Thailand still a destination of choice for money conscious expats

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well I've said before, to the horror of the Thailand apologist trolls...Thailand aint cheap anymore, unless of course you're living in a tin shack and eating somtam every meal.

If you own property back in, wherever it is you come from, and you live, eat like you did back home, Thailand, at least for me was actually more expensive.

As for the survey itself...Singapore, really???

I've lived in Singapore and it, along with Hong Kong were the two most expensive places I'd ever lived!

I am in the US right now with my wife, eating out is expensive here min. 20.00 dollars for 2 meals, probably cheaper eating at home but ho hum. Drinks in a bar 10.00 dollars for a mixed drink I do not do beer. Not much drinking on this trip. Happy to be back in Thailand in one month

You guys fight over nothing. This is Me: Half a year in Thailand and Half a Year home. Thailand is best in its price class for me. I choose it. Me. What ever the rest of you think about me, or my lifestyle, thats you. Human bandwith is too limited to waste bytes on d**k measuring silliness.

Have a beer. Who is looking forward to footie next week?

What I can not find out in the survey, how they classify an expat?
Is it someone working in a foreign country send by his employer, did he come here to work on his free will or is he a retired person?
That makes a big difference how you consider a cheap or expensive country.

That's part of the stupidity of these threads.

We too still do the Thai/US thing. We spend the winter in Thailand, then return in the Spring.

Trouble is, you can't say anything that the Apologists construe as negative, or you end up getting trolled.

All I can say, is from my experience, and I'll say it one once more, we own both our houses in Thailand & US, after that I don't see much difference in the cost of living, 'if' that is you want to have the same same lifestyle in both places.

So, make of it what you will, I don't really care, since whatever we'll still keep doing our dual country lifestyle

27 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

That's part of the stupidity of these threads.

We too still do the Thai/US thing. We spend the winter in Thailand, then return in the Spring.

Trouble is, you can't say anything that the Apologists construe as negative, or you end up getting trolled.

All I can say, is from my experience, and I'll say it one once more, we own both our houses in Thailand & US, after that I don't see much difference in the cost of living, 'if' that is you want to have the same same lifestyle in both places.

So, make of it what you will, I don't really care, since whatever we'll still keep doing our dual country lifestyle

You own both houses/land in the US but your wife owns the house/land in Thailand.  That may make a big difference to some people. 

Your house in Thailand cost half of what your house in the US cost and that may make a difference to some people as housing is the number one expense for most people. (I duplicated my US house and location in Thailand for half the price) (same sq footage, same distance from Gulf, same distance from shopping and healthcare, almost same distance from mass transit (if there had been mass transit in US))

Single expense is different than married expense and that may make a difference to many people. 

I'm not an apologist.  I am a realist.  Good stuff here and bad.  Good stuff in US and bad. 

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You own both houses/land in the US but your wife owns the house/land in Thailand.  That may make a big difference to some people. 

Your house in Thailand cost half of what your house in the US cost and that may make a difference to some people as housing is the number one expense for most people. (I duplicated my US house and location in Thailand for half the price) (same sq footage, same distance from Gulf, same distance from shopping and healthcare, almost same distance from mass transit (if there had been mass transit in US))

Single expense is different than married expense and that may make a difference to many people. 

I'm not an apologist.  I am a realist.  Good stuff here and bad.  Good stuff in US and bad. 

You’re absolutely right, all of us have different situations and circumstances.

I have never claimed that one is better than the other and that I’m trying to trash Thailand. I still like it, but as a vacation, rather than to live there.

Now I’m only going to comment on US housing since thats where I live.

Now our house here, and this is a big country with huge variations in house prices, didn’t actually cost more than we paid to build (her) house in Thailand.

When I talk about cost of living, I’m looking at utility bills, cars, insurance, food (farang stuff) the usual stuff.

Thats really where I don’t think Thailand beats anywhere anymore!

3 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You use to own a car, your own car. Now you depend on public transportation. Are new cars cheaper in Thailand than the USA, no they are not. You traded ownership for nothing, of course it will be cheaper.

Did you eat Khao Man Gai in the USA? Of course you did not. How much is a nice stake at Sizzler in Thailand?

Any location can be cheap and survivable however you are just not living the same. You are surviving only on what you can afford. Period.

No house, no car, no nothing. Have any children? Hope not because you won't have anything to leave them when you pass.

Of course it is not the same. 

You could live in a shack in West Virginia the same as Isaan. But you can't compare Palm Beach with Isaan either.

I hear Africa is even cheaper?

I did not say cars were cheaper, i said you do not have to own one, whereas they are a necessity in the states. Take home point: the transportation situation in Thailand is way cheaper as i do not even need a vehicle. This would be like if you did not need anything, like a jacket... it is going to clearly be cheaper in the place you do not need it. You can see this, correct?

I have eaten chicken with rice in the United States. Let me just say, it will not be a dollar. If you can't eat good and much cheaper here, it is more a problem with you, so please stop complaining about it. 

I have an apartment on the outskirts of bkk 100 meters from the bts and it is 4700 baht a month. BKK is a big city, you know this right? So, try to think of an equivalent... New York, LA, etc. It is not going to be 4700 baht a month. It is going to be more like 60,000 baht! Not sure how that isn't clearly cheaper to you. 

I am not going to go point for point because quite honestly it seems unnecessary based on your first three attempts.

20 minutes ago, Petchou said:

I don't know how they did this, but it's quite wrong to put Thailand cheaper to live in than Morocco for example where everything is cheaper than Thailand.  

They got GoGos in Morocco? ?

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You can use it to communicate all the Thais who retire in Florida.  ROTFL

and Thais living anywhere else in the world, quite a few actually

about 10 years ago I met 2 Thai chicks on a flight from S P in Brazil to Buenos Aires

we were about total 8 pax in biz class

my small knowledge of Thai broke the ice and we had a ball/party on the flight

they came from BKK via FRA, I came from SIN via Dulles, we were all kinda knackered but still had a party

Thai is not totally useless

7 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Cambodia is a s***hole. You couldn't pay me to live there. Their food doesn't hold a candle to Thai food.

Your post was masterfully masterful in its well putted-ness until here.  If your *hithole comment is inclusive of food, then yes,  the food is mediocre at best.  The genocide ravaged country run by a military strong man for three decades, has a problem with food.  An obvious repercussion of executing your best and brightest, while denying those who survived of an education; culinary or otherwise.  

There was a long thread a year ago that compared Thai and Khmer food.  Some posters felt that Cambodia had a better price / quality ratio when it came to western food than Thailand.  Thai food was superior to Khmer of course.  Hands down, Khmer coffee is far far superior than anything served in Thailand.  The Baguettes are good too, and yes, dare I say, cheap!  And you cannot buy them in Thailand. 

I have lived in Cambodia for two years and Thailand for four.  One is a more comfortable than the other, and one is infinitely more fun and interesting than the other.  *hithole is a rather barbaric thing to say of the home of the humble Khmer.   Sadly, it will look like parts of urbane China soon, which resembles downtown Duluth or the area where you are from.  I prefer *hithole

32 minutes ago, Petchou said:

I don't know how they did this, but it's quite wrong to put Thailand cheaper to live in than Morocco for example where everything is cheaper than Thailand.  

Morocco is OK. And cheap.

Proper hotels do cost though.

To throw in a little oil on the fire.

Of course the reality is. if you're old single you go to Thailand not for the cost of living, temples, weather, blah blah, but for the availability of cheap sex with young women.

It ain't that hard to figure out the motivation behind most guy's thought process!

Been here for a decade, working on modest Thai salary, paying Thai taxes.

Have always lived comfortably.  Coming from someone from a first world country.  Maybe not everyone feels the same, but I have always been very content here.

10 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Vietnam is about half the cost of living to that of Thailand. Doesn't have some of those attractions Thailand is famous for but it is a whole lot cheaper, particularly for food and drink and most other things. Not so much so for rental unless away from the big cities.

If one is concerned about their budget then Thailand is just going to get harder and harder. For those who have flexibility to move Vietnam is a great option, Cambodia less so. 

I've been to Vietnam twice recently and didn't find it to be all that much cheaper than Thailand. Mind you, I was staying in hotels and dining out all the time.

15 minutes ago, YTP said:

Been here for a decade, working on modest Thai salary, paying Thai taxes.

Have always lived comfortably.  Coming from someone from a first world country.  Maybe not everyone feels the same, but I have always been very content here.

it think it depends on your standarts too. Most developing countries have a dual pay scheme. Cheap food for locals, expensive for outsiders.  

10 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

How do you know she was 18 if you did not know her? Most of the buggers where we live would run a foreigner over rather than give you a lift!

Well she offered a ride, so it's necessary to follow the law and research before negotiating the cost of the ride ?

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

OK.

I just find it interesting how many brag and think a place like Cambodia is better then here, because you can buy a beer for 50 cents. I guess if booze is the life blood of ones existence.  I am glad it is not mine.

It is sad when people always mention the cheaper booze. They forget that ganja is also cheap and readily available in Cambodia.

3 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

It is sad when people always mention the cheaper booze. They forget that ganja is also cheap and readily available in Cambodia.

Exactly. Best part of the whole country.

7 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Sorry, worked for several very wealthy entrepreneurs over three decades in Asia, some worth  hundreds of millions of dollars.   None of them could speak an Asian language.  I cherish the hard work it took and my abilities to speak a major Asian Language, but somehow doubt the excited people with money you talk about learned Thai.   Learning Thai over Chinese, Bhasa, Korean or Japanese is highly doubtful.  My Thai friends tell me NOT to learn Thai over a more valuable language.  

If you live in Thailand, Thai is the most valuable language.

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

To throw in a little oil on the fire.

Of course the reality is. if you're old single you go to Thailand not for the cost of living, temples, weather, blah blah, but for the availability of cheap sex with young women.

It ain't that hard to figure out the motivation behind most guy's thought process!

Elon................is that you ?

3 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Sorry, one only has to read back through your posts to see you contradict yourself on every post.

The mean annual temperature is 25.4 degrees Celsius (77.7 degrees Fahrenheit). 

Chiang Mai has six wet months (May-October) which can be called the rainy season. During these wet months the weather is relatively warm and air humidity is high (30-65%)

You just posted you have been in Thailand since 1968, yet another post stated only 5 years

You posted previously losing everything to an ex-wife

5 minutes a year at immigration

No one dodges hurricanes and more people are killed in CM road accidents by a mile

You speak fluent Thai with doctors after being their for only 5 years

Do you really think that is a nice house? 3 feet from your neighbors, no grass lawn, street noise? Nice compared to Isaan maybe. 

Thailand was your ace in the hole, yet you were divorced 3 times and you are the common denominator in all three.

I suppose you would claim all three of your ex-wife's had to pay you and you didn't lose a thing, right?

You are generous and help your Thai wife pay for the house SHE will buy? Seems without her, you would be having a house at all.

People that have such a fabulous life have no need to tell stories or get caught up contradicting themselves.

Tell yourself that.

The forum is a much better place when the truth is told, so people that are interested can learn a thing or two

Remember to video your next 5 minutes a year at immigration. 

And what's wrong with issan.ive been all over Thailand,lived in Phuket.im retired and it's the only place for me.cheap,no big traffic outside udon city.people are easy going.good few expats around my area.the only real problem I have are the dogs barking.im only 55yrs but due to health reasons couldn't work and  live in the uk any longer and wouldn't get sod all from the government so packed my bags and sold up.i have to live on 30,000b a month as that's the income from my rentals but love cooking and eat as good as I would in the uk.dont use the pick up much and my bills for the month are 3,000 for electric and internet.cant moan about the place but Thais do my head in with their ways so don't associate with them apart from the family who are a simple lot that haven't a care in the world and work hard most of the time.the uk has had it for me.tax is bloody mental and housing too.brexit day I got the last of my funds out and officially retired.i was probably the last rat that got off the sinking ship.when I think about it I couldn't of lived any place else in the world without having to do some kind of work but I now can relax and take things easy.thailand is what you make of it.i best get to bed I've got a busy day tomorrow,got to pay my 68b water bill and drop some paperwork off at government office.

7 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Oh pullleeezeee,  making it is more like making it in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Singapore or Tokyo.  Why would one bother ?

Unlike Thailand, skilled expats are hired with greater regularity and with less fanfare. 

Skilled expats can work here without any problem, unqualified "tourist" teachers is an other story. 

7 hours ago, freebyrd said:

I worked for a tight fisted  Brit in Thailand and lived in an apartment where I paid B4,500 a month (1994 - 2001). Here I work for a Khmer, much higher salary and better all around treatment. I live in a 2 bedroom house, no palace, $400 a month and have a Khmer wife who doesn't nag me for anything and whose family don't expect me to support them.

I enjoyed my years in Thailand but IMO it was a far more welcoming country then (1988 - 2001).

The old days were certainly different as people who came here had money to spend. No "begpackers", most people knew something about the country before they went to visit. There are Thai families who don't expect you to support them too, so that is "the luck of the draw", there will be enough people in Cambodia looking for free money too. Working for a tight fisted  Brit is a thing where both parties sign a contract, don't do it or leave quickly if you don't like it.

Archived