Thai teacher whacks 11 year old 28 times in front of the school chums, claims mum

webfact

Thai teacher whacks 11 year old 28 times in front of the school chums, claims mum

4pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A Thai mother in Ang Thong has gone to the media for justice after she claimed that her 11 year old grade five daughter had been assaulted 28 times in front of 100 other students.

Her crime?

She had done nothing. But her three year sibling had failed to throw a chicken essence bottle in the trash so it was decided to punish the elder sister.

The school in Pa Moke district announced to students that the public punishment would take place. It was decided to administer 35 strokes - one for each baht that the little bottle of essence cost.

The student "Koy" didn't tell her mum about the beating but she found out from a friend's parent who said that 28 strokes were in fact given.

She said it was administered by a teacher of grades P1-P3.

Furious Angkhana, 29, went to the local education authority after the attack on August 30th.

The school director and the teacher concerned were called in. The teacher was transferred to inactive duties but was back teaching at the school as if nothing had happened after two days.

None of the children who witnessed the beating wanted to go in to school after that but Angkhana was worried that her daughter would suffer as a result so she sent her in.

Sanook went to the school and spoke to the teacher who denied the severity of their actions saying no teacher wants to hit students.

The teacher said they had apologized for it but no one wanted to listen.

Asked if the beating happened in public in front of 100 students the teacher clammed up completely.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-10

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking back on it, when I was a young boy,and got the cane

quite often,i think some of the teachers were getting off, on

the caneing, sadistic bastards,sometimes with the lie,this

is going to hurt me,more than you.

Once again in this case the school is taking the side of the

teacher,instead of protecting the Children.nothing changes.

regards Worgeordie

The child did nothing wrong. Did people miss the part where the girl was punished for something a young sibling did? There can be no excuse made. The  attacker and the principal who has condoned this violent assault must be arrested and charged with criminal assault.

They won't be I know. Therefore, the question I ask and it is  not  in jest, is whether or not it is permissible to disable these people to prevent them from engaging in additional criminal assaults, since the  education authority refuses to protect the children.

The mindset is so wrong, pathetic, the younger child should have only been told, pick it up and put it in the bin,dont do it again.

That Innocent older child must have been traumatized, sick pathetic loss of face  crap, i hope the father has a word and does the same to the teacher in front of the whole school.         

And now let's have a survey with Thai parents, especially in rural areas, if they think teachers should be allowed to hit children.

If the majority of parents wouldn't allow this to happen then it wouldn't happen.

But it seems too many Thais, and not only Thais, think punishment like that is acceptable.

These abuses occur because the behaviour of teachers is unchecked. There are no negative consequences for the teacher.

The behaviour is unchecked because the system is designed so the only restraining power is the Director of the local Education Department. If the action does not directly impact on him, no effective action will be taken.

The Director of the local Education Department takes no action as he is head of a large group of people who raise income effectively on his behalf and funnel it up to him through the hierarchy. If their co-operation is removed, he would find himself living on a pittance of an income and probably in massive debt.

So, the reason there are no systems in place to prevent these abuses or punish those involved when they happen is corruption. I am sure this is of no consolation to the 11-year-old who was beaten in front of the school.

44 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And now let's have a survey with Thai parents, especially in rural areas, if they think teachers should be allowed to hit children.

If the majority of parents wouldn't allow this to happen then it wouldn't happen.

But it seems too many Thais, and not only Thais, think punishment like that is acceptable.

Well yes, but unfortunately many parents think it's the teachers job to teach discipline.

And again unfortunately many parents fall back on the above attitude, they don't want to do the discipline because they are frightened their children won't love them.  

All of the above is the standard attitude of 99% of my outer circle family.  

However punishing the older sibling for the actions of the younger is way outside this point and totally unacceptable.

1 hour ago, moontang said:

the article dances around the assailants gender, indicating it is a female teacher.

Very sad as a father of daughters I would be outraged and wouldn't rest until the teacher was sacked.

The mother will have to reprimand if it's a female teacher and get other student mothers for support.

Doesn't sound like anyone official will.

If my son is cheeky, naughty or anything at school, then a clip round the ear is fine. Didn't do me any harm as a kid.

However the teachers at the school are acutely aware that if they ever give him any kind of 'beating', there will be an 'issue' that I will deal with personally..!!

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Well yes, but unfortunately many parents think it's the teachers job to teach discipline.

And again unfortunately many parents fall back on the above attitude, they don't want to do the discipline because they are frightened their children won't love them.  

All of the above is the standard attitude of 99% of my outer circle family.  

However punishing the older sibling for the actions of the younger is way outside this point and totally unacceptable.

There's a big difference between discipline and outright violence.

In cases like this, these schools should be named and shamed, regardless of threats of defamation.

It would certainly change the attitude of the directors if cases of 'assault' (ABH) like this were made public and force the education authorities to act instead of covering up as they are prone to do.

...and the lesson for the 100 students attending this teachers personal S&M show is:

"if things are not going your way- beat them up"

this will help you to become a master in domestic violence and an expert road rage warrior.

Who says education doesn't work here? Just look at the results. 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You can have my vote. I am 100% against it.

My son is now 14 and in M2 at a district school and AFAIK he has never had corporal punishment at this or any other school that he has been to.

What the teacher did was illegal and been deemed so by the ministry of Education. It is also a criminal offence and as such the teacher should be suspended immediately and investigated. If she is guilty then she should be jailed and her teaching licence revoked for life.

Corporal punishment acceptable? In the 19th and twentieth century it was. This however is the 21st century.

Sadly this practise is commonplace here in Thailand. My son was subjected to this in a private school & I did not get any truthful answers from the school governor. I just removed my son from the class & immediately took him to another school. It meant more travel, but no one seems to want to accept the responsibility, nor promises of no further incidents of this kind as it seems to come into the catagory of "Loss of Face". I do think that the education authority of Thailand should take action, definitely not the school .......... it must not be allowed it to be "swept under the  the carpet" each time it occurs with a "Wai" & reimbursement of school fees etc.. It's a serious crime & should be recognised as such & dealt with immediately by the Thai education authorities ........... It must be said that, "hotheads are in abundance" here, even in our infant schools! It's a sad fact of life & really a blight on our society here ..... very upsetting. 

4 minutes ago, Daveyh said:

Sadly this practise is commonplace here in Thailand. My son was subjected to this in a private school & I did not get any truthful answers from the school governor. I just removed my son from the class & immediately took him to another school. It meant more travel, but no one seems to want to accept the responsibility, nor promises of no further incidents of this kind as it seems to come into the catagory of "Loss of Face". I do think that the education authority of Thailand should take action, definitely not the school .......... it must not be allowed it to be "swept under the  the carpet" each time it occurs with a "Wai" & reimbursement of school fees etc.. It's a serious crime & should be recognised as such & dealt with immediately by the Thai education authorities ........... It must be said that, "hotheads are in abundance" here, even in our infant schools! It's a sad fact of life & really a blight on our society here ..... very upsetting. 

Regarding punishment ................. it's the parents that should teach the children how to behave & respect one another. It's not the teacher's job to punish children ..... suspension from school should be. Let parents take the full responsibility ....... it's the only way.

14 minutes ago, Daveyh said:

Regarding punishment ................. it's the parents that should teach the children how to behave & respect one another. It's not the teacher's job to punish children ..... suspension from school should be. Let parents take the full responsibility ....... it's the only way.

I partially agree...  a parent ought to instil discipline, teach their child how to behave and respect each other. The teacher needs to maintain this order and apply 'reasonable' punishment where necessary in order to maintain discipline in the classroom. 

There are times a teacher may need to discipline and punish a child (with reasonable boundaries) and this should receive the full support of the parents, however at no time should this discipline ever involve in any way or form physical punishment or something considered to be mentally traumatic. 

I rely on these experts (Teachers) to act professionally and bring out the best in my child's abilities, I pay for this and have high expectations which to date have been met. This does not absolve me from the responsibilities of education and discipline as a parent, however, the shared roll is an important one in the development of a child.  

Any form of physical punishment by a teacher is unacceptable in the extreme and will always be dealt with in the most serious manner should my child ever face such issues. 

Given the subject of this Op: hitting my child 28 times would lead to immediate legal proceedings against the school and serious charges against the teacher. I would not rest until this teacher was removed from being able to hurt another child again. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I partially agree...  a parent needs instil discipline, how to behave and respect each other, and the teacher needs to maintain this order and apply 'reasonable' punishment where necessary.

There are times a teacher may need to discipline and punish a child (with reasonable boundaries) and this should receive the full support of the parents, however at no time should this discipline ever involve in any way or form physical punishment or something considered to be mentally traumatic. 

I rely on these experts (Teachers) to act professionally and bring out the best in my child's abilities, I pay for this and have high expectations which to date have been met. This does not absolve me from the responsibilities of education and discipline as a parent, however, the shared roll is an important one in the development of a child.  

Any form of physical punishment by a teacher is unacceptable in the extreme and will always be dealt with in the most serious manner should my child ever face such issues. 

Given the subject of this Op: hitting my child 28 times would lead to immediate legal proceedings against the school and serious charges against the teacher. I would not rest until this teacher was removed from being able to hurt another child again. 

I partially agree with what you say too .............. but the disipline & respect for others begins in the home from their first breath. I think teachers here have a difficult job ............ the 'mindset' thoughout Thailand is different & my take is that parents do not instil disipline & order in their children ............... only within family & home. They do seem to leave it up to others & not welcome criticism of any kind

Archived