BANGKOK 24 February 2019 06:33
RichardThailand

If you didn't live in Thailand, had a high income then were else would you live in Asia?

If he was smart enough to make $260,000 a year, he must be smart enough to use Google.

So why exactly is he asking you? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

I might live in India or Cambodia. India has first-world hospitals. Cambodia has problems unless you have the funds to be airlifted to Singapore or Bangkok.

India has no retirement visa scheme.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I intend to be living in Viet Nam within the next 4 years when the kid finishes school.

But with that sort of income I'd live in Singapore.

Outside of Asia - Cyprus, Greece or Italy

with only US$260k income you can't obtain permission to live in Singapore. in Greece and Italy the taxman would claw nearly 50% of your income! back to reality please.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Naam said:

with only US$260k income you can't obtain permission to live in Singapore. in Greece and Italy the taxman would claw nearly 50% of your income! back to reality please.

Very true.  Unfortunately I many posters here seem unaware of how difficult it is to live in countries that have strict visa policies.  Money might buy a lot of things but it doesn't always buy people permission to retire in a country forever.  

5 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

If he was smart enough to make $260,000 a year, he must be smart enough to use Google.

Because I have the time to post and to sort through many replies and Google does not always give answers to everything 🙂 

• Confused 1

I would not stay anywhere.

With that sort of cabbage I'd move around with the high seasons.

Jan - Mar Aus,NZ or SE Asia

Apr - May Vietnam, Bali

Jun - Aug Europe/USA

Sep - Japan, Taiwan, HK

Oct - Dec , Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 4:24 PM, MaiChai said:

This is almost clickbait...

Exactly.

Prior to your post I wondered if he's writing travel articles and looking for material.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 3:14 AM, KhunFred said:

I might live in India or Cambodia. India has first-world hospitals. Cambodia has problems unless you have the funds to be airlifted to Singapore or Bangkok.

That is what worries me about Cambodia.

Sheryl has posted that the healthcare is not just subpar in Cambodia but dangerously bad.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Exactly.

Prior to your post I wondered if he's writing travel articles and looking for material.

Oh geez, I've been found out.  

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2018 at 8:41 PM, bwpage3 said:

My guess would be that he doesn't have the time to sit for hours in front of the computer using Google.

If the salary is high I would choose SIngapore. But its boring so would jump on a plane every weekend to Thailand. 

On 10/29/2018 at 1:22 PM, balo said:

If the salary is high I would choose SIngapore. But its boring so would jump on a plane every weekend to Thailand. 

yeah, me too...the place so clean that you can eat off the sidewalk, don't look like any place in asia that I know of and I was there over 20 years ago...

that bein' said the noodles are mighty fine at the cheap sidewalk eateries...some of the best food in SE Asia with chinese, malay and indian influences...beats thai food any day...

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 1:11 PM, ELVIS123456 said:

Winner!!   Singapore by a mile.   Japan is great, but there is very little 'farang' options and the culture is very 'singular' - best place to visit, but not best to live without a Japanese wife/GF.

There aint no better option in Asia when it comes to a high standard of living, law and order, banking system, medical system, food (being OK to eat), restaurants, transport (including the roads and airports themselves), entertainment, building construction, weather,  legal rights, land and property ownership is similar to Thailand but you can get residency in a few years and citizenship is possible (dual citizenship allowed), and I could go on and on.

English is the official language of Singapore.  Plus, it is a genuine 'hub' for airline transport and from there you can go anywhere in asia in a short time. 

Who qualifies? IIRC, Singapore doesn't have a long-stay visa option for retirees.