CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

CharlieH

Questions and Answers on all ""Immigration" issues in Chiang Mai.

Posts that are off topic, argumentative, etc. will be aggressively removed to keep this topic with useful information for members.

This topic is for current details and members experience with immigration offices. 

Here is a link to the previous thread for reference purposes.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Chiangmai Immigration website.

krut.jpg

Moved to Chiang Mai Immigration

Immigration Chiang Mai Will move back to Immigration Chiangmai 71 Moo 3, Airport Road, Suthep, Muang Chiang Mai For further information, please contact the office of the Foreign Service Director. 0 5320 1755 Fax 0 5327 7510 Investigations 0 5328 2289 Call Center 1178 

Relocation of Chiang Mai Immigration

Chiang Mai Immigration will move to the Chiang Mai Immigration Building, at 71 Moo 3, Sanambin Road, Suthep, Muang Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai 50200 (near the airport) on September 24, 2018. For more information please contact General Staff and Service for Foreigner Sub-Division Tel: 0 5320 1755 Fax: 0 5327 7510 Investigation Sub-Division Tel: 0 5328 2289 Call Center 1178 

There will be some parking at the new/old Airport immigration offices.

Additional parking at the spa directly opposite immigration.Probably also available at the service stations for a fee. Central Airport Plaza, and a very  last resort airport car park.

Requirements for Annual Extension of Stay - Retirement (as of July 2018)

NOTE:  Be advised that an immigration officer may ask for additional supporting information at his or her discretion, particularly documentation of financial assets and proof of transfers to Thailand when a consular letter (affadavit) is used.  Accessibility and stability are the key factors.  Ideal for this purpose are copies of pension benefit letters with proof of their currency, regularity, and fund transfers to Thailand.

1.  Application for Extension of Temporary Stay (form TM7) w/ 4x6cm (blue background photo.

2.  Passport (w/current 90-Day report attached)

3A.  If funds are “seasoned” in Thailand, Bank Letter (no more than 7 days old) & copies of bank book ID page and pages confirming account balance. Funds must be accessible.  The simplest example is an annually-renewed fixed deposit Thai Bank account in the appropriate amount.

Bank books:  Must be updated w/in one business day reflecting seasoned (three months) prior to extension application)

or

3B.  “Home country” consulate letter affirming adequate appropriate pension income.

4.  Copies (all signed) of:

Passport ID page(s)

Passport page w/ current extension/permission-to-stay stamp

Pages showing stamps of original & all previous extension stamps and all      country entry stamps.  NOTE:  It is NOT necessary to make copies of pages from previous passports, but a copy of the transfer stamp noting information from previous passports in the current passport is required. (Normally this is found on the first “visa page” of the current passport with two small accompanying stamps reflecting the original and the current permission-to-stay dates.

Departure Card (TM6)

5.  Proof of residence (copies of lease with owner ID & owner tabian ban)

6.  Copy of current TM30 (Residence report)

7.  Bt1900

ADD for Dependent Extension of Stay for a spouse and all other eligible dependents

NOTE:  With prior applications sponsor and dependent(s) were allowed to apply for extensions together, but not always so in July 2018 when a dependent spouse was accompanying a sponsor applicant who had priority standing due to age.  The dependent had to have a second individual appointment.  (This basically doubled the amount of supporting financial paper required.)  Alternatively (if queue numbers are still available), the eligible spouse (if able) could stay in the regular queue with an adjacent following queue number.

1.  Copies of (a) Marriage certificate & for other dependents (b) proof of valid relationship (e.g., birth certificate), as applicable

2.  Sponsor’s  actual passport & copy of most recent extension of stay page

3   Copies of sponsor’s supporting financial information (as noted in 3 above).

NOTE:  Seasoned A/C(s) totaling at least Bt800,000 must show only one name.  If a joint account(s) held, the total amount seasoned must be not less than Bt160,000.

The above information is provided purposely without any personal opinion regarding immigration requirements and procedures.  It is sincerely hoped that other posts will be equally factual and carefully and fully reflect actual experience except opinions. Opinions can be posted elsewhere. I suggest that constructive comments and suggestions for improvement should be made in writing to the Chiang Mai Immigration Office given personally to a Chiang Mai Immigration manager.

Was Immigration this afternoon to help a friend out

From the morning numbers

90day Report 95
Education  and Visa  Extension  35
Tourist Visa 36
Re entry Permit 36

Plus it was not too busy as i have seen more people in the past

When i have been to do my paperwork

Hope this helps those who want to know the numbers

This was what  actually happened in the morning till 12 PM lunchtime

12 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:

Was Immigration this afternoon to help a friend out

From the morning numbers

90day Report 95
Education  and Visa  Extension  35
Tourist Visa 36
Re entry Permit 36

Plus it was not too busy as i have seen more people in the past

When i have been to do my paperwork

Hope this helps those who want to know the numbers

This was what  actually happened in the morning till 12 PM lunchtime

Was this how many people were in the queues at 8:30 am or how many people were processed in the morning? (These numbers seems more like how many were processed since they seem to work to a quota, ie. 65 ed/retirement extensions, 200 90-day reports, etc per day). 

I'm interested in knowing if people were turned away from the "education and (retirement/medical) visa extension" queue which always seems to be, say we say, over-subscribed.  

17 hours ago, Mapguy said:
Requirements for Annual Extension of Stay - Retirement (as of July 2018)

....If a joint account(s) held, the total amount seasoned must be not less than Bt1.6 million (2×800k)

[/quote)

That is very hard to believe.

To claify for others........

If it is a joint account immigration will want to see 1.6 million to accept the account when applying for the extension.

Some offices will not accept a joint account no matter how much is in the bank.

The advice is for the person applying for the extension based upon retirement is to have an account in their name only to avoid problems.

(Thanks to Ubon Joe for this advice)

For the last 2 days this is my experience arrive at 08.15 told no queue numbers left on Monday come back Tuesday at before 6am for retirement visa + reentry  I did every chair was taken had no choice but to enter the queue at the front sat on a chair as someone got up not my style but needs must got number 9 the doors opened at 08.35 the officer turned up at 08.45 first up a Korean man with paperwork issues 35mins to process 1 by now 2 more officers had arrived after the obligatory texting and pontificating  started processing about 10 more Koreans on one queue number to cut a long story short when I had finished including the re queue for reentry was 11.35 and they were only on number 19 in the original queue this is woeful by any standards and hope next year at the new building might be better equipped with more staff thank god that's only once a year they move on the 24/09 look forward to any update posts?  

Thanks, Charlie H, for starting a new topic on Immigration requirements and experiences in Chiang Mai.  

First, I apologize that I left off three zeros in my initial post regarding the minimum amount required in a joint account.  It is obviously Bt1,600,000, twice the amount for a single account holder! Sorry, no bargains! I don't believe there are other errors.  Hope not! 

I agree that holding accounts in a single name avoids a potential future problem.  To quote the information for the CHIANG MAI IMMIGRATION OFFICE:  "** Savings Deposit or Fixed account must show only one name** But if you show joint account not less than 1,600,000 Baht."  This could change.

For those who for whatever reason feel they must have a joint fixed deposit account because access is permitted to both parties, there is at least one other simple way to provide that access.  That is not to discuss here, however. Consult your bank and your accountant to discuss pros and cons.

Various requirements  are indeed changeable although for Long-Stay Retirement extensions they have been remarkable stable, in my experience, over ten years in Chiang Mai.  An exception would be the enforcement of the requirement for the TM30.  

And always remember, an officer has discretion to ask for additional information to supplement an application, particularly regarding financial documentation. It has been reported before but rarely at Chiang Mai that more (or clearer) information or documentation is needed to confirm residence or marriage (or other personal family association to an applicant) in the case of adding dependents.  

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

To claify for others........

If it is a joint account immigration will want to see 1.6 million to accept the account when applying for the extension.

Some offices will not accept a joint account no matter how much is in the bank.

The advice is for the person applying for the extension based upon retirement is to have an account in their name only to avoid problems.

(Thanks to Ubon Joe for this advice)

And different to a dependent extension of stay where 800,000 baht +  (Or pension/income equivalent) in the account of the main applicant , is required.

And remember, queuing yourself or line sitting, 2 tickets are required.

And copies of marriage certificate certified by your embassy.

I believe the major downside of this form of extension is that in the event of the death of THE  main applicant the dependent has only 7 days to leave the county to arrange other means staying/returning  to Thailand. Death of dependent, no major problems apart from the norm

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

For the last 2 days this is my experience arrive at 08.15 told no queue numbers left on Monday come back Tuesday at before 6am for retirement visa + reentry  I did every chair was taken had no choice but to enter the queue at the front sat on a chair as someone got up not my style but needs must got number 9 the doors opened at 08.35 the officer turned up at 08.45 first up a Korean man with paperwork issues 35mins to process 1 by now 2 more officers had arrived after the obligatory texting and pontificating  started processing about 10 more Koreans on one queue number to cut a long story short when I had finished including the re queue for reentry was 11.35 and they were only on number 19 in the original queue this is woeful by any standards and hope next year at the new building might be better equipped with more staff thank god that's only once a year they move on the 24/09 look forward to any update posts?  

Are you saying you literally jumped the queue so maybe somebody behind you further down the line did not get a ticket for that day?

" 5.  Proof of residence (copies of lease with owner ID & owner tabian ban) "

I have never been asked for this in the past 16 years and not last week when I did my new extension.  I WAS asked for TM30. 

If you used the U S Consul letter, that was proof of residence according to what an agent told me.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 hours ago, Bill97 said:

If you used the U S Consul letter, that was proof of residence according to what an agent told me.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I've never had to use a US Consul letter or show any other proof of residence; but have been required to show the TM30.

And in re to the comment on extensions of stay based on retirement "If it is a joint account immigration will want to see 1.6 million to accept the account when applying for the extension. Some offices will not accept a joint account no matter how much is in the bank."

This thread is about CM & CM Immigration. It is ABSOLUTELY NOT acceptable to CM IMM to present a joint account. Period. It can only be in the sole name of the applicant so it is not merely a requirement to "avoid problems".

In re to the comment on extensions of stay based on retirement "Home country consulate letter affirming adequate appropriate pension income"; income is not limited to just pensions- it can be investments or trusts, etc.  The monthly amount required to be affirmed to (and proven if requested)- it's 60,000THB per month- which will be calculated by CM IMM based on the USD amount you are affirming to, at the exchange rate CM IMM applies. Be careful here; my last extension CM IMM applied an exchange rate of $1=32THB, even tho the bank rates were all higher than 32THB at that time.

4 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

I've never had to use a US Consul letter or show any other proof of residence; but have been required to show the TM30.

And in re to the comment on extensions of stay based on retirement "If it is a joint account immigration will want to see 1.6 million to accept the account when applying for the extension. Some offices will not accept a joint account no matter how much is in the bank."

This thread is about CM & CM Immigration. It is ABSOLUTELY NOT acceptable to CM IMM to present a joint account. Period. It can only be in the sole name of the applicant so it is not merely a requirement to "avoid problems".

In re to the comment on extensions of stay based on retirement "Home country consulate letter affirming adequate appropriate pension income"; income is not limited to just pensions- it can be investments or trusts, etc.  The monthly amount required to be affirmed to (and proven if requested)- it's 60,000THB per month- which will be calculated by CM IMM based on the USD amount you are affirming to, at the exchange rate CM IMM applies. Be careful here; my last extension CM IMM applied an exchange rate of $1=32THB, even tho the bank rates were all higher than 32THB at that time.

When did the monthly income requirement change to 60,000 Thai baht?

We completed our visa extension and re-entry today before lunch

These figures are not totally correct just an indication

Around 60/70 people in the retirement/medical/education line

4 people in tourist line

10 people in 90 day line 

Q card given out at 0800hrs

Opened at 0830hrs

All sections started on time with the exception of the retirement/medical/education line which started at 0915hrs

We were finished by 1030hrs (Q 12) and obtained the re-entry visa, all finished by 1130hrs

I thought it was a quiet day at Immigration, not to many people

I talked to an agent today about getting my Extension of Stay - Retirement.  Since my last Ext. was done at Chaengwattana, Bkk, I was told I would need to be examined by IMM to prove why I moved to Chiang Mai.  Anyone else have this experience?

4 hours ago, Tracyb said:

I talked to an agent today about getting my Extension of Stay - Retirement.  Since my last Ext. was done at Chaengwattana, Bkk, I was told I would need to be examined by IMM to prove why I moved to Chiang Mai.  Anyone else have this experience?

Is your money etc all seasoned/monthly income and or accounted for both during your last extension and this one (i.e. not using an agent to bypass the Financial requirements)?

If it is all above board there is no reason for any I/O to ask for "Proof".

PS; is it a CM Agent?

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Is your money etc all seasoned/monthly income and or accounted for both during your last extension and this one (i.e. not using an agent to bypass the Financial requirements)?

If it is all above board there is no reason for any I/O to ask for "Proof".

PS; is it a CM Agent?

Not only that, but if a TM30 has been properly filed, that would seem to be "proof" enough of having taken up residency in Chiang Mai.

54 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Not only that, but if a TM30 has been properly filed, that would seem to be "proof" enough of having taken up residency in Chiang Mai.

Not only that but I assume a TM28 has also been done prior to the TM30.

If so my comments in my previous post re funding etc mean there should be no further "proof" required.

I am still interested to know if this is a CM agent or perhaps an agent at the previous "address" making this claim of "proof".

8 hours ago, Tracyb said:

the odd part is the "Why" which nobody has addressed

Why should one have to prove why they moved? And how can one prove it if it is just subjective/personal choice?

On 9/14/2018 at 6:17 PM, scottiejohn said:

Not only that but I assume a TM28 has also been done prior to the TM30.

If so my comments in my previous post re funding etc mean there should be no further "proof" required.

I am still interested to know if this is a CM agent or perhaps an agent at the previous "address" making this claim of "proof".

Hi...  This was an agent in CM.  In BKK I always did the ext. of stay myself at CW.  This is the first time I used an agent, mostly because I was just not interested in queuing up at 2am or hiring a line sitter.  The CM agent was clear that IMM would want to interview me.  They elaborated further and explained that CNX IMM have begun this inquiry process in the past month because they have found applicants in CM with Previous BKK extensions who were not “entered into the computer system.”  I got the impression after further conversations with agent that IMM was more interested in whether or not I actually did live in BKK on the date of my last ext. of stay.  Apparently some unscrupulous agents have been using someone with a stamp from the BKK jurisdiction for fake extensions. 

I guess they’ll look me up in the system and when they find my info they’ll approve my extension.  I also have some documents that can substantiate my prior residence in BKK.

My tm30has been in place since I relocated here several months ago.  When I filed it I also tried to file the tm28. They told me that I didn’t need to and just took my tm30.  That was at the end of 2017 so I can’t vouch for what they may be asking for today...  

I am using income.... not seasoned funds.   I did provide further documentation to verify that my income is legit along with the consulate letter.  Everything went to immigration office for “processing” and I’m now waiting to hear back.  I’ll keep you posted as this develops.

Went to the new/old offices yesterday.

There seems to be quite a lot of parking allocated for visitors at the front of the building and if as they said parking is also available at the spa over the road then probably adequate. Did not appear to be any specifically for handicapped but may have missed them.

Mynamar, Cambodia.Laos workers etc will still be serviced but at the refurbished old buildings to the right as you enter.

There was also a sign for a cafeteria, didn't see one for any agent(s)-yet. ?

Hello everyone.

I hope I'm right here. My question is very simple, but the answer seems to be very hard to find for me, unfortunately. So, I hope that you nice people here might be able to help me ?

I am from Germany and planning to go to Thailand for 3-4 months (tourist visa + 30 day extension + maybe one visa run) for the first time in a condominium/apartment instead of a hotel. How should I report my stay at the immigration office so that I don't get any problems when extending if I live:

- in a condo rented via airbnb.com

- with my girlfriend who is renting a condo in a big condominium complex (so, she is not the owner)

- or something else you could recommend me?

Thanks a lot in advance ?

Last year when I did my marriage extension I had to photocopy the map I had drawn onto a special ‘map’ form

To get ahead of the game this year I thought I would get the ‘map’ form before hand (and pick up a TM 7)

When I asked the young chap outside about it today he said there is no need to draw a map anymore, all they wanted was a copy of the TM30!

Can anyone who has done a marriage extension recently confirm whether or not maps are still required?

2 hours ago, narkeddiver said:

Last year when I did my marriage extension I had to photocopy the map I had drawn onto a special ‘map’ form

To get ahead of the game this year I thought I would get the ‘map’ form before hand (and pick up a TM 7)

When I asked the young chap outside about it today he said there is no need to draw a map anymore, all they wanted was a copy of the TM30!

Can anyone who has done a marriage extension recently confirm whether or not maps are still required?

Did ours last month and the Boy chucked out a few photo's and said we had too many but, nothing said about map and the Female Officer took everything including map.

Archived