The risk you take running a RED traffic light

Grumpy Old Man

I want to share a video taken by my Vico V Car Camcorder. . . . . 

The risk you take running a RED traffic light; I could hear the motorcycle before I could see it and the video speaks volumes. . . . . 

If by chance this video is seen by the car driver or Police who want a copy for evidence purposes please "Private message myself" 

1. Am I right you ride on the wrong side (right) of the road for a long time, as so many foreigners and most Thai do? 
2. Am I right you do not help a person in need?
3. Am I right you run the red traffic light by yourself after the accident occurred?
If all 3 are a yes, shame on you, you're a big danger in traffic too.

2 hours ago, rainyday said:

1. Am I right you ride on the wrong side (right) of the road for a long time, as so many foreigners and most Thai do? 
3. Am I right you run the red traffic light by yourself after the accident occurred?

1) An urban road, at night, partially lit - Its safer to be in the right hand lane as not uncommon at all for motorcyclists (usually drunk) to pull out in to the road without looking, is also not uncommon to have unlit vehicles, motorcycles, sam-lors, or unlit parked trucks etc. Many drivers in Thailand would adopt this 'safer' approach and drive in the right lane for very good reason. The only additional risk of driving in the right lane is proximity to oncoming traffic doing the same thing. 

2) There were already plenty of Thai's on the scene, an additional 'foreigner' would only confuse the issue. What was the Op to do? While we don't know the extent of the motorcyclists injuries it wasn't a major 'impact' accident.

3) Yep, the Op went through a red light. He didn't 'run' the red light which would imply approaching the junction at normal speed and ignoring it. The Op followed other cars through the red light with caution as traffic in all directions had already stopped for the accident. While not right, it was hardly a 'big danger'.

It seems your post is an unnecessary attempt to shoot down the Op more than anything else.

richard_smith237; You try to defend the OP. OK for me however, OP is at fault 3 times in 2 minutes. 

-Try to convince a policeman in your country that it is better to drive on the wrong side of the road (whatever excuses you may give him)...... post your own guess of the rate of success pls.

-I do not see plenty of Thais. OP was just there when it happened but he waited and did do nothing. It's on his dashcam,  it happened just in front of him at not too many people/cars at that moment. Same goes to convince a policeman in your country.

- You do not pass a red traffic light in your country right? Heave fines. So again, talk to the policeman in your country and post your own guess of success rate. 

My point is that foreigners behave different here than in their home countries. Some even not pass the grey zone as they change white for black and black for white immediately. I am here for 20 years + and I notice it every day. Believe me, 20 years ago Chiang Mai was a much better place to live. CM is spoiled by foreigners for a big part. Now the farangs talking the Chinese and how bad they behave. Same same but different.

I'm fighting through my last days as I move out of Thailand. Reason? Partly due of what is written above.

Stay healthy, safe.

1 hour ago, rainyday said:

richard_smith237; You try to defend the OP. OK for me however, OP is at fault 3 times in 2 minutes. 

-Try to convince a policeman in your country that it is better to drive on the wrong side of the road (whatever excuses you may give him)...... post your own guess of the rate of success pls.

-I do not see plenty of Thais. OP was just there when it happened but he waited and did do nothing. It's on his dashcam,  it happened just in front of him at not too many people/cars at that moment. Same goes to convince a policeman in your country.

- You do not pass a red traffic light in your country right? Heave fines. So again, talk to the policeman in your country and post your own guess of success rate. 

My point is that foreigners behave different here than in their home countries. Some even not pass the grey zone as they change white for black and black for white immediately. I am here for 20 years + and I notice it every day. Believe me, 20 years ago Chiang Mai was a much better place to live. CM is spoiled by foreigners for a big part. Now the farangs talking the Chinese and how bad they behave. Same same but different.

I'm fighting through my last days as I move out of Thailand. Reason? Partly due of what is written above.

Stay healthy, safe.

rainyday... We're not in the UK - thus, its quite irrelevant what a Policeman in the UK would say. 

In a perfect Thailand in similar circumstances we would be driving in the left lane, no bikes would pull out without looking, there would be nothing parked in the road, driving in the left lane would not be more dangerous than driving in the right hand lane.

On such a road (in Thailand) it is most certainly more dangerous to be on the inside (left most) lane. 

So... No, I can't fault the Op for this - his actions are that of someone experienced on the roads in Thailand, a newbie on the other hand may well be driving on the inside lane on a poorly lit street and learn the hard way. 

I also can't really blame the Op for not getting out and helping. 

The Motorcycle comes off his bike a 00:27 seconds in the video. The Op brings his car to a halt at 0:30 seconds by which time another motorbike has passed the Ops car, a Pickup also passes the Ops car and at 0:32 seconds another motorcycle... Within 5 seconds the Op is the 4th vehicle at the scene. 

Within 23 seconds someone is already attending to the injured Motorcyclist. I'm not sure what the Op could have done unless he had medical training and spoke fluent Thai.

The Op clearly hesitated by which time others were attending. I'm not blaming the Op for this, I'm really not sure what help he could have been. 

We never know what we would do in the same situation. I would like to think I would have got out an assisted. I have in the past under similar circumstances (in Thailand), but there was no one else around (for the first 30 seconds or so) and I have basic medical training. I helped keep the IP comfortable (as possible) until the ambulance arrived. I didn't have to do much, just ensured the basics - ABC and made sure the IP remained stationary as he regained conciousness... I also organized others to control traffic (people were very helpful). 

The Op did go through a red light... So, yes... 1 wrong out of your suggested 3... But again, I don't see this as a major issue given the specific situation. 

Regarding your point that foreigners behave differently here [than they would in their own countries], I assume you are referring to driving behavior. I suspect this to be true. However I would consider it more of an adaption. We have to adapt our driving here, many people have written so on this forum and I agree.... Driving as we do in the UK could potentially be quite difficult here, we're left with little choice but to adapt. This doesn't mean we should become more aggressive, take more chances or drive dangerously, but we should recognise that the driving is different and adapt accordingly... It would seem pretty daft not.

I guess there are those who have failed to adapt where necessary (not just to driving) and as a consequence Thailand is not their cup of tea. But, I'd also suggest that the shining example of perfection no longer exists back home for it was just a series of filtered memories and many of the same frustrations exist at home, its just less of a them and us attitude which tends to prevent some of the more negative issues from allowing the bitterness borne of a superiority complex to manifest. 

Rainyday, where is the op driving on the wrong side of the road before the accident, if he was going to turn right further along the road he was in the correct lane, even if he wasnt he is allowed to drive in the centre lane. My wifes  cousin is a higher ranking police officer, he has told me that I should never stop at an accident I am not involved in several times over the years, my wife insists on the same thing and she has made me drive past an accident  on more than one occasion, I do believe both of these people would be more up on what to do than a farang. There were other cars going through the red light as well, while not legal they were getting around the bike and rider to clear the road, no other cars with green lights were moving as the injured rider was in their way, common sense really for the ones that could move to do so safely. Can definitely see why you are leaving Thailand, you should be happy back home with all like minded people

Reading your replies: that is exactly why I move out.

For your attention:

- Yes, I DO drive always on the left side in Thailand. Probably a million miles over the last 20 years as I drive much more than all of you (perhaps even together). No single accident.
- Yes, I DO stop and help. About 5 times. I even forced a busdriver, who was crazy driving a fully loaded bus, to stop. And some minivans, one in front of a police station. Police came to see and requested the minivan driver to drive less reckless. I know of two farangs, being involved in a traffic accident, that could have used help which they did not get.

Keep on finding excuses after doing the wrong things. Amen.

23 hours ago, rainyday said:

1) no correct side of the road, look at the double lines, outside lane.

2) prudently stopping short, and within about 10 seconds others are already assisting.

3) crossing against the red light with cross traffic stopped is hardly running the red light.

SWMBO's comments, if in the same situation 100% correct actions by the foreigner driving the camara car, only concern crossing the red light but as cross traffic is stopped no problem.

On 9/9/2018 at 2:50 AM, CharlieH said:

An all too common occurrence, sadly.

Good clear camera footage from the dashcam, another "must have" these days.

Spot on Crossy, dash cam is a must these days, now i even have a hidden camera on my mobility scooter.

Recently on a visit to big C, i was travelling on the hard shoulder, a pickup was coming the wrong way on the dual carriageway, driver was demanding i go out into the traffic to let him pass.

No way was i risking that, driver got very angry with me, silly sod even tried pushing my scooter into the roadway.

Luckily 1 of Thailands finest appeared, and sorted out the driver, that is why i fitted a camera.

On 9/9/2018 at 7:54 AM, rainyday said:

AmI right most Thais drive at so slow a rate of speed and constantly park in the left lane blocking traffic that the only sensible place to drive is in the right lane? If the answer is yes then you not recognizing this fact are one of the problems with driving in Thailand

On 9/9/2018 at 7:54 AM, rainyday said:

Am I right you do not help a person in need?

Thailand does not have Good Samaritan laws.

If you are not licensed to give first aid and emergency care, a registered nurse or doctor (whom are required by law to provide aid), you expose yourself to potential lawsuits. Being a foreigner brings double jeopardy in Thailand given xenophobic biases in the country.

Several Thais were present to the accident so no reason to one's personal risk to be directly involved.

Albeit, many untrained people's first reaction to such accidents is to sit up or stand the injured person - a sure way to complicate injuries. Might be best to leave the scene before becoming a witness to further injury.

On 9/9/2018 at 10:19 AM, richard_smith237 said:

1) An urban road, at night, partially lit - Its safer to be in the right hand lane as not uncommon at all for motorcyclists (usually drunk) to pull out in to the road without looking, is also not uncommon to have unlit vehicles, motorcycles, sam-lors, or unlit parked trucks etc. Many drivers in Thailand would adopt this 'safer' approach and drive in the right lane for very good reason. The only additional risk of driving in the right lane is proximity to oncoming traffic doing the same thing. 

2) There were already plenty of Thai's on the scene, an additional 'foreigner' would only confuse the issue. What was the Op to do? While we don't know the extent of the motorcyclists injuries it wasn't a major 'impact' accident.

3) Yep, the Op went through a red light. He didn't 'run' the red light which would imply approaching the junction at normal speed and ignoring it. The Op followed other cars through the red light with caution as traffic in all directions had already stopped for the accident. While not right, it was hardly a 'big danger'.

It seems your post is an unnecessary attempt to shoot down the Op more than anything else.

So you "create" your own traffic rules too ? Biggest respect ...

29 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Got an in-law who is a Lt with the RTP.  He told me a long time ago -NEVER EVER stop to help in an accident. Reason being, as a farang, a way to blame me would be found.  

I think that one has been pushed around the forums, rewashed, regurgitated and finally put to bed... 

In previous threads, discussion on this very issue has arisen. There have been a couple of posters who admitted to stopping and helping to find someone 'attempting to scam them'.... There were more posters who have stopped and helped without issue (I am one of those who have stopped and helped without issue). Then there were a lot of posters who suggested it would be dangerous based on 'hearsay'... i.e. something they heard in a bar, something their wife said, something a Thai told them etc... 

I still believe this is just one of the many myths born in Thailand which seems to be spread from a barstool or forums such as this, but rarely do we have any fact behind the story. There are always one or two third hand anecdotal stories to perpetuate the myth... the truths get left behind. 

And... Farang is always to blame? I think some may find themselves facing a little heat and melt down too quickly under the pressure of a chanced accusation. We know there are dodgy people out there, police too, who will take a chance and squeezing us (a foreigner), but these guys are also well aware they are chancing and disappear quickly when ignored. 

2 minutes ago, 0815 said:

So you "create" your own traffic rules too ? Biggest respect ...

?????.... Where have I 'created' traffic rules...  ?

I have pointed out how others may adapt to the conditions and drive in the right hand lane of poorly lit urban road (when the road has two lanes in each direction) - this is common sense and safety in Thailand and has nothing to do with 'creating traffic rules'... 

Do you drive here ?

On 9/9/2018 at 1:54 AM, rainyday said:

The 'shoot the messenger' post of the day award goes to...

Kind of ironic that the guy filming a red-light runner runs a red light. Whether you blast through at speed or slowly drive through makes no difference. And if the film had continued and we saw a car crossing with green light t-bone the filming car, then what would we think?

An accident scene is the last place you want to stop following basic rules.

As far as farang being blamed for helping out - can anyone cite a verifiable example of this or is it just all BS. I personally could not pass by an accident scene if I thought I could help someone.

Archived