Thailand still a destination of choice for money conscious expats

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think learning the local language is expected of many foreigners staying anywhere on a 90 day permit (or less).

I live here and i do not learn any thai. I know how to say like two things. Thank you and mai owe nang krap, which is how i order my chicken. Thats all i need. lol

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am not very well english,but i can tell you thailand is not cheap anymore if you like good food and wine and a good health care insurance. 60  years old and more cost you  around 10,000 baht a month for 4,000,000 insurance coverage for a good one in and out patient,wine 3 bottle a week,9000 a month,not the crap one,food montly 1 person  who like beef and cheese and sausage and other good food and 1 or 2 good restaurant a week,at least 12 to 15,000 baht a month.Only for that food wine and health care it cost around 33,000 already,a rented house 15,000 at minimum70,000  is a minimum for a good life here alone,more if you take care somebody or a familySure you can live here with 45,000 a month without many good thing in your life.

16 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Why couldn't you make it better in Thailand?

Oh pullleeezeee,  making it is more like making it in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Singapore or Tokyo.  Why would one bother ?

Unlike Thailand, skilled expats are hired with greater regularity and with less fanfare. 

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

The big similarity between Philippines and Thailand is the Thai women want to stay in Thailand and so do Philippine women.

Since my wife and all her family live in Thailand are you saying they are Chavs?  Or me?  I don't drink, smoke or live in the UK?

I'm saying that the quality of tourists visiting Thailand is low in terms of the way they look, speak, spend and behave. Likewise the Philippines. This was not the case 40 years ago.

8 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

I worked for a hotel chain in Thailand, the first thing I did was to go to school to learn the language. The MD who circa 1995 had been in Thailand 25 years, couldn't speak any Thai.

Believe me, I know from personal experience. The people that live here for long lengths of time and know no thai do not likr talking to people. They may like oogling women and eating 200 dollar meals for 50 bucks... but they do not likr talkimg to other people. This is like heaven to them, haha.

7 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Believe me, I know from personal experience. The people that live here for long lengths of time and know no thai do not likr talking to people. They may like oogling women and eating 200 dollar meals for 50 bucks... but they do not likr talkimg to other people. This is like heaven to them, haha.

Part of the fun for me was talking to Thai people and they were often really surprised when you asked where they were from and about their family.

Now when I go to BKK I rarely speak Thai unless it's absolutely necessary. Where once people smiled at you when you spoke Thai, now most often they scowl.

The world is a changing place and not for the better IMO. I'm glad I'm on the back nine.

Learning the language was a waste of time. Any one I'd want to converse with can speak English. Only proper use I know is trying to get laid cheap with the sideline students. 

Better learn mandarin, they'll be obliged to speak it in a few years anyway.

3 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

Part of the fun for me was talking to Thai people and they were often really surprised when you asked where they were from and about their family.

Now when I go to BKK I rarely speak Thai unless it's absolutely necessary. Where once people smiled at you when you spoke Thai, now most often they scowl.

The world is a changing place and not for the better IMO. I'm glad I'm on the back nine.

You can pay 800 baht at my hospital for an interpreter or speak Thai.  I speak Thai every day.  I think you are behind the times. Or out of time.  Something.  But not reflective of reality.

Just now, DrTuner said:

Learning the language was a waste of time. Any one I'd want to converse with can speak English. Only proper use I know is trying to get laid cheap with the sideline students. 

You must be restricted then as the standard of English in Thailand is terrible. That said I met some really interesting people who didn't speak English, country folk around Korat on my long bike rides.

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

God forbid you end up in the hospital with a life threatening condition.  Happened to me a couple of weeks ago.  Glad I spoke Thai. 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

You can pay 800 baht at my hospital for an interpreter or speak Thai.  I speak Thai every day.  I think you are behind the times. Or out of time.  Something.  But not reflective of reality. 

But not reflective of reality - amazing how people like you think you can see inside my head ?.

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Cambodia turns out lots of Mandarin speakers every year, and English is embraced too.  Many from Loas can speak too.  Yangoon has a large Mandarin population as does the Thai border region in the far south.   Bhasa will be second to Mandarin.  Thai will not even be in the second tier. 

1 minute ago, freebyrd said:

But not reflective of reality - amazing how people like you think you can see inside my head ?.

You wrote, "Now when I go to BKK I rarely speak Thai unless it's absolutely necessary. Where once people smiled at you when you spoke Thai, now most often they scowl."

Simply not true.  Nothing to do with the inside of your head. 

God forbid you end up in the hospital with a life threatening condition.  Happened to me a couple of weeks ago.  Glad I spoke Thai. 

I do speak basic Thai. That's how I know it's not worth the trouble. Somchais you can drink laukhao with and speak ancient Urdu and all will be good, nobody cares.

Educated people who are even moderately interesting can speak English. That's how they learned their capability to hold a conversation beyond the kinkhaoyaang.

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I still speak Thai to a high standard but wouldn't profess to be fluent - are you? i wouldn't want to be in a life threatening situation using a second language. The best foreign Thai speaker I ever met lost 4 fingers at work because of a misunderstanding.

You wrote, "Now when I go to BKK I rarely speak Thai unless it's absolutely necessary. Where once people smiled at you when you spoke Thai, now most often they scowl."

Simply not true.  Nothing to do with the inside of your head. 

You arrogance is astounding! How can you tell me things I experience first hand are not true? How long have you been in TL, I'm curious as it may explain the second sight you seem to have.

Just now, DrTuner said:

I do speak basic Thai. That's how I know it's not worth the trouble. Somchais you can drink laukhao with and speak ancient Urdu and all will be good, nobody cares.

Educated people who are even moderately interesting can speak English. That's how they learned their capability to hold a conversation beyond the kinkhaoyaang.

Nonsense.  I taught Thai doctors how to converse in colloquial English for ease of communication when they were hired at the expensive international hospital.  They were all interesting people especially the lady endocrinologist.   You are just a anti person with little familiarity with Thailand. 

Archived