PM wants Thai waste reduced

rooster59

I see the foreigners rightfully blame Thai population of using tons of plastic.

99% of the foreigners I see at the cashier, be it at 7, tops or any other supermarket let their goods put into countless plastic bags as well. I am always the only one with a rucksack or boxes to put in bakery or other solutions in order to leave without a single plastic bag...

Making a series of non-reusable plastic banners, most likely figure is in thousands, is a very good start. People up there are just not serious. What a pity for the country and its people, expats included. Taxing plastic and banning it would do miracles along with a proper education. What am I talking about. To early for a century. ;(  at list.

Take a leaf from tried and tested results in most civilised countries. Start with education, education and more education, at school, media, adverts, then at least somewhere to dispose of rubbish. It works, dont pass the buck on the tourists, it happens in nakon nowhere as well.

Perhaps the good leader should just go all-out and ban: plastic bottles, polystyrene foam food/drink containers, all other plastic food type packaging along with the never ending Thai love affair with the plastic bag!!!!

Force manufacturers to come up with and supply bio-degradable alternatives or go out of business !!

Give the Thai consumers not an alternative but another packaging solution !!

14 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Problem solved, 30 million tourist arrivals to clean up Thailand's trash......Is'nt that reason people travel, to take responsibility for others rubbish?

Working without work permit?

Jail sentence or pay!

Complain to the media?

Computer crime and ban for life!

Ko phu na kaa

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Gen Prayut said this week that a campaign has been launched to create environmental awareness and encourage tourists to share responsibility for natural resources and the environment. 

Never mind the tourists,  they're not the problem as most people know.  As usual trying to dilute responsibility.

The easy way and style: blame the foreigners (tourists) and the awarness of them for the garbage problem.

It would be better Mr Prayut to AWARE THAIS AND CHANCE THE WAY TO USE PLASTIC IN THAILAND very quick as some things can be easy done!

TEACH AND TRAIN THAIS; THEY ARE WASTING AND DESTROING THIS COUNTRY!!!!!

8 hours ago, HHTel said:

Never mind the tourists,  they're not the problem as most people know.  As usual trying to dilute responsibility.

Let’s do the maths

65 million Thais x 365 days per year

35 million tourists x 20 days per year

That’s 

23,725,000,000 plastic days versus 

700,000,000 plastic days. 

Thais 97% contribution 

Tourists 3% contribution 

21 hours ago, Tailwagsdog said:

1-5 baht refund per bottle, added to the sale will clean up the problem in 5 minutes

Agreed.  I carefully sort my waste into recyclables & other stuff.  The binmen toss both bags (re-used from Tesco) into their cart - weighing it in is not worth their time.

Tops, yesterday: 3 bananas (who come with some kind of natural packing)...in a plastic bag...put into a plastic bag at the register!

A 4pack of joghurt (wrapped in plastic and with 4 plastic spoons) didn't keep the cashier from handing me another 4 spoons!

It is soooooo hopeless!

2 hours ago, DM07 said:

Tops, yesterday: 3 bananas (who come with some kind of natural packing)...in a plastic bag...put into a plastic bag at the register!

A 4pack of joghurt (wrapped in plastic and with 4 plastic spoons) didn't keep the cashier from handing me another 4 spoons!

It is soooooo hopeless!

And it will remain hopeless as long as 'check-out' people are bagging the stuff up and people like yourself are accepting them.

So refuse the damn things.  It's not compulsory to accept a plastic bag.  I very rarely do.

13 minutes ago, HHTel said:

And it will remain hopeless as long as 'check-out' people are bagging the stuff up and people like yourself are accepting them.

So refuse the damn things.  It's not compulsory to accept a plastic bag.  I very rarely do.

Ooooooh...I can refuse it?

I don't have to take it?

Damn...thanks for this great advice- I would never have guessed...

I AM REFUSING!

The point is, I am going there daily!

It's the same guys, every damn day!

And it happens every damn day!

I am really happy, that I have conditioned the little #@$%^& not to hand me separate bags for 1 bottle of dishwasher- liquid, toothpaste and batteries and another one for cookies, joghurt and sausages... 

12 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Perhaps you might be more successful by refusing to pay for the items put in a plastic bag. As long as the staff understand why, they would soon remove the bag if they realised it would cause them more hassle.

I bet they'll learn quicker that way.

If the supervisor gets involved and is on the cashier's side, I have found that threatening to phone the head office always works well (regarding other matters in my case).

2 hours ago, DM07 said:

It is soooooo hopeless!

Well done if you are refusing.  However, you didn't say that in your post.

The staff in my local 7/11 don't bother to give me plastic bags any more as I always have a couple of re-usable cloth bags with me. The local supermarket is the same. I have a couple of big red re-usable bags from BigC that I take in there and the only plastic bags I use are for fresh meat. My cloth bags came from Makro but for some strange reason they have been discontinued.

I have 2 bins next to where the truck is parked, both with big plastic bin liners, one for all the plastic bottles and the other for rubbish in the car. The kids do their part without being told now. We use a salvage guy about once a month and he takes all the glass, plastic bottles, cardboard, paper etc and we make 20 or 30 baht every time he calls.

• 4 weeks later...

Was in Central Market in BKK the other day, and saw this sign re the Central and Tops markets' plastic bag reduction program:

1976631638_CentralFoodHallRecycling2018.jpg.b7afe5a0d7ad0dcc16affe74e3d23201.jpg

Wow! Like one day out of the month really is going to make a big difference, or get the average Thai to start changing their plastic addiction habits.  Of course, on all the other days of the month, the bag packers and checkers are dispensing plastic bags like they're getting a pay hike for every one handed out.

BTW, has anyone else run into this???

We buy some carbonated drinking water bottles that are imported from outside Thailand, and come in 1.5 or 2 L bottle sizes, typically with plastic bottles that are green in color.

And yet, when I try to GIVE them to the local recycler folks around my BKK neighborhood, they don't want them/won't take them, claiming they'll only take clear plastic bottles, not colored ones.

And yet, I've seen some larger commercial recycling center price lists here that show payment rates for both clear and colored plastic....

Back home, I know, it's just as easy to recycle green bottles and clear bottles. But here, apparently not.

Archived