Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jonathan Fairfield

Murder suspect almost lynched during crime enactment 

Recommended Posts

Murder suspect almost lynched during crime enactment 

By The Nation

 

n1.jpeg

 

The stepfather of a 19-year-student who was found naked and murdered in her Bangkok bedroom was almost lynched by angry relatives and neighbours during a crime re-enactment on Saturday morning.


Police had to whisk away Thossapol Promchart, 34, from the original crime scene, a shophouse on Soi Thidthai 22 in Thonburi district where the victim lived, as angry onlookers and the girls’ relatives threatened to attack him.

 

Thossapol was arrested just hours after police were alerted of the death of Thitikarn Ratana-uthai at 10am on Friday.

 

Police checking security-camera footage saw Thossapol leaving the shophouse and went to arrest him at a hotel in Pathumwan district where he works.

 

The girl’s body was found by her boyfriend who lived with her at the house. He had gone to work on a school report with friends that night and returned home at 6am on Friday.

 

Police said that Thossapol told them he was high on crystal meth and beer when he drove a pickup truck from his house in Lat Prao, where he lives with the girl’s mother, to the girl’s house at 1.30am on Friday.

 

He allegedly said he planned to rape her but the girl fought back, and so he strangled her and left the shophouse at 3am to drive back to his house.

 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30354026

 

 
thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-08

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fed's should've looked the other way for 5 minutes .. Let 'em have their fill .. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the relatives wanted to murder the accused, all it would take would somebody to bring a gun to one of these rather culturally-unique re-enactments. The venting, the 'almost killing' of the suspect, the intervention by often almost a hundred police is some kind of ritual, peculiar to this culture that seems to serve the interests of the stakeholders.

 

For the police, it gets an understandably irate community off their back so they can get back to their normal revenue-raising activities uninterrupted.

 

For the relatives, it provides a target for their ire and some catharsis.

 

For the politicians, it soothes society. The last thing they want is an angry, restless populace.

 

Perhaps when somebody is killed at one of these events, they will end. But I doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Fed's should've looked the other way for 5 minutes .. Let 'em have their fill .. 

Yes, mob justice should always come before a court deciding whether the defendant is innocent or guilty.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Police said that Thossapol told them he was high on crystal meth and beer. 

 

Can falangs use that excuse without doubling their jail time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Briggsy said:

If the relatives wanted to murder the accused, all it would take would somebody to bring a gun to one of these rather culturally-unique re-enactments. The venting, the 'almost killing' of the suspect, the intervention by often almost a hundred police is some kind of ritual, peculiar to this culture that seems to serve the interests of the stakeholders.

 

For the police, it gets an understandably irate community off their back so they can get back to their normal revenue-raising activities uninterrupted.

 

For the relatives, it provides a target for their ire and some catharsis.

 

For the politicians, it soothes society. The last thing they want is an angry, restless populace.

 

Perhaps when somebody is killed at one of these events, they will end. But I doubt it.

you're right, ive become so used to it after being baffled when i first saw how they re-enact these things and get the accused to point or act out the crime, but its just tempting the already irate family and friends to become more upset and angry. One day something totally avoidable could happen

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Fed's should've looked the other way for 5 minutes .. Let 'em have their fill .. 

i'd have had a gun and made sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, monnington said:

One day something totally avoidable could happen

Yes, it would be so tragic for the family to elicit revenge on the murdering, raping and thieving primates.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HLover said:

Yes, it would be so tragic for the family to elicit revenge on the murdering, raping and thieving primates.  

true actually, didnt think of it like that

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Yes, mob justice should always come before a court deciding whether the defendant is innocent or guilty.

 

Basically right! On the other hand, maybe it's the many court decisions made in favor of the untouchables, that makes people questioning if there is a fair and equal 'justice system' and thus turn to an alternative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Yes, mob justice should always come before a court deciding whether the defendant is innocent or guilty.

 

OK, then lets delay the re-enactment until after the guilty verdict and then turn the other way. seems fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Basically right! On the other hand, maybe it's the many court decisions made in favor of the untouchables, that makes people questioning if there is a fair and equal 'justice system' and thus turn to an alternative.

The alternative is called mob rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hansnl said:

The alternative is called mob rule.

Maybe that's the real dilemma: Elite rule vs mob rule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...