CM Immigration Q&A (2018)

CharlieH

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new changes for retirement extension state that 800,000 should be in the bank 2 months before, 3 months after and 400,000 for the remainder of the year.  However, I have heard that CM Immigration are still insisting on 3 months before renewal, can anyone confirm ? 

20 minutes ago, nichopaulcnx said:

The new changes for retirement extension state that 800,000 should be in the bank 2 months before, 3 months after and 400,000 for the remainder of the year.  However, I have heard that CM Immigration are still insisting on 3 months before renewal, can anyone confirm ? 

Yes Chaing Mai make there own decisions

They can not obey a Government Act as per the official release

Not like other countries

Shame on them

6 hours ago, nichopaulcnx said:

Update, maybe of interest, I went to CM Immigration this morning and asked about the new Order issued in January 2019.

Spoke to an Immigration official about retirement extensions and  given these documents and assured these are the latest requirements ! 

imm.jpg

imm 1.jpg

1 hour ago, nichopaulcnx said:

Update, maybe of interest, I went to CM Immigration this morning and asked about the new Order issued in January 2019.

Spoke to an Immigration official about retirement extensions and  given these documents and assured these are the latest requirements ! 

imm.jpg

imm 1.jpg

Please note that 7.3 (combo) can NOT be used unless in conjunction with Embassy/Consulate affidavit.  'Was refused this option today because my Consulate no longer participates.  However, in the case of section 7 (65K+), the IO mentioned he "could be flexible" with regard to the affidavit requirement.

This seems a new CM variation on the original order...

1 hour ago, chingmai331 said:

They also demanded of me 'where did you get the 800K baht?' 

So what did you tell them? I understand that if the embassy does not provide affidavits that the income option (total or part) would be decided based on convincing documentation, whatever that is, but I think you need a social security statement or pension benefit letter or at least something solid. That seems a bit shaky. At any rate, I've been here for many years and have never been asked a stupid question like that.  Everyone has always been very friendly and helpful.  

Went to immigration today July 31st to extend my stay based on retirement and procure a reentry permit.  Arrived at 0945 hr and was out the door at 1115 hr.  Used the 800K in the bank to satisfy the income requirement for the first time (Previously used the income affidavit) and was never questioned where the funds originated.

The reentry process now require copy of the TM30, last TM6 and the passport page stamped with latest arrival.  This was not necessary last year.

Kudos to Thai immigration and their interns.  English was well spoken and understood, even one Chinese intern at the information desk.  The interns were very helpful and without hesitation politely aided me when asked to make a single page copy.  My experience today was unprecedented and hope it continues.

9 hours ago, ProbPossConf said:

The reentry process now require copy of the TM30, last TM6 and the passport page stamped with latest arrival.  This was not necessary last year.

These should be stapled into your passport which is required, of course. I always assume such things might be required so make my own passport copies and include every page (with something on it). If you have a computer, it's a good idea to scan every page and combine into a PDF file and update any changes. If you have a printer, copies are easy to do when needed.

39 minutes ago, cusanus said:

These should be stapled into your passport which is required, of course. I always assume such things might be required so make my own passport copies and include every page (with something on it). If you have a computer, it's a good idea to scan every page and combine into a PDF file and update any changes. If you have a printer, copies are easy to do when needed.

If you live in Phuket too busy for that!

15 hours ago, MamaSan said:

Please note that 7.3 (combo) can NOT be used unless in conjunction with Embassy/Consulate affidavit.  'Was refused this option today because my Consulate no longer participates.  However, in the case of section 7 (65K+), the IO mentioned he "could be flexible" with regard to the affidavit requirement.

This seems a new CM variation on the original order...

With CM Immigration rules and regulations changing with the wind, it makes me wonder just who is the ringleader of this circus.

33 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

With CM Immigration rules and regulations changing with the wind, it makes me wonder just who is the ringleader of this circus.

Seems BJ,s improvements were not as popular as made out!

5 hours ago, Mahseer said:

For retirement extension if the 800k is in a fixed deposit account do you still need to update the passbook prior to application and also secure a bank letter confirming. thanks

My understanding is that you do not, but my question is why wouldn't you bother just to make sure? It only makes sense that you would have to update it because what is to say that all the money hadn't been withdrawn prior to the maturity date? But pretty sure when this subject came up before that the consensus was you didn't have to update. And, yeah, you definitely need a bank letter, so why not go in that same morning and they will update the books at that time for you? That's how I do it.

9 hours ago, Olmate said:

If you live in Phuket too busy for that!

Oh, really? Then you have to pay a service for making copies and that takes more time and inconvenience. Sure, if you don't have a permanent residence and aren't hanging out here for long, or you aren't puter savvy, then a computer and printer isn't worth the trouble, but if you're on a retirement visa or otherwise here for several years or more, then it's well worth it. 

On 8/1/2019 at 9:07 AM, Mahseer said:

For retirement extension if the 800k is in a fixed deposit account do you still need to update the passbook prior to application and also secure a bank letter confirming.

thanks

Yes you do and I always do it the day before which has never been questioned in 12 yrs at CM Immigration.

Bangkok Bank, as well as their letter provide me with 2 photocopies of the updated pass book, (name ,account page and deposit details page)

I just leave the 800,000 baht in there and take out the accrued interest when due.

14 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Yes you do and I always do it the day before which has never been questioned in 12 yrs at CM Immigration.

Bangkok Bank, as well as their letter provide me with 2 photocopies of the updated pass book, (name ,account page and deposit details page)

I just leave the 800,000 baht in there and take out the accrued interest when due.

A few months ago I was told by the IO processing my extension based on retirement and a fixed deposit account of 800K, that an update to the passbook was not required- just the bank letter- as his rationale was that so long as the term of the deposit account had not expired, the account holder wouldn't be withdrawing any funds prior to application for the extension; the bank letter attesting to the minimum (or more) amount of 800K was sufficient.

Still, I agree that since you are already in your bank obtaining the bank letter, get your passbook updated the same day, anyways.

1 hour ago, jeffandgop said:

A few months ago I was told by the IO processing my extension based on retirement and a fixed deposit account of 800K, that an update to the passbook was not required- just the bank letter- as his rationale was that so long as the term of the deposit account had not expired, the account holder wouldn't be withdrawing any funds prior to application for the extension; the bank letter attesting to the minimum (or more) amount of 800K was sufficient.

Still, I agree that since you are already in your bank obtaining the bank letter, get your passbook updated the same day, anyways.

Although its a fixed account for a stated period there is nothing to stop you withdrawing any amount anytime you want, you just lose the interest you would have earned had you left it untouched.The officer you ran across may not be aware of that fact

3 hours ago, stament said:

Quick one, I am arriving late Friday night. What are the latest requirements for TM30 at CM and are they really open on Saturdays?(read on a thread)

Thanks

We were told a couple of days ago that as long as the owner had reported (ours does it online) and providing that we had no business to conduct with 'downstairs' or the main immigration office, there was no need for us to go and report as it was on the system as soon as the owner does it.  Also told that if we have business downstairs, i.e. extension/90 day report, then we should call in upstairs first to get the TM30 receipt/slip in our passports signed.

This has definitely changed, as late as the end of June we were told that we still had to have the slip in our passports stamped each time we entered the country, even though the landlady does the reporting online.

They were open weekends for TM30 reporting, but now that they're telling people that they don't have to take any action this may have changed or is likely to in the future.

2 hours ago, Konini said:

We were told a couple of days ago that as long as the owner had reported (ours does it online) and providing that we had no business to conduct with 'downstairs' or the main immigration office, there was no need for us to go and report as it was on the system as soon as the owner does it.  Also told that if we have business downstairs, i.e. extension/90 day report, then we should call in upstairs first to get the TM30 receipt/slip in our passports signed.

This has definitely changed, as late as the end of June we were told that we still had to have the slip in our passports stamped each time we entered the country, even though the landlady does the reporting online.

They were open weekends for TM30 reporting, but now that they're telling people that they don't have to take any action this may have changed or is likely to in the future.

As of last visit, 22 July, you can go to Immigration (1st floor) 08:30 - 16:30 on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays in the Chiang Mai office to complete a TM30 report.  And, yes, for return from abroad, the requirement for a TM30 is strict.  However, I do not know if there is any leeway of a few days or so, as before, except when arriving after office hours.

On 8/3/2019 at 3:13 PM, Mapguy said:

As of last visit, 22 July, you can go to Immigration (1st floor) 08:30 - 16:30 on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays in the Chiang Mai office to complete a TM30 report.  And, yes, for return from abroad, the requirement for a TM30 is strict.  However, I do not know if there is any leeway of a few days or so, as before, except when arriving after office hours.

Thanks for the info re Saturday. Is it a requirement for myself and my Thai wife to come into immigration or can one of us do it for me? Don't want to drag 3 kids to immigration, hence the question.

Cheers

Stament, your situation is not completely clear.  I understand that your wife is Thai.  I can only assume that your children are also Thai.  The requirement for TM30 reporting upon return from out of country is for foreigners, so you alone would be reporting.  If foreign, the children must also get a TM30 receipt.  I do not know for certain but I doubt that it would be required for them to accompany you. For such minors I am guessing that you could bring their passports and some proof of paternity and residence, and that would be quite sufficient.  Their exit and re-entry would be readily apparent from Immigration departure and entry stamps matching yours. And they would have been listed on your TM28 as "accompanying family members.

Otherwise, if no one can give you a definitive answer, then -- if you want to be conservative -- take them, too, and also take them to MacDonalds!

No need to take the kids. No need to go yourself if you have previously reported. Wife or anybody can take the passports in. See people there with a fist full of pps every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

9 hours ago, Mapguy said:

Stament, your situation is not completely clear.  I understand that your wife is Thai.  I can only assume that your children are also Thai.  The requirement for TM30 reporting upon return from out of country is for foreigners, so you alone would be reporting.  If foreign, the children must also get a TM30 receipt.  I do not know for certain but I doubt that it would be required for them to accompany you. For such minors I am guessing that you could bring their passports and some proof of paternity and residence, and that would be quite sufficient.  Their exit and re-entry would be readily apparent from Immigration departure and entry stamps matching yours. And they would have been listed on your TM28 as "accompanying family members.

Otherwise, if no one can give you a definitive answer, then -- if you want to be conservative -- take them, too, and also take them to MacDonalds!

Apologies to be clear my wife and kids are Thai, it's just me who is a foreigner. Can either by wife or I go to report along with all the valid documentation or is there a preference? 

9 hours ago, Bill97 said:

No need to take the kids. No need to go yourself if you have previously reported. Wife or anybody can take the passports in. See people there with a fist full of pps every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I reported with my wife a few months back but I'm currently out of the country and will be returning to CM late Friday night so planned on going Sat AM to Immigration with all the docs in my own if that's allowable by Immigration.

Archived