Thai police warn public: Be careful what you share - jail time awaits

webfact

Thai police warn public: Be careful what you share - jail time awaits

1pm.jpg

Picture: Manager online

The Thai tech police have warned the public that there are consequences for posting and sharing fake news.

Five years in jail and fines up to 100,000 baht to be precise.

Pol Col Siriwat Deephor was speaking in the wake of a false story in which government lottery vendor "Peet" claimed that one of his customers won 90 million baht in the lottery.

Khok Kham police successful applied to the court for a warrant for his arrest.

Pol Col Siriwat said that the public should not just share anything they see without thinking about its veracity.

People should use their judgement about sources of news and act with restraint.

Or they could find themselves behind bars or paying hefty fines.

In another high profile case recently many people were arrested for sharing news about the alleged Koh Tao rape case and two people are being sought for posting fake news.

Source: Manager online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-10

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, webfact said:

Pol Col Siriwat said that the public should not just share anything they see without thinking about its veracity.

Based on this, I shall never again read, believe, talk about or share anything coming from certain sources from a certain place about certain people.  

recently many people were arrested for sharing news about the alleged Koh Tao rape case

why? even if untrue (who knows?) it's a legitimate public interest story and 'alledged' may be used as it is world-wide

this policeman paranoid methinks and publicity hungry

50 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

recently many people were arrested for sharing news about the alleged Koh Tao rape case

I think they're right, spreading dissent is only harmful to the country.

Everyone knows the danger of Koh Tao, go there at your own risk, and don't complain if you ignore the risk and get caught out.

If you don't like the way they do things here, move somewhere more to your liking.

33 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think they're right, spreading dissent is only harmful to the country.

Everyone knows the danger of Koh Tao, go there at your own risk, and don't complain if you ignore the risk and get caught out.

If you don't like the way they do things here, move somewhere more to your liking.

You say "everyone knows the danger of Koh Tao".   How would they know if the information had not been shared in the first place ?  ESP ?   Fortune Tellers ?

Or maybe you think information should only be shared by those of a closed,  delusional  and similar mindsets ?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Reading these lines, a certain face comes to mind. I know a guy who is making many very questionable claims in public. I would share a photo, but under these circumstances...

And this is all about KT the island of the peace and understanding. No mafias, no crimes, nothing wrong can happen there. 

How about the origin of some watches? Can I share? ... or the dates of the election?  ... or disappearance of some important persons emerging again abroad? 

3 hours ago, akirasan said:

What about fake election dates? ?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

On Tuesday 10th October 2017 I can remember someone saying:

"In November 2018 there will be an election. Is that clear".

My friend who said that to me was just repeating what he had heard on the news that day. I advised him it was bs and fake news and not to repeat it to anyone else otherwise he would likely be jailed.

Just how is one supposed to verify a news item? Seeing it on one source only might make you wait but the KT stories appear on multiple outlets.

Of course I should not be responding to this story because how do I know that guy pictured is actually in authority?

Archived