Days Off The Booze

wgdanson

Just heard on radio that the BMC (British Medical Council ) has recommended that 'middle-aged' people have a couple of days off the wallop each week. The recom ended intake is 14 units per week, but if that is divided by 5 (2 days off) you have to have 3 drinks on the boozy days to catch up. If you could possibly manage 3 dry days, you got to have your 14 units in 4 days, so 3 and a half units a day. 

How the <deleted> do you get HALF A UNIT?

By the way, what are wine bottle stoppers for?

I seriously doubt they encourage maxing out every week, so half units are a little superfluous.

Besides, any good drinker who has found that last bottle of whiskey with just one sip left in it can tell you how that half unit works, and even a quarter and an eighth.  Hell, I used to squeeze the glass bottles to get that last 16th unit.

Yes, The Guardian had a story on that this morning:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/sep/10/middle-aged-drinkers-warned-to-have-more-alcohol-free-days

And some opinions already:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/10/alcohol-free-days-middle-aged-drinking-public-health-england

"Having a few deliberate alcohol-free days a week is a no-brainer, the same way as having a day or two without meat. It’s a small reduction that I won’t even notice. So sign me up. I mean, not tonight because there’s still half a bottle of wine taking up precious room in the fridge. But the day after that. Probably."

22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I was amazed reading here on TV a member was trying to cut back from 18 beers a day.

I have 18 beers a year. 

Why would you be  amazed at someone drinking 18 bottles a day on a forum sub section titled " I drink too much " ?

Why are you even reading here ? With nothing but petty sniping ?

No advice, no encouragement.

Good opening post and answers other than yours

Where is the ignore function.

14 minutes ago, seasia said:

Why would you be  amazed at someone drinking 18 bottles a day on a forum sub section titled " I drink too much " ? 

because I never knew a human could drink 18 beers a day. I could not drink that much water.

Why are you even reading here ? With nothing but petty sniping ? 

I was not sniping I was expressing my experience with alcohol and responding to the story.

Good opening post and answers other than yours

sorry.

There are two kinds of drinkers - binge drinkers and social drinkers, excluding alcoholics. A binge drinker has no problem staying off the juice; I speak from experience.  A social drinker has more of a problem I think. The reason is that for a binge drinker it's the exception to the rule, whilst for a social drinker it's part of their social fabric. I wonder which is more damaging, going off the rails every now and then or regularly consuming a bottle (or two) of wine everyday.

On 9/17/2018 at 1:02 AM, The manic said:

18 bottles is 9 pints. But 9 pretty awful pints!

9 pints of 5%abv every day is a lot of drink. Not wishing to appear pedantic but 18 x 320 ml is probably more like 10 pints. And "awful", I always used to think of it as drinkable but no more but lately I have really been enjoying it. That is Tiger, Tiger Light, Leo, so far I have not increased my consumption despite my increased pleasure.

53 minutes ago, nausea said:

There are two kinds of drinkers - binge drinkers and social drinkers, excluding alcoholics. A binge drinker has no problem staying off the juice; I speak from experience.  A social drinker has more of a problem I think. The reason is that for a binge drinker it's the exception to the rule, whilst for a social drinker it's part of their social fabric. I wonder which is more damaging, going off the rails every now and then or regularly consuming a bottle (or two) of wine everyday.

A bottle or two of wine every day is more than just social drinking. Are you of the opinion that a binge drinker does not touch it between binges?

5 minutes ago, rott said:

A bottle or two of wine every day is more than just social drinking. Are you of the opinion that a binge drinker does not touch it between binges?

A binge drinker, knows he's a binge drinker, and he's quite aware it's a big problem. The bottle or two of wine a day guy is maybe living in a false illusion. That's the difference. My point is that a binge drinker doesn't depend on alcohol to get through his daily life, it's a mechanism for letting off steam. And yeah, from my own personal experience, giving up alcohol for a year or two isn't a big problem, especially if health or livelihood is compromised. The problem is that once things are stable again the temptation to go on a binge is always there. 

3 hours ago, rott said:

Ideally. Such a binger drink has a far better habit than moderate tipplers who drink everyday.

Archived