If you didn't live in Thailand, had a high income then were else would you live in Asia?

RichardThailand

If he has to ask then I wonder how intelligent he is. Surely the best strategy would be for him to visit the places he's interested in and decide for himself. Also that kind of money can insulate a person and rarely leads to feelings of satisfaction. My recommendation would be that he gives himself a budget and goes backpacking for a few months. I've met a few rich guys who have done the same thing and they loved it.

• Thanks 1

I got the impression - the OPs friend being 50 - he was looking for retirement and therefore somewhere that will issue a visa to that effect which I think takes out Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Burma, and Spore and leaves Thailand, Bali, Malaysia and the Philippines.

Another option could be Sri Lanka; similar requirements to here for a non imm OA ($15 000 in the bank, $5 000 monthly income, if memory serves.) One possible setback is the requirement for compulsory medical insurance - issued locally - but obviously not a financial concern for this person.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Singapore, or if really really have money central Tokyo

Winner!!   Singapore by a mile.   Japan is great, but there is very little 'farang' options and the culture is very 'singular' - best place to visit, but not best to live without a Japanese wife/GF.

There aint no better option in Asia when it comes to a high standard of living, law and order, banking system, medical system, food (being OK to eat), restaurants, transport (including the roads and airports themselves), entertainment, building construction, weather,  legal rights, land and property ownership is similar to Thailand but you can get residency in a few years and citizenship is possible (dual citizenship allowed), and I could go on and on.

English is the official language of Singapore.  Plus, it is a genuine 'hub' for airline transport and from there you can go anywhere in asia in a short time. 

33 minutes ago, Bogbrush said:

I got the impression - the OPs friend being 50 - he was looking for retirement and therefore somewhere that will issue a visa to that effect which I think takes out Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Burma, and Spore and leaves Thailand, Bali, Malaysia and the Philippines.

Another option could be Sri Lanka; similar requirements to here for a non imm OA ($15 000 in the bank, $5 000 monthly income, if memory serves.) One possible setback is the requirement for compulsory medical insurance - issued locally - but obviously not a financial concern for this person.

Yes, I got the same gist about visas being a big issue. Which is why I mentioned visas would be possible in many places outside Asia as well. 

2 hours ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Australia

agree,

if I were loaded --> Australia, fantastic country, huge - would take years to explore

very very nice place - and a lot of fun - and very diversified and very interesting place

am happy that I have been there 10-15 times

---

New Zealand? Yes!

I wouldn't live anywhere in Asia.

When I arrived here 24 years ago, Thailand was the only country in Asia that appealed to me because of it's combination of 365 day sun - cheap - quite developed and fun.

Now few of those appealing facts have disappeared, and i would rather leave if there wren't some factors that prevent that currently.

There is still no other country in Asia that has any appeal to me, and that has nothing to do with finances

Having living in Singapore for over a decade, you can cross that one off your list as a they don't offer a retirement visa. This is a retirement option if you want to get a visa through their Global Investment Program (GIP). Under GIP you can choose one of the following investment options:

Option A: Invest at least S$2.5 million in a new business entity or in the expansion of an existing business operation.
Option B: Invest at least S$2.5 million in a GIP fund that invests in Singapore based companies.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:
11 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Singapore, or if really really have money central Tokyo

Which points out the big question, what is their goal?

They could afford to live in either of those places but their wealth wouldn't be particularly powerful there.

Or pick a lower cost place and be closer to the top level.

whether they could afford or willing to match Singapore's "entry fee" for residence is highly questionable. on top of that the proceeds/income  of the required investment would be taxable.

• Thanks 1

He should select a country where his income (in whatever form) will not be subject to tax and stay out of the UK long enough to be non-resident for tax purposes.

Singapore is an obvious choice but a tad dull at times, and affected by the Sumatran burning issue that plagues Kuala Lumpur also. Bangkok is a great place and he can stay close to all the upmarket amenities. Bali has been mentioned, good but you'd get bored there too ... one advantage is that you can easily jump onto a plane to Australia ... stay for a month and jump back. I like Vietnam ... both Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi, with the former shading it on account of its better facilities. 

He's spoiled for choice ... but you might suggest he keeps quiet about his income, and keeps a low or no profile.

12 hours ago, RichardThailand said:

If you had that income, no need to work then would you live in Thailand or some other place in Asia (must be Asia) and if so where?  When answering please also consider that it would need to be a place where he and wife could legally stay for an extended period of time.

Singapore would be my choice in such a case. It's expensive, compared to many places, but it got almost everything, and it's nice, clean and safe. There are plenty of excellent possibilities along the harbor line, and it's like a garden – even rooftops, the slogan is "make Singapore our garden" – and it's easy to get around (both good highways and public transport, depending of choice).

08b)Roof-gardens_IMG_3760.jpg.0da59e0faa806bc68c6bdf212206aaae.jpg
A marina area by the harbor line, my photo was snapped from the cable car connecting the harbor with amzing Sentosa Island.

But don't rule out Thailand, there are a number of nice options when your client is in the £200k yearly income level, it's in the level of 8 million baht or around 650,000 baht a month. You can find a nice, if not outstanding, serviced villa – beachfront, or with an amazing view, within that budget – and still having space for a lavish life-style; both Phuket and Samui could be of interest...?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BarnicaleBob said:

Hawaii, has all the resources one needs to enjoy life, the best year around weather, they all speak English (well mostly lol), and Maui, Hawaii would be the best island to live on.  

I have heard that assimilation is pretty hard in Hawaii. Almost as bad as the native Singaporean's and their 'sh!t don't stink' attitude to foreigners.

3 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Winner!!   Singapore by a mile.   Japan is great, but there is very little 'farang' options and the culture is very 'singular' - best place to visit, but not best to live without a Japanese wife/GF.

If you like life in a bland, faceless police state, OK I guess.

There aint no better option in Asia when it comes to a high standard of living, law and order, banking system, medical system, food (being OK to eat), restaurants, transport (including the roads and airports themselves), entertainment, building construction, weather,  legal rights, land and property ownership is similar to Thailand but you can get residency in a few years and citizenship is possible (dual citizenship allowed), and I could go on and on.

You already have. Thanks.

English is the official language of Singapore.  Plus, it is a genuine 'hub' for airline transport and from there you can go anywhere in asia in a short time. 

Oh dear... Changi as the center of the bloody universe again? The thing is you need loads of liquidity to use Changi frequently because TBH, staying in Singapore for anything longer than a month and you DO need to go somewhere else for genuine fun and excitement. Not the bottled, pre-packaged, homogenized and over-priced sh!te that Singapore offers. Or you can pop over the causeway to Johor or ferry-hop to Batam.

Short-times are more expensive in Singapore too.