Thailand still a destination of choice for money conscious expats

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

I am continuously amazed at the attitudes I see displayed here in the forum vis-a-vis cost of living in Thailand. As many people have correctly pointed out, it's all about what standard of living you require. European/American standard of living costs about as much as it does in Europe or America. But why on earth would you want to live like that in Thailand? What's the point of being here? Just the weather, great food, and sex? That's pathetic. ?

I live in Maenam, Koh Samui. Big Chinese-style Thai house in Chinatown, 100m from the ocean, 7500 baht/month with a 5-year lease. I have to try to spend my ~$1,000/month pension. No need to pull from savings. I eat out every single meal. I have a background in the restaurant world, so I know food and insist upon eating good food, not the cheapest garbage I can find. I have a Thai girlfriend who has a good job and does not ask me for money. I've heard that's odd. Lucky me. As someone else pointed out, beer is far more suitable for the food and the climate than wine.

I come from Palm Beach, Florida, plastic-ville. I have a very good idea of what good living is all about. If I wanted to live like that, I'd have stayed there. I moved here from Lagos, Portugal. If I wanted to have that quality/standard of living, I'd have stayed there. But as good as Portugal can be, and Lagos is the best that Portugal has to offer, it's nowhere near as nice in so many respects as Thailand. The best part of living in Thailand is living in Thailand. We used to bitch in Florida about the northerners coming down from New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and screwing up our nice, laid-back Florida way of life by importing their bullshit northern ways that they were trying to escape from.

If your whole purpose in being here is to live as cheaply as possible because that's what you can afford, I feel for you. It's definitely getting more expensive, but still very affordable at a decent standard of living on US$1,000/month (30,000 baht). Cambodia is a s***hole. You couldn't pay me to live there. Their food doesn't hold a candle to Thai food. Haven't been to Vietnam yet, but many people that I talk to are telling me how expensive it, too, is becoming.

Life's a beach...?

I come from Palm Beach, Florida, plastic-ville. I have a very good idea of what good living is all about. If I wanted to live like that, I'd have stayed there.

Grew up in Boca. Good living on US$1000 in Palm Beach, dream on ! You cant rent a single-wide trailer for that.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I believe a Cambodian 1 year retirement visa is 9900 baht as opposed to Thailand 1900 baht and requires an agent where the Thai visa is self serve. 

Even though I am over the age to be eligible for a retirement visa, some of us don't need them.

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

No it's not.  Learning Thai is the single best way of integrating into Thai culture and to suggest that it is counterproductive is beyond wrong - it's just mean and vindictive.

As I said, several posts ago, I do speak Thai. - and I did fully integrate when I lived there.

10 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

I come from Palm Beach, Florida, plastic-ville. I have a very good idea of what good living is all about. If I wanted to live like that, I'd have stayed there.

Grew up in Boca. Good living on US$1000 in Palm Beach, dream on ! You cant rent a single-wide trailer for that.

$850 Room to rent with private bathroom (Acreage)

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map)

available sep 10

house
laundry on site
no smoking
attached garage
no private bath
private room

Have an extra bedroom in my three bedroom home with separate bathroom. Must have a job, transportation. Want a respectable, responsible person. No smoking, drugs, alcohol or pets. I have two dogs, work 6+ days a week. I keep to myself and very rarely have people over. Would prefer someone that doesn't have the need to constantly have people over.

19 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You also said Thai people did not like expats speaking Thai and that is mean as well as wrong and hurtful.

And in my personal experience they don't. Just because you think it's wrong that doesn't make it fact. How many times do I have to say it?! It's my opinion and why would it be mean and hurtful to you? With all your decades of experience of life, are you really that thin skinned?

9 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Since rent/buy housing is the largest percent of living expenses if you compare apples to apples you are not correct.  Cost of renting a new house in nice neighborhood furnished $180 a month.  So see?  Wrong eh?  Of course if you own property in the West it is cheaper duh? But that is not comparing apples to apples.  If your x wife got the property in West and you are trying to replace wife and home Thailand is quite a bit less expensive.  Add up cost of renting (not buying) a slightly used go go dancer and slightly used house  in the West as opposed to Thailand and not even close. 

You may know different people than I do but most are single men retiring who want to take advantage of the weather, rent of home and companionship and lack of taxes.  Thailand wins hands down unless you try and skew the survey. 

I can make any place look cheap or expensive given the control of the items compared.  But my demographic single active man retiring Thailand wins.

wrong, wrong and wrong

There are many houses all over Thailand that compete with and are even more expensive that the USA for example.

Read the ads posted here.

Second you can rent a house cheap in Thailand. You can rent a cheap house in the backwoods of West Virginia to (Think Deliverance!). 

If your X wife got everything, you forced yourself to move to Thailand because you can no longer afford western prices on your retirement

When you rent someone else's property, no matter how cheap it is, you DO NOT OWN ANYTHING! Got it? You made it to retirement and you don't have a pot to piss in to call your own.

You are over there just surviving, nothing more

You could probably replace a wife and home even cheaper in many parts of Africa.

The weather again, with temps well over 100F and 6 months of monsoon rain. Do you ever venture outside?

I am still amazed really at the low cost of housing here.

Particularly in Pattaya.  Surveys still have Thailand in the top 10 for low housing costs in the world.

But, I guess some do not get it.

I have been shopping around for rentals, but am so surprised by the sales prices.

Places in Pratumnak for 1,000,000 b so about 30,000 US dollars for a condo??

Wow, that is pretty fantastic.

Was in Chiang Mai recently nice houses( not track but custom homes) close to the city for $50,000 US.

Just saying, as much that some think it it so expensive here, think outside the box.

Thailand is still a non 3rd world place that one can live a very good life for an excellent price.

But, I guess if some hate it they always will.

28 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

And in my personal experience they don't. Just because you think it's wrong that doesn't make it fact. How many times do I have to say it?! It's my opinion and why would it be mean and hurtful to you? With all your decades of experience of life, are you really that thin skinned?

It might be your experience that you can walk on water.  Makes as much sense as Thai people not wanting an expat to learn Thai.  Get it?  It might be mean to try and convince others to try walking on water. 

Doesn't bother me.  There is one born every day.  I'm just trying to give rationality a voice. 

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

1.  Housing is the largest category of expenses by far.  2. Last change in Visa that effected retired men (majority of expats) was a quarter of a century ago.  I spend 5 minutes a year at immigration.  Maybe you should hire me as a consultant?  Malaysia, now there's a place especially for those who like watching lesbians get caned. I'm not into stuff like that.  I spent a couple of years in Vietnam and that was enough. 

Complete BS and I am sure everyone here would agree.

No one spends 5 minutes a year at immigration; no one!

Thai officials cannot do anything in 5 minutes other than give you a sideways glance

Stop making up stories or else get yourself on video with a stop watch to prove you spend 5 minutes a year at immigration

2 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

I just honestly can't believe there are people who maintain it is not cheaper here in Thailand. I suppose if you need imported cheese and wine everyday it is. That is just not how i do things i suppose.

I am trying to be open minded here but i would honestly have a hard time spending more a month here than back in the US...

My car costs (insurance, repairs, gas and the cost of the vehicle) are 100% gone because their transport. 

My grocery bill is a joke, but i eat thai food. Khao man gai is 30 baht. I mean cmon, seriously? 

Rent. Idk, how can you guys even compare it? I suppose if you lived deep in tha mississippi bayou or something. Otherwise it is like a five to one prosect as far as i can tell.... 1500 in the usa turns to 300 a month here. Plus if you own there is no property tax and the annual fees in condos are like 500 bucks lol. 

Going to the doctor. Another joke. Can't even compare costs, as much as 5 or 10 to one. 

The list could go on. Idk what you guys are doing. My monthly "nut" as we used to call it is so small here i almost laugh at it. I can make that much standing on my head. In the states i am working 9 to 5 and taking wknd shifts and just paying my bills, until someone goes to the hospital then i am screwed. 

Rant over. I am open minded and nonjudgemental, i just dont know how you guys do it. I would havemto try so hard to spend as much here as i do stateside.

You use to own a car, your own car. Now you depend on public transportation. Are new cars cheaper in Thailand than the USA, no they are not. You traded ownership for nothing, of course it will be cheaper.

Did you eat Khao Man Gai in the USA? Of course you did not. How much is a nice stake at Sizzler in Thailand?

Any location can be cheap and survivable however you are just not living the same. You are surviving only on what you can afford. Period.

No house, no car, no nothing. Have any children? Hope not because you won't have anything to leave them when you pass.

Of course it is not the same. 

You could live in a shack in West Virginia the same as Isaan. But you can't compare Palm Beach with Isaan either.

I hear Africa is even cheaper?

15 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

wrong, wrong and wrong

There are many houses all over Thailand that compete with and are even more expensive that the USA for example.

Read the ads posted here.

Second you can rent a house cheap in Thailand. You can rent a cheap house in the backwoods of West Virginia to (Think Deliverance!). 

If your X wife got everything, you forced yourself to move to Thailand because you can no longer afford western prices on your retirement

When you rent someone else's property, no matter how cheap it is, you DO NOT OWN ANYTHING! Got it? You made it to retirement and you don't have a pot to piss in to call your own.

You are over there just surviving, nothing more

You could probably replace a wife and home even cheaper in many parts of Africa.

The weather again, with temps well over 100F and 6 months of monsoon rain. Do you ever venture outside?

1.  Average mean temp CM 68F  2.  Housing average nice house $350 per month.  3.  Why would an old guy want to buy a  house?  I sold my home in USA when I retired here and use the cash interest from the sale.  My Thai wife is buying a new home where we live and I help pay for it. So she will have it when I die.  4.  Thailand was always my ace in the hole that none of my American wives knew about.  Nuff said about that.  In the States I dodged 6 hurricanes and 3 x wives here I'm not dodging anything and live a life most 20 year olds only dream about.  If I was living in the States I might have done a reverse mortgage (lots of old folks do) instead I sold my property and put the cash in international investments.

2-bedroom-house-for-rent-in-east-pattaya-chonburi.jpg

15 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Complete BS and I am sure everyone here would agree.

No one spends 5 minutes a year at immigration; no one!

Thai officials cannot do anything in 5 minutes other than give you a sideways glance

Stop making up stories or else get yourself on video with a stop watch to prove you spend 5 minutes a year at immigration

I spent 5 minutes last year at Immigration.  My secretary does my 90 day reports and I got number 1 in line at my Immigration office for my extension (I use the cash in bank method).  The guy behind me spent 10 minutes.  I'm not unusual.  Many spend less time than that ask that guy with the Klingon avatar. 

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You can pay 800 baht at my hospital for an interpreter or speak Thai.  I speak Thai every day.  I think you are behind the times. Or out of time.  Something.  But not reflective of reality.

At my former private hospital all the nurses and doctors spoke English.

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

God forbid you end up in the hospital with a life threatening condition.  Happened to me a couple of weeks ago.  Glad I spoke Thai. 

Yes and you understood all the medical terminology in Thai right? ROTFL

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Cambodia turns out lots of Mandarin speakers every year, and English is embraced too.  Many from Loas can speak too.  Yangoon has a large Mandarin population as does the Thai border region in the far south.   Bhasa will be second to Mandarin.  Thai will not even be in the second tier. 

Outside of Thailand, Thai is a completely useless language. Now that is a fact. 

There will never ever be a need for anyone outside of Thailand to ever learn Thai.

23 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

It might be your experience that you can walk on water.  Makes as much sense as Thai people not wanting an expat to learn Thai.  Get it?  It might be mean to try and convince others to try walking on water. 

Doesn't bother me.  There is one born every day.  I'm just trying to give rationality a voice. 

When did I say I could walk on water? Now you are putting words in my mouth. You come across as rather boring and not very rational at all. Just because you're older it doesn't mean you know everything. You will no doubt reply again and again and keep droning on, but enough from me.

2 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

When did I say I could walk on water? Now you are putting words in my mouth. You come across as rather boring and not very rational at all. Just because you're older it doesn't mean you know everything. You will no doubt reply again and again and keep droning on, but enough from me.

You wrote, " And in my personal experience they don't (like expats speaking Thai). Just because you think it's wrong that doesn't make it fact."  

That makes as much sense as you saying "it is my personal experience that I can walk on water." IMHO.

5 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Outside of Thailand, Thai is a completely useless language. Now that is a fact. 

There will never ever be a need for anyone outside of Thailand to ever learn Thai.

bwpage 3, don't get into it with this guy, he thinks he has the definitive answer to everything and is smarter than everyone else. In 11 years on TVF I've crossed path with some morons but none like this guy.

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You wrote, " And in my personal experience they don't (like expats speaking Thai). Just because you think it's wrong that doesn't make it fact."  

That makes as much sense as you saying "it is my personal experience that I can walk on water." IMHO.

I didn't say it you senile person. BTW, I don't think there is anything remotely humble about you.

13 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

I didn't say it you senile thing. BTW, don't think there is anything remotely humble about you.

I didn't say you said anything that you did not say.  You are not reading what I wrote. 

You said in your experience Thais don't like expats speaking Thai.

I said that is as true as in if you experienced being able to walk on water. 

Just because it is your experience does not make it true. 

However it is hard to be humble.

19 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

1.  Average mean temp CM 68F  2.  Housing average nice house $350 per month.  3.  Why would an old guy want to buy a  house?  I sold my home in USA when I retired here and use the cash interest from the sale.  My Thai wife is buying a new home where we live and I help pay for it. So she will have it when I die.  4.  Thailand was always my ace in the hole that none of my American wives knew about.  Nuff said about that.  In the States I dodged 6 hurricanes and 3 x wives here I'm not dodging anything and live a life most 20 year olds only dream about.  If I was living in the States I might have done a reverse mortgage (lots of old folks do) instead I sold my property and put the cash in international investments.

2-bedroom-house-for-rent-in-east-pattaya-chonburi.jpg

Sorry, one only has to read back through your posts to see you contradict yourself on every post.

The mean annual temperature is 25.4 degrees Celsius (77.7 degrees Fahrenheit). 

Chiang Mai has six wet months (May-October) which can be called the rainy season. During these wet months the weather is relatively warm and air humidity is high (30-65%)

You just posted you have been in Thailand since 1968, yet another post stated only 5 years

You posted previously losing everything to an ex-wife

5 minutes a year at immigration

No one dodges hurricanes and more people are killed in CM road accidents by a mile

You speak fluent Thai with doctors after being their for only 5 years

Do you really think that is a nice house? 3 feet from your neighbors, no grass lawn, street noise? Nice compared to Isaan maybe. 

Thailand was your ace in the hole, yet you were divorced 3 times and you are the common denominator in all three.

I suppose you would claim all three of your ex-wife's had to pay you and you didn't lose a thing, right?

You are generous and help your Thai wife pay for the house SHE will buy? Seems without her, you would be having a house at all.

People that have such a fabulous life have no need to tell stories or get caught up contradicting themselves.

Tell yourself that.

The forum is a much better place when the truth is told, so people that are interested can learn a thing or two

Remember to video your next 5 minutes a year at immigration. 

37 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I spent 5 minutes last year at Immigration.  My secretary does my 90 day reports and I got number 1 in line at my Immigration office for my extension (I use the cash in bank method).  The guy behind me spent 10 minutes.  I'm not unusual.  Many spend less time than that ask that guy with the Klingon avatar. 

You have a secretary?

Does that mean you are working or working illegally without a work permit?

Why would you still be working at your age? 

Didn't save enough after the 3 ex-wives finished you off?

Do you get number 1 at immigration every single year? 

Give up with the stories

24 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Sorry, one only has to read back through your posts to see you contradict yourself on every post.

The mean annual temperature is 25.4 degrees Celsius (77.7 degrees Fahrenheit). 

Chiang Mai has six wet months (May-October) which can be called the rainy season. During these wet months the weather is relatively warm and air humidity is high (30-65%)

You just posted you have been in Thailand since 1968, yet another post stated only 5 years

You posted previously losing everything to an ex-wife

5 minutes a year at immigration

No one dodges hurricanes and more people are killed in CM road accidents by a mile

You speak fluent Thai with doctors after being their for only 5 years

Do you really think that is a nice house? 3 feet from your neighbors, no grass lawn, street noise? Nice compared to Isaan maybe. 

Thailand was your ace in the hole, yet you were divorced 3 times and you are the common denominator in all three.

I suppose you would claim all three of your ex-wife's had to pay you and you didn't lose a thing, right?

You are generous and help your Thai wife pay for the house SHE will buy? Seems without her, you would be having a house at all.

People that have such a fabulous life have no need to tell stories or get caught up contradicting themselves.

Tell yourself that.

The forum is a much better place when the truth is told, so people that are interested can learn a thing or two

Remember to video your next 5 minutes a year at immigration.

I lived in CM for 3 years and not much of a rainy season.  I lived in Saigon for 2 and that is a rainy season. 

I have lived in my current house for 5 years not Thailand.

My x wives all wanted to destroy me.  They didn't.  Thailand was my ace in the hole. 

My x wives thought they got everything including my soul and that I would be devastated by them divorcing me.  I wasn't, Thailand was my ace in the hole.

If I didn't have a Thai wife I would rent a home or condo.  I lived here many years and that's what I did.  I didn't buy a home when I was a single guy in the States either.  What for?  Lease a car, boat, home.....

I spent 5 minutes at Immigration last year.

I have not contradicted myself.  I'm afraid you don't read or recall very well. 

23 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

You have a secretary?

Does that mean you are working or working illegally without a work permit?

Why would you still be working at your age? 

Didn't save enough after the 3 ex-wives finished you off?

Do you get number 1 at immigration every single year? 

Give up with the stories

I have a secretary to handle my personal affairs (like 90 day report) that I don't feel justify my presence.  I also have a maid and lawn maintenance people and a plumber and electrician.  I'm thinking about getting a massage therapist as I don't like having to educate each one but I do like the variety so I'm still up in the air about that.  The new Prime Minister of Malaysia is 93.  I like to keep busy too. 

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

You use to own a car, your own car. Now you depend on public transportation. Are new cars cheaper in Thailand than the USA, no they are not. You traded ownership for nothing, of course it will be cheaper.

Did you eat Khao Man Gai in the USA? Of course you did not. How much is a nice stake at Sizzler in Thailand?

Any location can be cheap and survivable however you are just not living the same. You are surviving only on what you can afford. Period.

No house, no car, no nothing. Have any children? Hope not because you won't have anything to leave them when you pass.

Of course it is not the same. 

You could live in a shack in West Virginia the same as Isaan. But you can't compare Palm Beach with Isaan either.

I hear Africa is even cheaper?

I suppose it depends on ones taste, but a “nice steak at Sizzler “ ?    

Archived