Alternatives to bleached and treated flour

CLW

Last time I bought a few packs of white Swan bread flour I noticed a remark at the bottom of the packaging: treated with benzoyl peroxide.

I am sure this information hasn't been there in the past.

So they either just put it because if some regulation or changed their process / supplier.

However, some research on the Internet showed me that benzoyl peroxide is not something you would want to have in your food.

Many countries banned this chemical already long time ago as food additive.

So I am wondering if there are other bread flours (domestic or imported) available, but should not cost a premium price or be organic.

I just want simple untreated bread flour.

I will reach out to choco Schmidt as they usually have a wide range of imported flour and add the result here as well.

5 hours ago, CLW said:

Problem almost solved.

Choco Schmidt has imported flour from Germany for 92 Baht / kg.

https://www.schmidt.co.th/en/flour.html

what difference would your concern have to the finished quality of the bread? this being Asia most stuff is adulterated in one unpleasant way or another like pesticides on veg, etc...but I agree that toxic substances in food are undesirable...

what difference would your concern have to the finished quality of the bread? this being Asia most stuff is adulterated in one unpleasant way or another like pesticides on veg, etc...but I agree that toxic substances in food are undesirable...

Benzoyl peroxide is a possible carcinogenic substance therefore if I can avoid it I will.
If I take the time and effort to make my own bread then at least it should be of good quality otherwise I can buy it also from somewhere.

Depends where you live.

YoK baking supplies in Chiang Mai have a wide range of bread flours, organic and normal.

I use their

TFM bread flour 32bht/kg + Cottage farm Whole wheat flour 38bht/kg (50/50) for whole wheat loaves.

TFN + Cottage farm + Hahne fruit muelsi (50/25/25) for muesli loaves. 

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Depends where you live.

YoK baking supplies in Chiang Mai have a wide range of bread flours, organic and normal.

I use their Cottage Farm Whole Wheat 38bht/kg mixed with TFM bread flour 32bht/kg.

Amazing. Pattaya could do with something like that.

I just took a look at the Swan packaging, it is only the cake flour that states that it contains Benzoyl Peroxide.  

This is from TFM:

We aim not to use such beaching agent in most our wheat flour. All of our 1kg-bag flour, except the cake flour, are without the use of Benzoyl Peroxide. Still as there is some demand from customer, there are some few selections of our flour with beaching. We use Benzoyl Peroxide with the appropriate amount according to FDA laws in producing these four.

I think you will find that this is the norm, and that if you are only making bread then this needn't concern you, unless that is that you are making some awful scone-like bastardization of bread by using cake flour, in which case I can't help you. 

I just took a look at the Swan packaging, it is only the cake flour that states that it contains Benzoyl Peroxide.  

This is from TFM:
We aim not to use such beaching agent in most our wheat flour. All of our 1kg-bag flour, except the cake flour, are without the use of Benzoyl Peroxide. Still as there is some demand from customer, there are some few selections of our flour with beaching. We use Benzoyl Peroxide with the appropriate amount according to FDA laws in producing these four.

I think you will find that this is the norm, and that if you are only making bread then this needn't concern you, unless that is that you are making some awful scone-like bastardization of bread by using cake flour, in which case I can't help you. 
Here is a picture of a recent Swan packaging. I could not believe it either.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/azKT4A5T58BMfk9JA[/url]

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G7Qt9WQ53m1W6zmv7

Thanks for pointing out to TFM.
My local Big C has it for around 60 Baht.
Anywhere else cheaper?

Archived