If you didn't live in Thailand, had a high income then were else would you live in Asia?

RichardThailand

15 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

If you like life in a bland, faceless police state, OK I guess.

Now that they won't be part of Europe anymore, there is talk about towing the British islands and their police state all the way accross the Mediterannean sea, and attach them to the Middle East...so they would be part of Asia indeed, but that's not done yet!

Edited by Brunolem

11 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

there is talk about towing the British islands and their police state all the way accross the Mediterannean sea,

You think the British Isles are in the Mediterranean? 

Easier to tow them to the USA.

Edited by BritManToo

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You think the British Isles are in the Mediterranean? 

Easier to tow them to the USA.

Not "are" but "could be", although it may be easier to tow them trough the Atlantic as you suggest...so they could finally come out as the 51st state!

• Like 1

Re: the first reply favouring Vietnam. I was thinking more about that Country to live in view of the poor Baht/ £Sterling rates. I accept that it is the problem with the £ Sterling wherever you head for but I would ask the poster if he can recommend a seaside location in Vietnam in the warmer south part of the country ?  Thanks

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BestB said:

All depends what you wanted out of life.

penang in Malaysia is as laid back as it gets. No hassles with visa or much else for that matter. Food is questionable in my opinion.

vietnam always gets good reviews.

main question that I have why someone with such high income would want to live in south east Asia ?

Vietnam is good- Penang as well. Cambodia is good for a small business as you do not need a partner.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

How is this guy earning so much money, but cannot think

for himself, where he would like to live.

Then you will take the best suggestions given on here and

charge him for the privilege of others knowledge. 

regards worgeordie

He certainly isn’t getting his money’s worth.  He should look for a new “advisor”.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Postmaster said:

Re: the first reply favouring Vietnam. I was thinking more about that Country to live in view of the poor Baht/ £Sterling rates. I accept that it is the problem with the £ Sterling wherever you head for but I would ask the poster if he can recommend a seaside location in Vietnam in the warmer south part of the country ?  Thanks

Vung Tau, It's very nice and a 90min fast ferry from HCMC. Large expat community mainly Aussies.

My pals also like Phu Quoc, which is a 30 quid flight from HCMC, a Viet Island off the coast of Cambodia.

(I've never been, but they all like it)

Edited by BritManToo

8 hours ago, BarnicaleBob said:

Hawaii, has all the resources one needs to enjoy life, the best year around weather, they all speak English (well mostly lol), and Maui, Hawaii would be the best island to live on.  

But is there  a Hawaiian Visa Forum where you can complain daily about Hawaiian laws, driving on the roads, flooding, language, customs, girls and worthless Hawaiian men and family life in the Hawaiian Village?  If not then most on this TVF would be unhappy there. ?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Naam said:

would all the eggsburts who recommend Singapore inform themselves by reading

https://www.guidemesingapore.com/business-guides/immigration/permanent-residence-pr/pr-scheme-for-investors

:coffee1:

Hopefully some of the posters here will learn from this link.  Also a map of Asia might be a useful thing for those who are not quite sure what countries are in Asia ? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RichardThailand said:

Hopefully some of the posters here will learn from this link.  Also a map of Asia might be a useful thing for those who are not quite sure what countries are in Asia ? 

a post about your client's lifestyle, preferences and priorities would be most helpful to determine a suitable destination.

rich or poor we all got the same immigration, local taxation and property ownership rights hassles and etc to put up with...but if one has a big income just put a local lawyer on retainer to sort everything out and kick back and relax...in that way one could live anywhere one desired...

as my existence becomes increasingly penurious rural Vietnam looks nice...but I always liked the place that I have in mind anyway...

4 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

rich or poor we all got the same immigration, local taxation and property ownership rights hassles and etc to put up with...

actually that's not true.

there is Thailand Elite and some investment visas give the right to purchase 1 rai of land, etc. Thailand does not tax foreign income that stays abroad for at least 12 months.

33 minutes ago, Naam said:

https://www.guidemesingapore.com/business-guides/immigration/permanent-residence-pr/pr-scheme-for-investors

kinda similar to what farangs must do in order to buy land in own name in LoS,

LoS rules are harder though

friend of mine was dead keen on living in SIN, his job was OK with him living anywhere,

he looked at visa arrangements and concluded - double shit

then he went on an extended holiday to SIN, found a SIN chick and married

25 years ago and still happy

24 minutes ago, manarak said:

actually that's not true.

there is Thailand Elite and some investment visas give the right to purchase 1 rai of land, etc. Thailand does not tax foreign income that stays abroad for at least 12 months.

I don't think that is quite correct

There are hacks in the relevant legislation that allows for foreigners buying land in own name

It is not linked to type of visa

It is not  a right, but smth you can apply for

It requires  that you import about 40 million baht (in foreign currency)  to LoS and put the money to work

one way or the other (government bonds don't count I think)

after (forgot) 4 or 5 years you can apply for permission to buy 1 rai for house/living purposes

20 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Singapore, or if really really have money central Tokyo

If I couldn't live in Bangkok I would choose Hong Kong first and then Singapore.   

But I'd rather live in Bangkok like a king than live in HK or Singapore like just a prince.  

• Thanks 1

Tell your client to speak to a tax professional if he's a high net worth guy he can probably buy citizenship somewhere he loses  little or none to tax

Every case will be different but my friend got citizenship and passport in St kitts for ~$150k and it saves him a fortune each year

As he says, it isn't important how much you make, how much you keep is the important number you should  focus on

8 hours ago, Naam said:

For someone who isn’t Jimmy Rogers, working longterm in Singapore and becoming a PR prior to retirement is pretty much a prerequisite for retiring in Singapore but even that might not be sufficient.  The Government doesn’t actually tell you what the criteria are to allow a working class PR to stay after retiring, they just say that they will take into consider your prior contributions to Singapore.

• Like 1

Malaysia. Most speak some English, and Malay is easiest language to learn. Cost of living is moderate, there is still generally a respect for the law and the infrastructure is generally in good nick. Great choice of environments from bustling busy KL to peaceful Cameron Highlands or the East coast

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If you like life in a bland, faceless police state, OK I guess.

You already have. Thanks.

Oh dear... Changi as the center of the bloody universe again? The thing is you need loads of liquidity to use Changi frequently because TBH, staying in Singapore for anything longer than a month and you DO need to go somewhere else for genuine fun and excitement. Not the bottled, pre-packaged, homogenized and over-priced sh!te that Singapore offers. Or you can pop over the causeway to Johor or ferry-hop to Batam.

Short-times are more expensive in Singapore too.

I'm very pro-Singapore too but I was surprised to see so many people recommending Singapore in this thread.  Usually farangs in Thailand slag off Singapore.  It makes sense in a way that people who thrive on the disfunctionality and relative poverty of Thailand would dislike the order and affluence of Singapore.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gamini said:

Silly post. Most of us live in Thailand because we love the people and the country why would we want to live anywhere else in Asia if we couldn't live in Thailand. 

Again, a relative argument. I would prefer Singapore or Hong Kong if they were cheaper or I had more money. And, like some others, Thailand is wearing thin on me. Moving is a distinct possibility. Those of us who have not committed ourselves here--by marriage, children, property, or business--have easier decisions and more options.

• Like 1