PM wants Thai waste reduced

rooster59

PM wants Thai waste reduced

Thammarat Thadaphrom

plastic.jpg

BANGKOK, 8th September 2018 (NNT) – Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has called for public participation in reducing waste, especially plastic pollution, at various tourist sites across the country. 

Gen Prayut said this week that a campaign has been launched to create environmental awareness and encourage tourists to share responsibility for natural resources and the environment. 

The public and private sectors, as well as the people’s sector, are joining a project for plastic and garbage management on a sustainable basis. All relevant government agencies, such as the Ministry of Natural Resources and the Environment, the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, and the Ministry of the Interior, have been asked to get rid of as much waste as possible. 

As Thailand faces the problem of garbage collection and disposal, Gen Prayut stressed the need for the public sector to provide local communities with information about effective waste separation. Waste management must be emphasized to make greater use of garbage. More than 300 waste incinerators are to be built in 77 provinces in Thailand. 

The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation is encouraging visitors to reduce consumption of single-use plastics at all 154 national parks in Thailand. This initiative covers plastic and foam bags, food containers, capped water bottles, and utensils – essentially any item that is typically used once and then discarded. 

The campaign against single-use plastics by the department was seen as a major move in the right direction to protect Thailand’s natural and scenic beauty now and in the future. A series of banners, in Thai in the initial stage, has been produced to help spread awareness of the initiative at the country’s national parks. These encourage people to think of the harm the plastics they throw away will do to the environment, and to act instead in an environmentally friendly way. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-09-09

14 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Gen Prayut said this week that a campaign has been launched to create environmental awareness and encourage tourists to share responsibility for natural resources and the environment. 

Problem solved, 30 million tourist arrivals to clean up Thailand's trash......Is'nt that reason people travel, to take responsibility for others rubbish?

All the right noises. But a shame that it's just that, noise.

Go to any Thai market, shop, or supermarket and see how the locals use plastic without even a second thought.

If they want to think outside the box, they could get some of these celebs they've bought to make reusable bags, cups and the like more fashionable.

On a somewhat positive note the Yeti cups and tumblers )for example) are hugely popular and that can only be a good thing, yet only a miniscule step in the right direction

He needs to start with the shops using thousands of plastic bags a day. Tops have had a use your own bag campaign but seem to have given it up. This week I saw a cahier putting packs of water, already wrapped in plastic, in 2x carriers. That was an extra 20 for the dump just there x millions a year. Thais appear to be totally ignorant about plastic pollution.

I always carry a large plastic bag with me whether I'm going shopping or not, I'm English and a bag of some description is taken with you when you go shopping. Now here in Thailand the shop assistant will put the items in a plastic bag before putting them into my bag ,it's a normal thing for them to do.I have to tell them now to put the items into my bag

13 minutes ago, Percy P said:

I always carry a large plastic bag with me whether I'm going shopping or not, I'm English and a bag of some description is taken with you when you go shopping. Now here in Thailand the shop assistant will put the items in a plastic bag before putting them into my bag ,it's a normal thing for them to do.I have to tell them now to put the items into my bag

Yes; been doing this now for the last three years using Tesco&Asda 'Bags for Life' we brought from England but the girls here are just not trained by Supermarkets or are forever ignorant of the plastics problems.  It's taken us three years to 'educate' the local market traders to put things straight into our bags and not in carrier bags first.

People go on about the rubbish education system in Thailand and of course they are right but my word; Thai people generally seem to be very hard of learning even very basic things.  That is unless they are learning a new scam or any way to extort money for doing as little as possible....then they learn fast !

Yesterday, in our bar I told the wife that we should stop buying the styrofoam bowls that we use one time only for food during a pool game night.  I mentioned the environmental impact of these, and the fact that Makro sold paper ones for just a few Baht more. Her reply was that it was ok as we threw them into the garbage bin, and not on the street...........:huh:....Methinks that I have an uphill struggle coming up.....:sad:

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Problem solved, 30 million tourist arrivals to clean up Thailand's trash......Is'nt that reason people travel, to take responsibility for others rubbish?

As the signs are going to be in Thai, why would you think he meant foreign tourists ? Thais can be domestic tourists you know ! And as they are clearly the worst offender it’s pretty clear who the campaign is aimed at ..... Thais !

Archived