BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

PM wants Thai waste reduced

1 hour ago, Darcula said:

Atleast they're recycling all the garbage they spout. We keep hearing the same things every week.

Yeah but this time it was a different campaign:

b5b2db83-4da9-4427-be49-f1241540281d_zps

Just words, any action to solve the problem is not populist, and could endanger the success of the election for the junta and there allied parties.

He needs to start with the shops using thousands of plastic bags a day. Tops have had a use your own bag campaign but seem to have given it up. This week I saw a cahier putting packs of water, already wrapped in plastic, in 2x carriers. That was an extra 20 for the dump just there x millions a year. Thais appear to be totally ignorant about plastic pollution.

I always carry a large plastic bag with me whether I'm going shopping or not, I'm English and a bag of some description is taken with you when you go shopping. Now here in Thailand the shop assistant will put the items in a plastic bag before putting them into my bag ,it's a normal thing for them to do.I have to tell them now to put the items into my bag

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Waste management must be emphasized to make greater use of garbage. More than 300 waste incinerators are to be built in 77 provinces in Thailand. 

So much for recycling.

When i was out riding my Bike this morning i witnessed more 'Public participation' ,as there were several new large bags of trash had been dumped by the roadsides during the night !

Start with  all those in office, then the army ( huge amount of  waste  there) then the Police  ditto

13 minutes ago, Percy P said:

I always carry a large plastic bag with me whether I'm going shopping or not, I'm English and a bag of some description is taken with you when you go shopping. Now here in Thailand the shop assistant will put the items in a plastic bag before putting them into my bag ,it's a normal thing for them to do.I have to tell them now to put the items into my bag

Yes; been doing this now for the last three years using Tesco&Asda 'Bags for Life' we brought from England but the girls here are just not trained by Supermarkets or are forever ignorant of the plastics problems.  It's taken us three years to 'educate' the local market traders to put things straight into our bags and not in carrier bags first.

People go on about the rubbish education system in Thailand and of course they are right but my word; Thai people generally seem to be very hard of learning even very basic things.  That is unless they are learning a new scam or any way to extort money for doing as little as possible....then they learn fast !

7 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Start with  all those in office, then the army ( huge amount of  waste  there) then the Police  ditto

They should be the first to go head first into the new incinerators !

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

More than 300 waste incinerators are to be built in 77 provinces in Thailand. 

Stuff air pollution seems to be the message with that one ..

Yesterday, in our bar I told the wife that we should stop buying the styrofoam bowls that we use one time only for food during a pool game night.  I mentioned the environmental impact of these, and the fact that Makro sold paper ones for just a few Baht more. Her reply was that it was ok as we threw them into the garbage bin, and not on the street...........:huh:....Methinks that I have an uphill struggle coming up.....:sad:

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Problem solved, 30 million tourist arrivals to clean up Thailand's trash......Is'nt that reason people travel, to take responsibility for others rubbish?

As the signs are going to be in Thai, why would you think he meant foreign tourists ? Thais can be domestic tourists you know ! And as they are clearly the worst offender it’s pretty clear who the campaign is aimed at ..... Thais !

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

They should be the first to go head first into the new incinerators !

Feet first, its  more painful?

But that would mean getting rid of the police,government ministries,the military and ALL of those 700+ useless generals.