BANGKOK 25 April 2019 06:56
webfact

"Guitar King" collides with Thai woman on way to gig at Walking Street

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

absolutely.....he relied on volume with talentless speed riffs and super slinky strings( as most thais do) ....speed kills and super slinky strings are for hacks....give me Angus Young style solo where every note is perfectly placed....slow and low..

And had he ever played W/S wearing a Hannibal Lecter mask .. 

IMG_20180911_113413.jpg

1 hour ago, Chainsaw said:

My band The Groove Junkies (Bangkok) played the Blues Factory many moons ago. Lam came and jammed along with us before his spot. Great musician and a cool guy.

Did you come down with Jeff and the Soi Dogs?

?

7 hours ago, balo said:

Lam Morrison been travelling to Europe severaal times and played at concerts so yes I think its safe to say he is not just any guitar player.

may thai musicians have played in europe. similar to many filipino musicians coming to thailand.  many solid cover musicians.

jack thammarat is adept at playing stuff that guitarists generally recognize as esoteric or in the stratosphere (satriani). jack does not need to stick to the same farang request set list because gear companies sponsor him.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, balo said:

Lam Morrison been travelling to Europe severaal times and played at concerts so yes I think its safe to say he is not just any guitar player.

Correct, it was in Europe that he earned the "guitar king" title, in a play off against all comers!! Also toured with UFO and Deep Purple back in the day.....so yeah, not just any guitar player!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LennyW said:

Also toured with UFO and Deep Purple back in the day

That's news to me .  

But it all started back in the 60's and 70's with his band V.I.P , he performed for American soldiers during the Vietnam war. They called him the Thai version of Jimmy Hendrix .  

Here he is back in 2014   

Edited by balo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, balo said:

That's news to me .  

But it all started back in the 60's and 70's with his band V.I.P , he performed for American soldiers during the Vietnam war. They called him the Thai version of Jimmy Hendrix .  

Here he is back in 2014   

Read about some of his stuff here...http://loveamericamission.com/bio.html

• Like 1

Great reading , he also played in my native country Norway , must have been back in the 80's he did the tour . 

On 9/11/2018 at 5:49 PM, davethailand said:

Did you come down with Jeff and the Soi Dogs?

?

No, just The Groove Junkies but I jammed with Jeff and the Soi Dogs many times in Bangkok.

And no mention of the bar where he played for 5/6 nights a week for 10 years or so.

You might be able to sneak in a mention here maybe Dave.
If not I'll say I remember fondly seeing Lam,Mary, Snowman ? and Sek Loso live at the Blues Factory.
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 11:44 AM, Chainsaw said:

No, just The Groove Junkies but I jammed with Jeff and the Soi Dogs many times in Bangkok.

Ahh ok, I was trying to remember when it was, certainly 10 years or more.

?

On 9/18/2018 at 12:28 PM, johng said:

You might be able to sneak in a mention here maybe Dave.
If not I'll say I remember fondly seeing Lam,Mary, Snowman ? and Sek Loso live at the Blues Factory.

Certainly had some great players over the years.

I think I can safely say that the bar put Lam back on the map a bit as it were by giving him a regular place to be seen and of course he helped the place have some great years.

?

• Like 1