CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

CharlieH

TM28 and TM30 - Notification... of the Residence Where Alien Has Stayed

This is a report of actual experience only at Chiang Mai Immigration.  The two forms are attached.

The TM28 form has never been used by me or for a member of my family of resident aliens. The TM30 form has been used twice, once originally settling in and again for one subsequent in-country move.

I have always reported on behalf of the householder.  In the first case, I was a long-lease-holder and appeared as such on the Tabian Baan. That was acceptable some years ago. Recent experience should be reported by someone else.  For the second (short-term rented) residence I have a limited POA authorising the tenant (me) making the report on behalf of the householder, but such has never been requested by Chiang Mai Immigration after the initial report providing copies of the householder's ID, Tabian bann and the lease.

I also have signed authorisation from my wife to report on her behalf --- and she for me --- but this has not so far ever been requested.  

Chiang Mai Immigration has never questioned marriage or dependency other than with original reporting when documentation of legal relationship has been provided.

Note that the TM30 is a two-page form. (Incidentally, CM Immigration has never complained about this "Bangkok Office" form being used.) This is very handy for reporting everyone in the residence when the "primary place of residence" is changed.  For someone added later, there has never been a problem, but a full TM30 report has been made with all the supporting documentation for each new individual:  passport ID page(s), latest entry stamp page, permission to stay stamp page, and copy of TM7 (Landing Card).

Note that for condo ownership or rental the particulars of notification vary.  Someone with recent experience should comment on their experience.  There are also a few sensible descriptions of that plus the overall situation.  One is here:  https://perfecthomes.co.th/tm030-registration-thailand/.

We have never reported upon return home in Chiang Mai of travel in Thailand, and there has never been a penalty.  That could possibly change, but recent news has been that the Chiang Mai office does not require such reports.  However,  we have always reported travel outside the country upon return within 7 days with no fine (standard Bt1600) ever levied.  Others will have to report on recent experience with short-term visitors.

Boiling it down, we always report foreign travel but never have  reported in-country travel upon return home. Our on-going reports have amounted to nothing more than handing over the passport(s) and getting the current TM30 receipt date-stamped or initialed with a date.  We're running out of room for more stamps on the receipts!  I suppose one day a new receipt form will be needed, or maybe the reverse blank side of the form will be used.

tm28.pdf tm30.pdf

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for my cluelessness, but I've read the thread and have come to the conclusion that CM immigration has, as of today, been moved back to near the airport.

I'm getting nervous as this will be my first extension (of a 60 day TV, USA passport) and the day is coming soon.

I am still confused: do I need to show up with a plane ticket out of the country? For the hopeful date of the extension?

What I really want to do is go to Laos and get another 60 day TV after this hopeful 30 day extension is exhausted. 

Doesn't immigration know exactly what I'm after? Do I need to buy throw-away plane tickets to satisfy them?

If anyone has any stories, tips, advice, new info I would love to hear it!

18 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

Sorry for my cluelessness, but I've read the thread and have come to the conclusion that CM immigration has, as of today, been moved back to near the airport.

I'm getting nervous as this will be my first extension (of a 60 day TV, USA passport) and the day is coming soon.

I am still confused: do I need to show up with a plane ticket out of the country? For the hopeful date of the extension?

What I really want to do is go to Laos and get another 60 day TV after this hopeful 30 day extension is exhausted. 

Doesn't immigration know exactly what I'm after? Do I need to buy throw-away plane tickets to satisfy them?

If anyone has any stories, tips, advice, new info I would love to hear it!

Have ro renew/extend my Non I O based on marriage soon and would appreciate knowing how others have found the process/queing time at the revamped office.. Not interested in using an agent.

I went to Promenada today at 9:30 am and saw it closed both upstairs and downstairs. It looks quite deserted now.

So off I went to the new building, it was my first time there. This place is worse than Promenada because the space is so cramped. 

The residence cert section is now on the same floor as the rest.

As usual, each officer list of document requirements are different. I met officer A a month back, and she asked for my S&P document and I explained the details to her, then today I met officer B who was completely confused why I needed to submit that document with another address and told me that document was not needed. So everything was delayed because officer A asked me to submit something I shouldn't have one month ago. So I have to go again tomorrow!

The only improvement I see is that there is a queue numbering display instead of calling out with their tiny voices.

On 9/24/2018 at 9:20 AM, Mahseer said:

Updated my TM30 this afternoon all pretty painless. Arrived at 1400 and out the door by 1425 which considering this was day 1 and also a Monday I consider decent.

Desk is number 1 on the ground floor to the right (2 is 90 day) just queue up then hand your passport over. The young lady simply stuck on a post it note with assigned number which you should take note off then take a seat. Passport returned by adjacent lady calling out numbers in batches or an officer showing passports and calling the name. I didn't hear my number but heard others beyond so enquired at the desk and was handed an American passport which being British I obviously declined! 

Parking? The compound was packed out with lateral parking everywhere but after 2 laps found a vacant spot. 

Place was packed but TM30 and 90 days were being processed rapidly so no complaints.

Just to clarify, you are saying TM30 reporting is in the main new building and not building 3 at the back (former investigation building).

Also, can TM30 be updated up to 7 days after arriving back in CM or is it 48 hours of arrival ?

16 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

Just to clarify, you are saying TM30 reporting is in the main new building and not building 3 at the back (former investigation building).

Also, can TM30 be updated up to 7 days after arriving back in CM or is it 48 hours of arrival ?

TM30 is in the new main building at desk 1 on the ground floor to the right. I was told on more than one occasion that once registered you have up to 7 days from date of arrival to report but no doubt others have heard different.

I actually went to building 3 Friday around 1530 straight from the airport and the only thing in there was a bloke with a broom!

7 minutes ago, Maybole said:

I am hoping to do 90 day report this week. Please confirm that this office is still at Promenada.

Promenada is no more as far as immigration are concerned. You need to go to the new building at the old location near the airport and find desk number 2 which is ground floor to the right.

4 hours ago, Mahseer said:

TM30 is in the new main building at desk 1 on the ground floor to the right. I was told on more than one occasion that once registered you have up to 7 days from date of arrival to report but no doubt others have heard different.

I actually went to building 3 Friday around 1530 straight from the airport and the only thing in there was a bloke with a broom!

I was at Building 3 the day before (Thursday, September 20th) and, while partially cleaned out,  a few staff and a computers were still there so I could update my TM30 in the usual 5 minutes.

You indicate that TM30's are handled in the new building on the ground floor (desk 1 to the right).  The regular Immigration people at Promenada also handled TM30 filings and updating (on the second floor) while at the same time the Investigation group in Building 3 at the old (now new) site also handled them (and in a much quicker fashion).  What I'm wondering is whether one can bypass desk 1 on the first floor and simply go up to the third floor where the Building 3 people are now located and handle TM30 business there (it's likely faster with them).  I'll eventually try that but would appreciate anybody attempting to do it on the 3rd floor to post their experience here.

12 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

How does one contact the Line Sitters?

Thanks

go to Immigration Office 7am M-F and talk to them

2 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Hehe this is how it use to look in the old place now the new place before they did the last move to Promanade

The big line has nothing to do with us, it is Burmese, Lao and Chinese workers who are serviced in the old building.  Hehe???

This morning I went to immigration again at 8 am to collect my residence cert.

I could see three queues, the longest queue was the retirement and education visa queue. I saw it snaking from the front to the back of the building in a U-Shape.

Imagine standing there for few hours with the sun (or rain) shining down on them. 

I prefer Promenada, at least the queues were sheltered.

This looks so horrible.

Parking inside was also full at 8 am so I had to be rerouted somewhere where I have to pay parking fees.

Promenada is much better for parking too.

The number of food stalls were also much less than Promenada. I could see only one or two stalls open at 9 am and prices charged were more expensive than Promenada.

I couldn't see any shops around where I can photocopy some documents just in case I forgot to copy certain pages.

27 minutes ago, EricTh said:

This morning I went to immigration again at 8 am to collect my residence cert.

I could see three queues, the longest queue was the retirement and education visa queue. I saw it snaking from the front to the back of the building in a U-Shape.

Imagine standing there for few hours with the sun (or rain) shining down on them. 

I prefer Promenada, at least the queues were sheltered.

This looks so horrible.

Parking inside was also full at 8 am so I had to be rerouted somewhere where I have to pay parking fees.

Promenada is much better for parking too.

The number of food stalls were also much less than Promenada. I could see only one or two stalls open at 9 am and prices charged were more expensive than Promenada.

I couldn't see any shops around where I can photocopy some documents just in case I forgot to copy certain pages.

If the retirement q etc was snaking around the building there must be an agent quartered nearby waiting to pounce. Any signs of one close by?

NOT an excellent plan unless just extending a tourist visa is the task to be accomplished. And, no, you can not extend visas at an airport, as far as I know.  You can get a re-entry visa if that is appropropriate for the visa you hold already.

No one has yet, I think, reported on the stuation at the new office for extending tourist visas.  It was quite simple and not time-cosuming at Promenada compared to other services.

1 minute ago, YogaVeg said:

Why is flying to Bangkok not a good idea?

I've got plenty of time and no commitment here in the north, although I'm not done exploring up here, a week in Bangkok sounds like fun.

If I can save two days messing around with CM imm queues it might be favorable.

Of course, that all depends on what awaits me Bangkok immigration-wise...

You have been told that it is easy to do extend a tourist visa even in Chiang Mai, that is correct,it is the long stayers here who tend to get screwed around.

sorry, I didn't know about that.

OK, how about a 70 year old?

With that line and weather an agent for most of them.

Or what I do which is pay a watcher who works there. I let them when I need to go and they call me in the afternoon if there is nobody waiting. Never takes more than 5 or 6 days before I get the call.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

If the retirement q etc was snaking around the building there must be an agent quartered nearby waiting to pounce. Any signs of one close by?

I didn't see any.

I talked to an English teacher doing his teaching visa while waiting and he said his school sent a line-sitter to queue up for him and he just have to come in when immigration opens the door.

15 hours ago, moe666 said:

Damn thats a relief, heheheh. I will just have my agent do it

We are all getting pushed to use agents or it`s either take a chance in the queue maybe waiting for hours or no more slots left on the day.

So far it seems nothing has changed except the location.

Does anyone know if the Tian agency is still at the Prom or still operating somewhere else?

4 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

We are all getting pushed to use agents or it`s either take a chance in the queue maybe waiting for hours or no more slots left on the day.

So far it seems nothing has changed except the location.

Does anyone know if the Tian agency is still at the Prom or still operating somewhere else?

Screenshot_2018-09-27-06-16-03-66.png

8 hours ago, moe666 said:

In the airport location where is the q located for letter of residence, will need one for driver licenses renewal

Surprisingly, not every service has a queue.

I asked the immigration officer outside on a simple question like 'where is the residence cert queue?' and she answered 'we have to clear those other queues first'. 

Finally, it dawn on me that there is no queue for residence cert, it's so chaotic. I ran around looking for a 'residence cert queue' board but couldn't find any.

When those other queues were cleared, nobody gave me any indication so I went to one of the officers at the counter inside and asked. She brought out a box of certs and I got mine. Absolutely chaotic.

I asked another officer and got to know that officer at counter 13 receive applications but that is way at the back and not a front counter. So now there front and back counters.

The front counters issue queue numbers to call on the display but not the back. LOL.

Archived