"Guitar King" collides with Thai woman on way to gig at Walking Street

webfact

12 hours ago, Spidey said:

I'd put him down as a very average pub guitarist by UK standards. Have a mate who plays gigs in his spare time. Makes lam Morrison look like Mary Hopkins.

I tend to agree, his fame has a lot to do with his longevity. He certainly looks right, plays slide with a beer bottle, has the guitar, amp and effects sounds all sorted, and pulls off all the 70s rock guitarist clichés very impressively (authentic too as he's been doing it since back then).

Artistically though I always felt he falls a bit short - his timing is often sloppy and his solos involve recycling certain licks again and again regardless of the song, without any real improvisational skills coming out. He's a local legend ok, but you'll also find other guitarists that are better, even on Walking Street on the same night. 

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Bar guitarists on Walking Street in Pattaya drive BMW 325's???

Either the tips are better than expected, or, maybe he's giving guitar lessons on the side...   :blink:

Or maybe he's been working for 50 years and has saved his money. Many, many Thai people appear poor, but they rarely spend their income on extravagances such as foreign holidays and so have lots of money in the bank. You'd be surprised how many poor-looking Thais, even in professions such as selling noodles, are pretty rich. I know one noodle seller who owns three houses. They save, not spend.

Lam Morrison, a beer bar player is in some way comparable to Keith Richards? I wouldn't have thought so. Unless it's just their ages you are comparing. 

Not really comparing him with Keith Richards, I thought my comment in brackets would be self explanatory !

But let’s get it into perspective:

The guy is obviously good at what he does, okay he’s no Jimi or Rory etc etc but he has a great following from locals and tourists alike.
He’s found a niche, obviously aided by his proficiency and experience.

Okay, he would be unwise to start out on a US stadium tour but I reckon he makes a decent living from something he obviously loves to do.

He’s a crowd puller !!, he uses the bottle for the slide guitar and the contemporary licks to his advantage but that is a skill in itself.

People visit WS for the atmosphere ( okay maybe the ladyboy shows and other alleged attractions that are on offer also ), to have a good time and the guy delivers.

Good luck to him I say .

19 hours ago, atyclb said:

theres many guitarists that are good but usually they play the same riffs over and over again from a list most requested by farang customers.  ac/dc,  hotel california, etc etc.  very few will play joe satriani stuff because # not in high demand . # very technically challenging . aka really difficult.   if you go the youtube page of the jack thammarat you will see global praise for this cover and his ability. the majority from outside of thailand.  just a handful are able to do this cover and that covers the globe

Apparently you don't know Chiang Mai and the Night life there,...There are guitar players that play Jimmy Hendrix, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton,..Etc...Haven't heard "Hotel California for a few years now,..!?

2 minutes ago, off road pat said:
19 hours ago, atyclb said:

theres many guitarists that are good but usually they play the same riffs over and over again from a list most requested by farang customers.  ac/dc,  hotel california, etc etc.  very few will play joe satriani stuff because # not in high demand . # very technically challenging . aka really difficult.   if you go the youtube page of the jack thammarat you will see global praise for this cover and his ability. the majority from outside of thailand.  just a handful are able to do this cover and that covers the globe

Apparently you don't know Chiang Mai and the Night life there,...There are guitar players that play Jimmy Hendrix, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton,..Etc...Haven't heard "Hotel California for a few years now,..!?

yeah but typically the same songs over and over commonly requested ones. 

9 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I tend to agree, his fame has a lot to do with his longevity. He certainly looks right, plays slide with a beer bottle, has the guitar, amp and effects sounds all sorted, and pulls off all the 70s rock guitarist clichés very impressively (authentic too as he's been doing it since back then).

Artistically though I always felt he falls a bit short - his timing is often sloppy and his solos involve recycling certain licks again and again regardless of the song, without any real improvisational skills coming out. He's a local legend ok, but you'll also find other guitarists that are better, even on Walking Street on the same night. 

absolutely.....he relied on volume with talentless speed riffs and super slinky strings( as most thais do) ....speed kills and super slinky strings are for hacks....give me Angus Young style solo where every note is perfectly placed....slow and low..

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

absolutely.....he relied on volume with talentless speed riffs and super slinky strings( as most thais do) ....speed kills and super slinky strings are for hacks....give me Angus Young style solo where every note is perfectly placed....slow and low..

And had he ever played W/S wearing a Hannibal Lecter mask .. 

IMG_20180911_113413.jpg

7 hours ago, balo said:

Lam Morrison been travelling to Europe severaal times and played at concerts so yes I think its safe to say he is not just any guitar player.

may thai musicians have played in europe. similar to many filipino musicians coming to thailand.  many solid cover musicians.

jack thammarat is adept at playing stuff that guitarists generally recognize as esoteric or in the stratosphere (satriani). jack does not need to stick to the same farang request set list because gear companies sponsor him.

15 hours ago, balo said:

Lam Morrison been travelling to Europe severaal times and played at concerts so yes I think its safe to say he is not just any guitar player.

Correct, it was in Europe that he earned the "guitar king" title, in a play off against all comers!! Also toured with UFO and Deep Purple back in the day.....so yeah, not just any guitar player!

3 hours ago, LennyW said:

Also toured with UFO and Deep Purple back in the day

That's news to me .  

But it all started back in the 60's and 70's with his band V.I.P , he performed for American soldiers during the Vietnam war. They called him the Thai version of Jimmy Hendrix .  

Here he is back in 2014   

3 hours ago, balo said:

That's news to me .  

But it all started back in the 60's and 70's with his band V.I.P , he performed for American soldiers during the Vietnam war. They called him the Thai version of Jimmy Hendrix .  

Here he is back in 2014   

Read about some of his stuff here...http://loveamericamission.com/bio.html

And no mention of the bar where he played for 5/6 nights a week for 10 years or so.
[emoji846]

You might be able to sneak in a mention here maybe Dave.
If not I'll say I remember fondly seeing Lam,Mary, Snowman ? and Sek Loso live at the Blues Factory.

On 9/18/2018 at 11:44 AM, Chainsaw said:

No, just The Groove Junkies but I jammed with Jeff and the Soi Dogs many times in Bangkok.

Ahh ok, I was trying to remember when it was, certainly 10 years or more.

?

On 9/18/2018 at 12:28 PM, johng said:

You might be able to sneak in a mention here maybe Dave.
If not I'll say I remember fondly seeing Lam,Mary, Snowman ? and Sek Loso live at the Blues Factory.

Certainly had some great players over the years.

I think I can safely say that the bar put Lam back on the map a bit as it were by giving him a regular place to be seen and of course he helped the place have some great years.

?

Archived