of patlom's circulating the already hot and humid air.

So, my utility bills never dropped below ฿5000 a month, and could often be more.

I can compare that to my US bills when even in the depths of winter I pay ~$70 for electric and ~$120 for gas.

So it depends on how you want to live, where and a whole bunch of factors.

But each to their own, we all live our lives how we want, for better or worse
Are you aware that aircon is not good for your health and makes you even more sweating when you're outside.
Maybe you should try to adjust to the warm temperatures.
Even in my apartment in downtown Bangkok I rarely use the aircon except a few days during daytimd in the hot season.
Many Thai people not have aircon at home yet they not died yet...

4 minutes ago, CLW said:

Are you aware that aircon is not good for your health and makes you even more sweating when you're outside.
Even in my apartment in downtown Bangkok I rarely use the aircon except a few days during daytimd in the hot season.

Do they have AirCon in all decent hospitals?

23 hours ago, sitti said:

What the heck are you talking about. I wasn't talking about a rent. I was talking utility costs. For example, currently I'm paying on average 20,000 baht per month for electricity alone in Bangkok. Back in California, I was paying around $250~300 per month. That is the cost of maintaining the same level of our lifestyle in Thailand.

I already addressed all of this. Minimum wage here is 200 dollars a month. Minimum eage in CA is aboit 2000 dollars a month. No sane person on earth can deduce from that the 2000 dollar a month location is "cheaper". The 200 dollar a month wage location is going to necessarily have cheaper options the 2000 location wont. 

There is no arguing or discussing this. You are just telling us about your lifestyle, which keans nothing. I could spend more money living in a rat hole gutter in mexico if i wanted to; that does not tell people anything though. The only thing that matters is people have cheaper OPTIONS for living here that necessarily cannot exist to the same extent in the states. Your position would be like going to a restaurant with food ranging from 10-200 dollars a plate and saying it is more expensive than a restaurant with plates 75-200 dollars per plate. Wrong, just hecause you want to order more at the cheaper restaurant does not mean anything or add to the discussion at all... that is just your own personal spending habits, which are not relevant. 

19 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

The only thing that matters is people have cheaper OPTIONS for living here that necessarily cannot exist to the same extent in the states.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't possibly live without 4 bottles of imported French wine and a kilo of Gruyere every day.

These are absolute essentials to decent living.

22 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

I already addressed all of this. Minimum wage here is 200 dollars a month. Minimum eage in CA is aboit 2000 dollars a month. No sane person on earth can deduce from that the 2000 dollar a month location is "cheaper". The 200 dollar a month wage location is going to necessarily have cheaper options the 2000 location wont. 

There is no arguing or discussing this. You are just telling us about your lifestyle, which keans nothing. I could spend more money living in a rat hole gutter in mexico if i wanted to; that does not tell people anything though. The only thing that matters is people have cheaper OPTIONS for living here that necessarily cannot exist to the same extent in the states. Your position would be like going to a restaurant with food ranging from 10-200 dollars a plate and saying it is more expensive than a restaurant with plates 75-200 dollars per plate. Wrong, just because you want to order more at the cheaper restaurant does not mean anything or add to the discussion at all... that is just your own personal spending habits, which are not relevant. 

You make so much sense.  Owning a house is lifestyle.  A million in the bank is lifestyle. 10 ac units is lifestyle.  Water cost per kl is comparison.  Water usage is lifestyle. 

4 hours ago, CLW said:
4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Yes they have. Because they treat sick people which might suffer under hot temperatures.

When I suffer under hot temperature I do not go to a hospital for treatment ? Entering a shop might be a more cheap solution.

Sometimes life can become pretty complicated. For example, a tracheotomy and an AirCon does not seem to be a healthy combination, especially in a room which has already collected too many dust particles (from visitors). A little bit of suffering under hot temperatures might be one of the options left.

4 hours ago, CLW said:
4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Yes they have. Because they treat sick people which might suffer under hot temperatures.

You wrote, " Are you aware that aircon is not good for your health" which is patently nonsense as all hospitals have ac.  

6 minutes ago, jacnl2000 said:

When I suffer under hot temperature I do not go to a hospital for treatment ? Entering a shop might be a more cheap solution.

Sometimes life can become pretty complicated. For example, a tracheotomy and an AirCon does not seem to be a healthy combination, especially in a room which has already collected too many dust particles (from visitors). A little bit of suffering under hot temperatures might be one of the options left.

A tracheotomy would be done in an air conditioned operating room.  Don't be silly. 

5 hours ago, CLW said:

It's bad for the sinuses if the airflow is straight up your nose when sleeping for sure.

In the beginning I was just like any nOOb, trying to assimilate and all that, and got acclimated. After a few years I then decided that playing jungle rambo ain't going to make me a native so I turned the ACs on. Not cold, but they do dehumidify the air.

Next time I'll choose an arid climate, maybe I can go native there with a swamp cooler or something. Until then I'm just going to go full on colonial master farang for the rest of the time I still need to spend in Thailand. Ain't going to be cheap for sure but I'm done with somchaing.

13 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

It's bad for the sinuses if the airflow is straight up your nose when sleeping for sure.

In the beginning I was just like any nOOb, trying to assimilate and all that, and got acclimated. After a few years I then decided that playing jungle rambo ain't going to make me a native so I turned the ACs on. Not cold, but they do dehumidify the air.

Next time I'll choose an arid climate, maybe I can go native there with a swamp cooler or something. Until then I'm just going to go full on colonial master farang for the rest of the time I still need to spend in Thailand. Ain't going to be cheap for sure but I'm done with somchaing.

Air conditioning system is certain to bring about a host of benefits for hospital patients and staff: accelerating recovery, reducing the risk of complications, improving staff performance and generally making the hospital a more pleasant place to stay. Each of these benefits will have knock-on effects on the finances of the hospital, ensuring that patients are discharged more quickly and that the strain on the workforce is lessened.

https://www.allseasonsclimatecontrol.co.uk/news/2016-10-19/the-importance-of-air-conditioning-in-hospitals/

Don't worry about it.  Ac is good for you.  The proof is in the pudding and all hospitals have AC. 

You wrote, " Are you aware that aircon is not good for your health" which is patently nonsense as all hospitals have ac.  
Yes. And I gave the reason in my second sentence.
Do you have a clinical condition that requires air conditioning?

16 hours ago, CLW said:

many more non-Thai people live and work in airconditioned environments since decades and none of them died because of this... except those who fell asleep in a freezer room. :smile:

11 hours ago, CLW said:
11 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Yes. And I gave the reason in my second sentence.
Do you have a clinical condition that requires air conditioning?

i'd suffer a severe clinical condition without airconditioning. my wife would make sure of that. :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived